Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When yall go fishing what do yall search for in bass fishing, numbers or size?

I have to say it would be numbers. The main reason I say this is because it will help me get more cofidence in the lure that I need help with. For example, I'm am struggling with crank baits. I'm no where close to being satisified with my approach to spinner baits either. On the other hand, I consider myself an expert with jigs and plastic baits. That is why I go after numbers and not size. I believe sooner or later size will overcome numbers but as for now its numbers hands down.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It depends, if I am fun fishing then I could care less. If I am in a tournament, then I am looking for numbers until I get #5 in the boat, and then I will go for size. If any of the bass that I catch in the first 5 have size, then it's an added bonus.

When I am looking for #'s of fish, I will fish high percentage lures, such as a drop-shot rig or a Pop-R. Yes, believe it or not, I consider a Pop-R a lure that will catch a lot of fish and in a hurry. Once I get the #'s of fish, I will switch to my jig and I will go after the bigger bass.

There will be times where you will find the one lure that will get you the #'s and size of bass that you will need. When you have that setup, then you are all set.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I always go for size. I refuse to sight fish but have caught 16 bass over 9 lbs with my personal best of 14-2. For me, a six plus pound bass is funner to talk about later in the day than catching numbers.
-Joe

·
Registered
24 Posts
;D If fishing a tourney I go for 5 keepers first then I go for size.

When out for fun I really don't have a preference. Size is great and numbers are fun, but being out fishing is what is important to me wheather I catch anything or not.

I have caught my biggest LMB while food fishing for trout in SoCal. 12lb 9oz monster on 6# line, and have caught my largest SMB while fishing a tourney in B.C. Canada a 6lb 5oz beauty.

I remember back to times when I could not fish due to service comments and now I am thankful to got out when ever I can. :fishing01: :usa: :usa: :usa:

·
Registered
242 Posts
i like numbers. One big bass is nice, but to me three smaller are more fun and impresses the wife and buddies more.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Mostly numbers for me. Fishing all day, and not catching fish just doesn't do it for me. I gotta have some action in the day, and the more the better. That's a big reason I can never lay my smallie rod down and musky fish when I'm on my trips up north. Size is nice, but it all starts with getting the first fish in the boat.

·
Premium Member
3,987 Posts
Let me ponder this for a micro second; 1 1/2 lb bass or 10 1/2 lb bass? Go for size or you may never learn how to catch a big bass.
Tom

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
oldschool said:
Let me ponder this for a micro second; 1 1/2 lb bass or 10 1/2 lb bass? Go for size or you may never learn how to catch a big bass.
Tom

How right you are Tom. Once I realized that it was okay to be more than 2 cast lengths from the bank the bigger fish I caught. I'll take 1 5lber over 5 1lbers anyday.

·
Registered
111 Posts
It honestly does not matter to me..... Numbers, size or none!.... It's the enjoyment of being on the water..... However, I do enjoy "catching" more than I do "fishing"...... LOL

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I'd have to go with,BOTH.
It used to be, while out with friends,I never caught the most,but I usually got the biggest.But now,I can keep up with them on numbers,so I go for the most and the biggest.A little greedy I guess,maybe from all those years of getting my butt kicked on the numbers side of it.

·
Premium Member
6,888 Posts
I'm not greedy, either would be fine with me, just as long as the :skunked: stays away ;)

·
Registered
13,775 Posts
Well, you can't always catch "big ones"...So by pure default, numbers gets the nod...
But then again, on the days that you do get a big one, or multiple big ones, suddenly numbers don't matter as much....LOL...Obviuolsy numbers of big ones is what we allwould love!!

I went fishing on Sunday and had a terrible day of fishing as far as numbers go. But, I came off the water with 1 bragging size Bass that made my day. Would I have been happier that day with 10 smaller fish? Probably not, from a bragging rights standpoint...from a raw enjoyment of fishing, probably so.. Make sense?

My comments refer to fishing in general here...not tournaments...tournament fishing is a totally different animal and mindset.

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
My two cents worth.... Lots (numbers) of BIG (size) fish!!! :D

·
Registered
524 Posts
when fishing on the ohio river you are deffenately not going for size and numbers are hard to come by as well. When in a tournament I just hope for a keeper

·
Registered
536 Posts
It all depends on the day and what I'm feeling like. Some days numbers is more exciting. Reeling in thirty small bass can be lots of fun, but then many days of just reeling in small bass calls for a change of play and then I will focus on big bass. Use some big lures and or slow down and fish less small bass hangouts. For the most part I'm usually for numbers. I don't fish for money so I don't have the need as much for the big fish. But trying to wit a clever old bass is rewarding. But those peeps that fish a cali lake and getting a bite in a full day of fishing... I don't know if I could do that.. unless I can fish every day then I probably would try that.
But I agree catching lots of fish can help build confidence with baits.

·
Premium Member
822 Posts
To be honest, It really don't matter to me. I know if I only catch one, Big or small, I know that I had fun doing what I loved. No matter, How many you catch or how big it is, There's always that one monster bass out there, That one day you hope to catch, And thats is what keeps me fishing.

There's days that we'll fish and catch 10-20 bass, Mostly in the two-three pound range and we be so tickled for days and tell everyone about it.
Then you have those days where you'll catch one, But at the end of it all, You're happy that you went out and fished!

If that make's sense! :thumbup01:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts