Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner

61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,987 Posts
microtek60 said:
This is imitation hair though not the real thing. The real stuff is 10 times that price for the same size.
If interested real polar bear hair can be purchased from Bob Marriotts for example, http;//www.bobmariotts.net/ specail order item, about 3X price. Why anyone would want real polar bear hair for a bass jig is the question, when there are better choices.
Tom

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
For anyone that is interested I got the Polar bear hair in today and will start taking orders for anyone that wants one. Thanks Daniel

G

·
Can you take some pictures of the hair so we can all see what it looks like?? Thanks

I have fished with a jig made of rabbit hair and man that stuff floats all over the place under water.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I've heard of rabbit hair. I haven't really thrown many hair jigs, but they are supposed to be really good for smallies and spots. Old school, what's the problem with polar bear hair? I'm gonna buy a couple, wouldn't be the first time I threw money away on fishin'. Anybody know what kind of hair Punisher Lures uses? I really like their jigs, they have produced a few fish for me. I'm gonna give Mikrotek a chance, though. Hair jigs are so rarely used anymore that at the very least I will be throwing something the fish don't see much. IMO the polar bear hair will imitate a shad very well undyed. However, you know I value your opinion, old school. Any body else have an opinion about hair jigs in general? I don't think this post is long enough yet. ;D Just no more :argue: :flip: ,please.

·
Premium Member
3,224 Posts
Seems there was a fad over polar bear hair jigs long ago. I've had it and felt it was just too invisible under water. I'd mix it with other materials & colors.

Deer hair jigs were probably the first and remain as probably the best and longest surviving source for jigs. I have an old Army manual somewhere around here that describes the contents of a survival kit in the year 1917, listing a few white deer hair jigs, found by researchers as the most effective lure of all time. They would catch multiple species all over the world. Nothing has changed about those. The white jig remained in survival kits through WWII and Korea. I don't think they bother with the kits now. All the other animal hairs in use are just variations on a good idea that's produced the most fish for anglers.

Jim

·
Premium Member
3,987 Posts
let me add my $.02 worth of advice! Buck tail deer hair makes the best hair jigs for bass. Tricolors are the key to giving big bass a profile they are looking for.The two best combinations over a 30 year period for me has been: #1 medium brown belly, purple mid section and black top, #2 light brown belly, olive green mid section and dark brown top. Add 4 strands of red crystal flash for off color or deep water. Trailers are brown, purple or black pork.
I do not believe anyone has caught more giant bass over 16lbs.,on hair jigs, than I have.
Tom

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
All very good color selections which I can make in the deer hair for $2.50 per jig if that better fits your budget. I also like the orange/brown looks just like a crawfish.

·
Premium Member
3,987 Posts
microtek60 said:
All very good color selections which I can make in the deer hair for $2.50 per jig if that better fits your budget. I also like the orange/brown looks just like a crawfish.
I have no idea why giant bass eat the colors I posted, as they really don't look like any crawdads anywhere! What I do believe in is using what works and think that big bass react to the color contrast, profile and movement, plus the pork trailer is very natural in taste and feel. I use SuperPork trailers because they float very well and rise off the bottom when the jig stops. Plastic trailers do not move unless they are moving through the water and are OK, just prefer pork trailers with hair jigs.
Tom

·
Registered
635 Posts
I really like the look of that hair in the pics. If it could be molded on a weightless hook, it would make one sweet drop shot bait. :-\ I think. I'm gonna buy a couple just to have them, Mikrotek. If all else fails, I'll take them apart and add what I deem necessary. ;) Thanks to everybody for thier input. Old school, I think the best hair jig I fished was kinda the second one you posted. The belly was more orange, with the olive green on the sides and a little brown on top. I used a green pumpkin small critter craw threaded on the hook most of the time. Ouachita, what would you add to it? I am thinking I will buy those jigs and throw them for suspended fish with a beetle spin attachment, or take the hair off and put it on a road runner style jighead for the same type of rig.

·
Registered
218 Posts
we lizard to get back on subject i also make my own hair jigs for walleye fishing and have caught nice smallies on them i am working some jigs for bass , I'm told black bear hair works well too so soon I'm going to make some , i m going out fishing again soon and its the time of year the bass will bite the hair jig

·
Premium Member
1,383 Posts
don't forget about the massacre of '06 when i cut off a lot of my daughters Barbie dolls heads and hair .... now days if my girls see me looking at a Barbie or any doll ,they go and hide it...lol
there are so many dolls hair colors to choice from and you can get them cheap at garage sales... fairy tails dolls are cool cuz they have wild hair colors and sparkles.... don't judge me cuz my dressed hooks look more stylish that u'rs and the highlights realy set um off... lol

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,608 Posts
$8 for a jig is kind of pricey..and does anybody know if largemouthes bite hair jigs at all?

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
Man this was a long read, and I never seen even one jig lol. I would be interested in seeing one of these jigs move in the water.

61 - 76 of 76 Posts