Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok Bassholes we got a good start on the 1st Share-A-Bait lure. I took the XCalibur out Saturday to Ansin Garcia around 1:30pm and fished till about 7:30pm.

This bait not only caught me 8 Bass but it caught me a total of 3 species today :D This bait is a fish catching machine haha.

Here is a run down of how it went.

1st fish of the day on this bait. As you can see I was not photographically ready haha. Stupid zoom was out and I didn't realize it

7th bass nicest of the day for me:

8th and final bass:

[img]

Here are the 5 Pickerel that this lure caught. I had to change how I set up my line Sat. Friday I went out and lost a XCalibur Rayburn Red due to a Pickerel :cussin: so this time I added a Braid leader and super glued the line 2 inches above the knot all the way down to the knot. This forms a nice hard barrier that prevents these toothy critters from cutting the line.

[img]http://img391.imageshack.us/img391/5024/pickerelsnowsq7.jpg

I also caught a Crappie on this lure. I have never done that before on a lipless so this is pretty neat for me.

As you can see the Bass I caught where not very large today. Friday after work I slipped out for a few hours (When I lost the 1st Xcalibur) and I caught much bigger bass including a 4.9lber on a lipless. Not an Xcalibur but a Rattle Trap.

The final tally I caught on our SAB lure: 8 Bass, 5 Pickerel and 1 Crappie. I caught 10 bass total 2 on a gold Xcalibur :) not pictured.

Ok, Drew you are up next buddy. This bait has got lots of fish stink all over it now. In fact, it has a piece of bass flesh still on the hook haha. Darn Pickerels roughed the bait up a bit. But it is still in good condition.

Good luck Ya'll.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here is the bait after the abuse I put it through. For those of you who do not have toothy fish you will not see that much deteriation of the bait from Bass.

Bait right out of the box:

Bait after I used it:

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
discussion

I caught one on the Excaliber around 3 1/2lbs and a big ass crappie. I got no pictures because it wasn't worth ruining the camera over. (the weather sucked) I'm sending the bait on to stepasyd. I am still not a rattle trap guy but they have their place. I am down in general on crank baits. I don't like them.

·
Premium Member
3,224 Posts
I bundled up with 3 layers, 47 degrees Monday morning on Lake Ouachita, Hot Springs, AR. Water calm and heavily stained, visibility to 3'. Lure for the whole day is the Xcalibur XR50 Rayburn Red, NOT one I'd have picked for water temp 59. I started at a large hydrilla flat out in open water, showing plenty of new green, around a long shallow ridge, ripping the edges. No bites. I headed for main lake pockets. No bites. From there I began fishing shallow to deep over usually productive humps in the mouth of a large creek. No bite, though I found plenty of shad balls on sonar and suspended fish, probably stripers. They ignored this little lure, usually hitting 7" crankbaits. I tried the secondary points and creek pockets. No bites. I'm wondering. Everyone I know or talked to is certain the early spawn is definitely history. I worked my way upstream into smaller creeks, fishing the outside edges of flooded brush. I pick up some 1/2-1 pound LMBs.

Shedding first layer, air temp about 65, nice day! Wind beginning to reach 6-8 mph.
I should leave those little fellers alone, but hey, catching SOMETHING is OK for now. Other boaters coming out, fishless. Bad sign.

I cast to a floating log, pick up this one. 74 degrees and sun bearing down at noon, shed the cotton.

I catch another deeper under the log. This isn't a pattern to stick with.

Opened a soda, saw the line move off from the same log, caught this one.

I hear a splash way inside a row of flooded brush up a small feeder creek. I cast between two bushes a couple of times, bass hits upon splash down, 2-3' of water there.

Huh, size getting better. 1.6#

I hear another big splash, turn to see it came from way behind the brush, almost on the shoreline. I manage to skip the lure back there, right on top of the bass. It took several tries to reach it. 2.2# That is NOT a proper pose, holding that fish out like that. Makes it look bigger than real. Eggs were oozing out. WHATAYAKNOW. Spawning! Water temp is 62.

I hang up at least a hundred times, filling the boat with twigs and leaves going in after the one and only Xcalibur in the boat. I'm scratched all over. 6pm the pickerel take over.

There were many more than that, and many more hangups. This was the first time I've ever fished a lipless crank in thick brush, and will be my last time. Nothing about that makes sense, but it worked. Boaters passing, searching for bass. I show them what I'm doing. "That's nuts, Campbell" They went in and fished weedless worms & lizards in the brush, got no bites.

End of fishing with it. I tied on a zara spook and caught 5 nice bass from about 3-4# breaking on shad, no photos, just some fun. The day ends for me.

This was NOT a notable day for me. Ordinarily none of those fish would be photographed. It began chilling down, cold ride back. BTW, that light shirt is one of my smartest buys this year. It's a Pro IV with Teflon coating, from BPS. It's rated SPF50 and doesn't let sunlight through. It's vented and very cool. I highly recommend it for you fair skinned anglers among us, like me.

Jim

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
Well after a few thousand casts i finally got 2 bass today using the red trap.I tried riping it ff the bottom and letting it flutter back down.I tried fast and I tried slow. I think i need to try this bait again in a couple weeks.After working my completly around the resivoir i decided to try another res.had no luck there but did get to talk with a few wildlife officers.They were out doing a survey on perch for the resivoirs with nets.and take a wild guess what the water temp was. 44
:dunno:
so i guess 2 fish wasn't so bad.the next person might want to do some touch up on the :redratltrap: it looks like it has a big white grin from bouncing off all the rocks.and her new name is one eye. yup lost an eye too.
after all the abuse it still works really good.
OK team two the bait is goin south and we can get some bigger numbers.Make sure you get pics of each fish.
rich

Attachments

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
I am ashamed of posting this picture but if you read my previous post I only had the bait for ten to fifteen minutes and was unable to get back out after I finally found one.I know there is no excuse but i did catch one and the bait was first class mailed out on monday to flordia.I also sent the old package so we can keep track of how many we buy.

·
Premium Member
17,927 Posts
What rough and miserable day today was while fishing. That wind was blowing BIG TIME !! It blew so hard it knocked a tree into the water near where I was at. We kept hearing a banging noise and figured someone was banging on something. When the tree fell over about 20 yards from us, we seen it was Mother Nature that was banging lol.

Ok, I did manage 1 ( one ) fish on the red trap. I only got three fish the 5 hours I was there. ( red trap, buzz bait , and a fluke ) My buddy blanked.

Im gonna try to go back Wednesday if the weather is good and give the red trap another workout. If not, I will send it to the next person by Thursday.
( If im looking right, you can see the plug end for my ' Stay n Charge at the front left of my boat..... also, I need to go on a diet, got some chubby cheeks lol ... That mean ole wind made me have a jacket on this morning lol )

·
Premium Member
13,631 Posts
Well I got the bait for Team 1 the end of this week so I took it out today and tried to see what I could do with a red lipless bait here in the south east with bass already in their summer patterns. I found out, I cant do much! LOL

I took my mother out and she went brim fishing while I threw the red lipless crankbait until my arm was numb. We were out there from about 10:30am until around 2:30pm and I managed to get one. She came off of a point that was went from about 2 foot deep to around 12 foot. I tried everything under the sun, burning, ripping, yo-yo-ing, fast, slow, you name it I tried it. I was ready to give up and go to something else too. lol Finally I saw a fish swirl at something so I just chunked it in next to some floating grass, let it fall, and ripped it up and wamo! She had it! lol I thought "hmmm" to myself. so I did the same thing agian... for another hour and a half.. and nothing... I tried everything else again eventually as well.. and nothing.

I did manage to get the bait REALLY hung up one time too. I really thought I was gonna lose it but with some finessing and many angles, I finally got her unhooked.

Looks like up next on the list for team 1 is stepasyd1. stepasyd1 please contact me by thursday or I will have to go to the next person in the list.

by the way.. checkout the head.. bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzt... cut it all off finally LOL

·
Registered
472 Posts
Well went out and used the lipless today for team 2...lets just say it was this baits last outing...Managed one on it before its death...I have before and after pictures also a picture of the fish...BUT...They are on my phone not my digital camera(put new batteries in it last night and got to the lake and had nothing)...just a bad luck day...By the way i killed the bait when it was introduced to the trooling motor and shattered, I now know what the inside of an excaliber lipless crankbait looks like...lol, I have pictures but my phone is not cooperating today,

So my phone finnally worked with me today and i got the pictures

Before i started throwin

The lone fish i got before the lure met its fate...I know there is a fish there it is about a pound that came from under that picnic table behind me

the bait after meeting my trolling motor, just broke the face off of it, still hass the tie ring and hooks

Dave

PS. David Light (davidva) Pm me your address and i will get the new bait to you this week)

·
Registered
409 Posts
Well I have good news for Team 2! I caught 3 bass today using the red xcalibur! Unfortunately, they are REAL small! I had a blast fishing with my dad today and boy was this private water awesome. They had one real big lake and about 7 or so ponds. I caught the largest fish on a mini-king spinner bait. So it was David 4 and Dad 0, but he had a couple good ones that got away. Hope everyone had a chance to do a little fishing this weekend!

David :thumbup01:

Who is next for Team 2? Please PM me your name and address

Attachments

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Went out today weather was good water temp. 84. It was very cloudy first thing this morning so i was thinking the ole rayburn red was gonna shine, but at about 8:30 the clouds dissapeared but still managed to get three on it 2 bass and one tillapia, which i have never heard of a tillapia being caught on a lipless crank but one was caught today. Theres only one pic of the bass the second pic didn't come out, its hell using a cell phone for pics! Theres a couple of before pics though. All the rest today came on the spro wild shiner both the 75 and 60. The fish were all holding around rocks in 7-9 feet of water. Got a monster gar on the Aruka shad 75 which was fun but he ripped the eye out of a brand new bait :cussin:. But all in all a good day, just wish i would've gotten the bait when red was hot around here. But on to the next Basshole!! :cheers:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Hello all!! Finally making my post for my experience with the lure. I know this is pretty sad considering I had the bait at the end of April but tech support finally made its rounds to me.
Here we go. Temp was about 85 degrees, blue bird skies, and little wind. The first pic is of my first fish of the day. I hit this fish on the nose with the lure and when he tried to let out a startled yelp, he accidentally sucked the lure in and was caught. :rofl1: Fish # 2 was a moment to remember. The fis was sitting in about 18" of water next to a fence post. He looked like he was going to sleep or something because when he yawned, I made a tremendous cast with KVD like accuracy, and the lure went straight to the back of his mouth. :rofl1: :rofl1:
Sorry again about how long it took me to make this post.
-Joe

P.S. I know there is a lot of blood in the second pic. It is mostly mine with a little of his. After the hook up, while trying to lip him, he snagged my palm when he shook his head. The second shake tore it free from my hand which bled for the rest of the day. :cussin:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
By the way, my camera is stuck on 9:10 a.m. It has been that way for a year now. :rofl1: :rofl1:

·
Registered
641 Posts
I went out to the St. Johns River near Lake Harney (Geneva, FL) on Thursday after work for about three hours fishing in between the thunder storms. We hit some spots my buddy had found a week prior and he had caught some decent fish. We couldn't catch anything fishing some current breaks, the edge of pad fields, and points where they often school-up. I threw that crank bait until my arm hurt and only had one bite in the current, it was a big fish for sure, it just stopped it dead and took off under the boat up the river stripping off about 40 yards of line and I couldn't even slow it down thumbing the spool with my drag fairly tight and 15 lb. P-line flouroclear, while trying not to horse it. I never did get it turned and it finally pulled off after about a minute and a half. I have no idea what it was for sure, it really didn't act like a catfish or mudfish rolling or shaking it's head, but it never came up to the top either, all I know for sure was my rod was doubled over and it pulled into that current like a big dog.
Sorry team 2, I thought I had "The big one".
I did manage to catch three bass 13 to 15 inches and missed three others in the lily pads where we saw them busting back in the pads, swimmin a swimming senko (purple w/black flake) thru with a 1/8 oz screw-in weight. We also went up river and cranked around some docks too. I will get the bait in the mail today back to our captain.

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
Team 2's share a bait journey has ended for this round. The bait went from Ohio to North Carolina to Maryland to Ohio (again) to Virginia to Florida and is now home in Ohio. Here is a pic of how it was returned.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts