Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will let Tom set the table for this comparison. He sent this to me in an email and wanted this posted so he can demonstrate the difference between the Florida and Northern strain. I will let you guess which is which :grin:

Awesome fish btw.

·
Registered
801 Posts
The Florida is on top??? ;)

·
Premium Member
3,987 Posts
KeithsCatch said:
I will let Tom set the table for this comparison. He sent this to me in an email and wanted this posted so he can demonstrate the difference between the Florida and Northern strain. I will let you guess which is which :grin:

Awesome fish btw.

The bass in the picture are hanging in my garage. The lower bass is a skin mount of a northern strain bass I'm holding in the In-Fisherman article that Jared started to post "A rare chance at a world record", lake Isabella. This bass was caught Jan 1971, 26 1/2L X 24"G at lake Casitas and weighed 12 1/4 lbs the lake record at that time and died from too much handling. The upper bass is the Monster bass posted in General Discussion and was caught at the same lake, feb 1981 ten years later. The giant bass is 28 1/2L X 28"G and weighed 18 lbs.,11 oz and is a fiberglass reproduction. The comparison shows the difference between NLMB and FLMB that lived in the exact same environment. This is one reason why I believe a world record should be established for NLMB they are as different as spotted bass or small mouth bass.
Tom
Ps; both bass were caught on jigs.

·
Registered
419 Posts
No doubt!! I think I recognize the belly!!!!!!!! I saw it this morning while I was puttin' on a shirt. :rofl1: :rofl1: :rofl1:

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
is the dorsal spines any help with the difference, looks like the NLMB has 9 spines while the FLMB has only 8 does this stay consistant with each species?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
highrider26 said:
is the dorsal spines any help with the difference, looks like the NLMB has 9 spines while the FLMB has only 8 does this stay consistant with each species?

Didn't notice that.......Good eye.

Good question too.

·
Premium Member
3,987 Posts
Checked the mounts and the plastic mount Florida's front spine in there, just pushed back against the second spline as one thick spine. Both have 9 spines, however looking further into this both can have 8 to 9 spines, the northern normally having 8 and the Florida 9. The lateral line pore scales seem to be the best method to determine the difference, the Florida has finer scales over 65 and the northern less than 59.
Tom

·
Premium Member
3,987 Posts
JayPea2006 said:
The one on the bottom looks like a giant spotted bass, seriously.
World record spot would have been nice, problem is no spots in Lake Casitas. Spots don't have a gap between the spiny dorsal fin and rounded fin, they are connected. Spots also have have teeth on their tongue. Typical of northern strain bass, big head and no body weight. Good thought and wish it was true.
Tom

1 - 14 of 14 Posts