Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner

Which type of bait do you prefer to throw?

• Spinnerbait

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Worm (Plastics in General)

• Crankbait

• Jerkbait (soft or hard)

• Spoon

• Topwater

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that most often we fish what the bass want on a particular day, however, I'm guessing everyone has a favorite type of bait they like to throw. What is yours?

K

·
0 Posts
Jared, that was a tough one for me. Buzzbait for example is the same to me as topwater. Also, worm is pretty vauge. Does this cover all soft plastics? Flukes? I consider that different then a worm. While a Senko can meld into the worm category a fluke doesn't. I suppose this can meld into the jerkbait category if it had to.

I selected crankbait as right now that is what is working best for me. Lipless crankbaits to be exact. It is a fatigueing tactic and I would prefer a slower approach but this ripping traps in flats is working better then anything else so I am suffering through it. I can tell I am getting older as I am getting fishermen shoulder and elbow and wrists from this. After an hour of this style fishing I am hurting haha. Bring on the flipping bite haha.

·
Registered
419 Posts
The last couple of years, I have been a spinnerbait fan. Slow, fast, deep, shallow, jigged, or buzzed. They have been very productive.

·
Premium Member
13,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
KeithsCatch said:
Jared, that was a tough one for me. Buzzbait for example is the same to me as topwater. Also, worm is pretty vauge. Does this cover all soft plastics? Flukes? I consider that different then a worm. While a Senko can meld into the worm category a fluke doesn't. I suppose this can meld into the jerkbait category if it had to.
You think it was tough for you??? I was dieing over here trying to keep the choices narrowed down so I didnt have a poll with a page of choices LOL Im still not happy with what I ended up with lol

and yeah I woudl group the fluke with jerkbaits... albeit a soft one.

·
Premium Member
13,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There, I made a slight edit to the poll choices ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Honestly the last year my favorite bait to throw has been a bladed jig type, like Gotsafish's Vibrasock swimblade or the original chatterbait before they got cheaply made.

Dug
Modified

I vote for the jerk bait since that is how I like work the bladed jigs

Dug

·
Registered
419 Posts
Drew, I know just what you mean. That's a heck of a question and when I answered, I was bouncing back and forth like a rubber ball! I like this one, noo, this one, well maybe it's this one. It's hard picking only one. That's why I have so much darn tackle. :mix:

·
Premium Member
3,987 Posts
Before I launch my boat each trip there are at least 4 rods pre rigged out on the deck for the day and after metering the marina, I will make additions or go with my basic 4.
1. Jig rod and jig, trailer color to be determined.
2. Swim bait rod and Huddleston #12 or similar
3. Spinner bait rod and spinner bait.
4. Worm rod and Texas rigged with 3/0 worm hook, worm to be determined.
In the rod locker there is always a crank bait rod, another jig rod, Dropshot and Slip shot spinning rods rigged and few spares.
My go to lure is a jig.
Tom

·
Premium Member
13,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Versatility should definitely be every bass anglers goal. However I was just curious what everyone's favorite was.
Yes, when we go out we always have a few rods rigged up. I keep no less than 6 rigged and ready to go, and when I get a full sized fibreglass boat that number will atleast double.

but... if the fish were biting every bait you tossed, what type of bait would you find most enjoyable to fish. thats what the poll is asking.

me... I chose a jerkbait (soft) because I really get into working it and seeing how closely i can immitate real life, not only that but the hits are awesome, especially when they are near the surface and you see a big gal swim slowly and suck your bait in. At times it looks as if to be in slow motion. That is one awesome site! :) If I could fish a fluke all day long, all season long, I would... as a matter of fact I just about did that all last season... I was productive... but it really handicapped me because I got stuck in a rut... but still I had fun.. and thats what its all about right? lol

·
Premium Member
3,987 Posts
Top water, walk the dog type, lures are fun and the explosive strikes would make it my first choice, if the bite was on.
Tom

·
Premium Member
13,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
GotstaFish said:
Well I guess I'll say topwater since I didn't see swimblade :rofl1: Topwater Frogs are my favorite :D
crud! I totally forgot about Jigs! :-[ lol

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
This was a tough choice for me as it depends if I am out just fun fishing, fishing a tournament, or guiding.
I went with jerkbait (mainly soft) as I do more guiding then anything when it comes to fishing. I feel its easier up here to have the sports throw a jerkbait and get bit then trying to teach them the other methods, due to most of the clients are inexperienced anglers.
John

·
Premium Member
4,943 Posts
I love topwaters, there arn't many days I don't start with them. I like running buzzbaits over weeds even at high noon on a sunny day just because know 1 else does, at least not around here. Other wise I will expeiment to find what the fish want.
Rodney

1 - 20 of 22 Posts