Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Actually the day started out at the once famed Stick Marsh/Farm 13. After casting and casting till my arms nearly fell off I managed to get 1 decent bass to bite a gold XCalibur. It weighed 2-2.5lbs or so. I left this has been lake at roughly 2pm. For those of you who do not know this lake is connected to Ansin Garcia. So I loaded the boat and headed over to Garcia to salvage the day.

Started fishing roughly at 3pm and caught a fish on a wooden lipless crankbait. I won this bait on ebay and it looks and swims sweet. No rattles but it is different and fooled one fish so far. I switched back to the gold XCalibur and caught another fish. Then A little later I cast into sparse grass and thought I was hung in the grass so I actually did my rip jerk assuming I would be ripping my bait free from the "grass" Well the grass turned out to be a very nice fish. Check her out:

Guess how much she weighed?

I guess this makes up for the big ones I lost a few weeks ago at night ;) Because I didn't even think I had this fish on and didn't set the hook right away then she ran under the boat and jumped behind me.

Here is the scary part though. She got a hook stuck in one of her gills and was bleeding pretty bad at first :sad2: So I put her in my livewell and after a few minutes I checked on her again and the water was reddish colored and had bubbles all in it. I removed her from that livewell and placed her in my next livewell with clean water. I left her in there for a while as I got my camera together and such. After I weighed her and took pictures and measured her always dipping her in the water on the side of the boat every minute so as not to sufficate her.

Well, when I released her I held her under water for a good minute or so and watched her slowly swim away she went right into the grass. I sure hope to God she was ok. When I got up I realized I was being watched by a 7' Alligator which was on the left side of my boat underwater hiding in the grass. I was holding this fish on the right side of the boat for a while reviving her which basically means I was holding a sandwich under water for this fairly large Gator :wack:. Thank God nothing happened.

Here is the gator right next to me.

This was not more then a few feet away from me at this point. Yikes. I hope the gator didn't eat my bass when I released it? (I would have inserted the praying smiley but I guess Jared removed it as I don't see it anymore) There is plenty of grass for the bass to hide in there though .

Anyway, I caught 8 bass at Garcia all on lipless. The Aruku shad caught me 5. I lost several also. So I had a good day. It was a pretty windy day as usual today. Nice all week then nice and windy on the weekend. haha.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She didn't weigh that much. But this is the best I have caught this young year so far. She was 23 1/2 inches long. She weighed only 6.3lbs although to me she looked alot bigger especially seeing her jump a few times. These fish fool me in Garcia. I have had 5lbers that I thought where good 6-7lbers. This one I thought would go 8 or more but according to my scale only 6.3lbs. That is still a good fish as far as I am concerned. If she had eggs in her she would have been over 7lbs.

Sure was fun though.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice fish. Glad someone was able to go.

Good thing you didn't turn into **********. :rofl1:

·
Registered
801 Posts
Thanks for sharing! That is a SUPER keeper! Wow!

·
Banned
539 Posts
Very nice fish, no way the gator would have messed with you (thehat) as you look like a brother.

Try checking out your scale using the old length and girth measurments.

Whats this about stick Marsh being a has been - I believe the fish see so much shinner fisherman that artifical are not as appealing

Got to get over to Garcia and give it a shot

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Awesome fish and report!!! Felt like I watched you catch it. I do think I would have had to change my pants after I saw the gator though. I see them often enough where I fish, but usually I'm not holding lunch in my hand under the water!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts