Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I went to a pond after work to see if I could coax a bass or two into biting. This pond I went to is right behind a Publix grocery store in a shopping strip area. When I got there a truck was being loaded at their dock and they where banging and such. I brought a bag of Wave Worms and 2 rods with me. One rod had my homemade Gold MUllet lure on and the other a 5/0 wide gap hook for the Wave Worm.

I tried the Mullet first with no takers. Then I started fishing the black and blue fleck Wave Worm and a friend calls me so I have my phone pinned against my left ear and shoulder while I am holding my rod. Suddenly my line tightens and I simply lean backwards real fast since I was out of position to set the hook. But it is enough and a very nice fat bass jumps and I tell my friend oh wow I got a nice one and I set the phone down and reel in a bass about 5lbs. This fish looked ripe for spawning and I quickly let her go so as not to make too much commotion what with the Publiz employees in the background and all. ;D Don't want to draw undo attention to new honey holes and all

It was fun catching that fish. No pictures as I didn't bring my camera. Shame on me haha. I will next time as I honestly did not know this pond had nice fish in it. I saw several bedshere and there as the parking lot is well lit up. I had a nice bass follow my mullet lure later on.

I left as it started getting cold and sprinkled rain a little. Cold for us Florida boys is 50 lol.

·
Premium Member
13,631 Posts
Thats great Keith! So tell me more about your golden mullet? Sounds interesting. :)

I know what you mean about not wanting the public in yuor honey holes. I have a pond in my front yard... about a 5 acre one. There are some hawgs in it! I am very protective about it! The owner gave me exclusive permission to fish it and requested that I chase everyone else out. I do just that too! "Stay outta my basshole ***hole!" lol

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's funny Jared. I wish I had a pond in my front yard. I doubt I would get much work done since I work from home anyway haha. Heck I hardly get much done as it is with sites like this distracting me ;D

Remember that post I made a while back where I caught a 6.2lber on my homemade gold dove mullet? I have caught 10 bass on this lure so far. I am quite proud of this beast. Only the foil job kinda stinks. But other then that this thing actually catches fish.

Here is a picture of it:

I have made another perch crankbait that I am proud of yet have not caught a fish on it yet. I carved both of these lures from balsa wood and painted them.

Here is my large perch crankbait:

·
Premium Member
13,631 Posts
hey those are pretty cool Keith! I especially like your perch paint job!

There is nothing like the thrill of catchin fish on a lure you crafted yourself, that's for sure! :)

What are you using to keep the hooks in the balsa? Is it a wire form or are you using screws?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
These are just long screw in eyes that I add epoxy to the threading when I screw them in for extra support. Seems to work pretty well.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Congrats on your 5lber! I want to see a biggun in pictures next time! Can you add a scratch and sniff to it because I think I forgot what they are! :rofl2:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts