Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've started using my spinning gear a bit more lately and I'm having some serious problems with my line.

I'm using spinning gear for weightless senkos and light shaky heads. The problems I'm having is crazy line twist resulting in all kinds of tangles and birds nest caught up in my line guides. I'm having to pull out 10 feet of line every 30mins to an hour.

I'm using one of my favorite lines (for baitcasting that is), P-Line FluroClear in 8lb test.

I understand that line twist is a common issue with spinning gear but trust me, what I'm experiencing is not normal.

What types of line can I use to solve this issue? I want sensitivity and low visibility; I also can't afford to go with one of them crazy Japanese lines that go for $30 a spool. Advice please. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
3,062 Posts
Derrick go with a mono line.Im trying the same line on a spinning just havent used it yet.Thanks for the heads up.

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Yeah mono will be much better on your spinning gear. Fluorocarbon line tends to be a nightmare on spinning gear. Hope the mono line will work out better for you.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Line twists don't necessarily happen with spinning gear. It normally has to do with the type of bait used or a few reels on the market that have inferior roller bearings. Drop shot has always been the big line twister for me as well as wacky.

Like stated I'd check the type of line first.

·
Premium Member
11,453 Posts
Derrick, I have gone to all braid on my spinning reels, it is much more forgiving. I use Diawa samuari 15# test which is the same dia as 4lb mono. If line visibility is an issue you can always use a leader. So far I have not had any issues with the visibility of the line, but I dont really fish super clear water. 4# dia is so small I have to use reading glassed to tie a knot, but of course im old. :D The good thing about the braid is it doesnt wear out very fast and will last a really long time, if it starts fraying, just pull the line off the reel and reverse it. Just make sure you use some mono, or floro backing on the spool before you attach the braid, it has a nasty habit of slipping on the spool if you dont have a way to secure it tightly.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Derrick- I do a lot of finesse fishing with spinning gear. Line twist can be a nightmare. Here are a few things that help me keep it sane. You may already be doing them, but I thought I'd throw them out:

1. Always close the bail manually
2. Make sure the line is spooled on correctly. Sometimes I have to flip the spool of line several times to keep it from twisting too much
3. When you get a chance, drag a cast and a half worth of line behind the boat when you're on the trolling motor. This will allow the water to 'straighten the line. Pinching the line while reeling it back on will give it a little tightness on the reel
4. Try a swivel above a dropshot, Fluke or Senko.

Hope those help! :thumbup01:

·
Premium Member
4,943 Posts
Toad said:
Derrick- I do a lot of finesse fishing with spinning gear. Line twist can be a nightmare. Here are a few things that help me keep it sane. You may already be doing them, but I thought I'd throw them out:

2. Make sure the line is spooled on correctly. Sometimes I have to flip the spool of line several times to keep it from twisting too much
3. When you get a chance, drag a cast and a half worth of line behind the boat when you're on the trolling motor. This will allow the water to 'straighten the line. Pinching the line while reeling it back on will give it a little tightness on the reel

All good things to do. I use flouro on some and braid on others, line conditioner is a must, specially with flouro. Some times I'll just cut off my bait, and let out up to half the spool and drag it behind the boat while it's at idle. Then I hold the line in a cloth to clean it and put a little tension on as I reel it back on. This is a very good thing to do the day before a tourny. Sometimes a swivel can be a very good idea, just don't wind it into the guides.
Rodney

·
Registered
612 Posts
When spooling the reel make sure the reel and the line are rotating in the same direction, i.e. the new line comes off the EDGE of the spool the same direction the reel pickup rotates. Never let the new line spool rotate, lay it on the floor. Every rotation of your reel puts 1/2 of a twist in the line, and it takes it out when casting, but you should close your reel manually to keep the number equal. The difference in the size of the reel spool and the size of the new line spool can add up to a line twist too. If in doubt, let the line stream out of the boat as stated above, keep the rod tip high and put tension on it as you rewind it. It will still pick up a twist as you cast, but as you reel it back in it should equal out. I do not use fluro, but I do notice that very thin lines tend to birds nest a lot. You should also have at least 1/16" of spool or more showing after the line is all in, too close to the lip will tangle. If you do not have some tension on your line, it will develop loops which will catch on line as you cast and cause tangles. Even if you do everything suggested, some tangles are inevitable, but you can reduce them with these tips.

·
Premium Member
6,888 Posts
Derrick all very good ideas here, they should help solve your problem. I use Braid or Mono on mine and don't have a problem :dunno:

·
Registered
422 Posts
x's3

Toad said:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Toad hit it on the head. Floro does the same for me and a placing a swivel above the sinker has reduced that significantly. a number of times I have taken off the jig or lure and let the line out to take the twist out.

Even on my center pin I get line twist, again using a swivel has helped. I am also thinking it may be from light tackle.

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or not. I use Berkley's flouro trans line and I don't have your problem. I do rereel my line before tournaments. I hook it at the end of my trucks tailgate with a swivel and walk the length of my driveway. It's a little more than 500 feet. Then I reel the line back in. Through a clean cloth with KVD line & lure.

As for the dropshot, I'm going to use the VMC spinshot hook. The hook spins so it should stop line twist.

I also use the Berkley's nano line too.

·
Premium Member
11,453 Posts
iamski said:
I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or not. I use Berkley's flouro trans line and I don't have your problem. I do rereel my line before tournaments. I hook it at the end of my trucks tailgate with a swivel and walk the length of my driveway. It's a little more than 500 feet. Then I reel the line back in. Through a clean cloth with KVD line & lure.

As for the dropshot, I'm going to use the VMC spinshot hook. The hook spins so it should stop line twist.

I also use the Berkley's nano line too.
Iv heard of others using this technique to spool their reels Matt. Im gong to give it a try, sounds like that should eliminate all twist when spooling the reel. Thanks. :thumbup01: :clap: :clap: :clap:

·
Registered
474 Posts
Try switching to the CX-Premium. I have had troubles with the flouro as well. The Premium has the benefits of flouro and handles like mono. One thing that I notice, Don't over cast. When I cast hard, I seem to start getting little tangles on spinning gear. Let the rod do the work. Try to get the line to come off the reel nice and smooth. No matter how hard you try, light baits only go so far.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I know your pain Derick. I just got in my Nanofill 8 lbs test and spooled it on 2 of my spinning rods. I know it's not supposed to tangle but on mine it does. One is my drop shot rod and the other is for jerk baits and light shaky head use. between the 2 I lost about 60 yards of line in the last outing due to it blowing off my spool. With as much as it costs I decided to take some advice from Gerald swindle. He said if this is a problem then use braided line in 15 to 30 lbs test and then just tie on a 5 to 10 foot leader. So i went ahead and took the nano fill off (used 2 empty line spools) and saved it for my leaders then spooled 20lbs Power Pro braid on both. I have not had any problems what so ever and when I do get hooked up and break off I only loose a foot or 2 of line. Fluorocarbon is entirely to expensive to constantly loose 10 yards a shot.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Okay folks. I haven't been ignoring the responses.

This is what I came up with after reading some of the suggestions.

I bought 20lb Sufix 832 Braid (6lb mono equiv.) and spooled over top of about 40 yards of what I had on there originally. Ended up using 75 yards on each of my setups (the Sufix sold in 150yard spools).
I then put on a SPRO compact swivel with about a foot of 12lb Seaguar Fluro. Small leader I know but it helps with my casting for this setup. I have one setup with an EWG hook and one with a wacky hook. I expect this to solve some of my problems. I do fear getting wind knots in my braid but I hope that the problem will be less severe.

By the way, this is my first time trying a "premium" braid, but so far I like it. I'm more of a Power Pro guy, but what got me into this line was that its actually made of the same material as the Nanofil, just braided with Gore. We'll see how this setup works. If it doesn't I'm back to square one. Maybe I'll try a 10lb braid next but i really hope there isn't a next time.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Switch to a 10 to 20 lb test braid. I personally use the suffix 832 even though it is on the more expensive side of braids to me it was well worth the money. The line is super sensitive especially on spinning tackle and plus you can always take a 2-4 ft leader of 8-10 lb flouro and tie it onto the braid for the invisibility towards the bait and even stronger hook sets.

·
Premium Member
13,631 Posts
Thats exactly what I use on my spinning reels.. Suffix 832. I use 15lb and then tie an 8 - 10 foot leader of Sunline FC Super Sniper fluororcarbon to it. My leader is usally 10lb test or less. Currently I have 8lb test Sniper for my leader.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts