Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Premium Member
12,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There seems to be quite a few options for pegging weights these days. An angler can buy the plastic weight pegs, he can use bobber stoppers (Like Ike does), he can use toothpicks (only recommended on braided lines) and the list goes on. However, over the last 2 decades I have been using a method to peg weights that I find to be the safest and most economical way, bar none.

I buy myself a bag of rubber bands and use those to peg all my weights, when I want them pegged that is. The bag will last for a long time. As a matter of fact that rubber bands will more than likely begin to dry rot before you ever use them all, but at a buck a bag of 100, which will peg 1000 or so weights, you can't beat it.

Here is an illustration I made a couple years ago, showing how i use the rubber band to peg the weight.

To peg the weight is very simple. After you tie your hook to the line, save the tag end you cut off your line. Run it through the weight, like illustrated above. Then run the piece of rubber band through the loop of line you just created. Grab the tag pieces of line together, wet the rubber band with saliva, then slowly pull the two tag ends of the line, drawing the loop closed and pulling the rubber into the weight with it. Once the rubber is in the weight, pull the line out and snip the rubber flush to the weight.

Not only does this peg your line nicely, but it also creates a cushion that will protect your knot from being bashed by the weight.

What size rubber band to use, you will have to experiment with. I have noticed different brands sizes arent all the same thickness. The rubber bands I use are about 1/32" thick.

The first time you do this, it may take you a couple minutes or so to get it done, but after you do it enough, you will be able to do it in the dark in a few seconds.

Try it out and let me know what you think :D

Tattered Thumbs n Bigguns, Jared

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.