Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
highrider26 said:
Breakline????sudden depth change? gradual?
show me the lite!!! what would the definition of a breakline be?
rich
Take a look at "breaks" in the GD forum. Good thread on what a break line is.
Tom
Had to run, in and out today. As I mentioned above read the "breaks" post, thats why I started it, it's easier to have a little heads up. Different regions have different terms for fishing or even names for fish, let alone terminology for things like breaklines.
When I was talking about the first breakline, I met the first significant change in the water depth, For example a large spawning flat may stay the same depth for hundreds of yards staying anywhere from 1 to 4 feet deep across the back third of a bay. However if there is a small creek channel that cuts back into the flat area, that would be the first breakline, even though it may only be 1 foot deeper, it has an edge and different soil with maybe gravel or even a few rocks here and there. As you make your way back out of the bay the banks should begin to change slope rate as the bay is about 1/2 way from the main lake, this is also a breakline and most of the time there will be another cove or creek channel entering the bay at this point of slope change, a breakline and one I like to call a primary secondary point, especially if another larger bay in connected to that transition point and forms a Y intersection. All this bottom contour changes are "breaklines", some very slightly and others fall off abruptly like deep channels or ledges and easy to find. Some breaks are just soil changes like a clay bank changing into a gravel or rocky bank, Those types of breaks almost always have a ravine associated with them and are well defined. With good electronics you can watch the grey or color line change density just before a soil change occurs and this is the best method to find soil changes underwater that you can't see above the water line. So sometimes you are looking for an abrupt depth change and sometimes just any change that might hold bass.
Tom

·
Registered
14 Posts
Anyone know when post spawn season is here in Kentucky?

I'm a noob y'all. I've been fishing maybe a half dozen times at this point, just started last month, but I've lost plenty of hooks, swivels, weights and bobbers all ready. I'm heading to the shop tomorrow to get a batch of new hooks, swivels and a spool of back up line...maybe some artificial bait. All good advice is very welcome. :)

21 - 24 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.