Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been making my hair jigs for about a year now and have had a little bit of sales nothing to retire on but I didnt do it to get rich it was mainly for fun. I am slowly getting in more head styles and have recently added a football and a shakee head. My boss has recently gotten into fishing and pulled me aside and asked what I thought about starting a business with him making my jigs, spinnerbaits and different sinkers and what ever else that we can afford. Here is the best part he is going to back it 100%. Now I have to do most of the work but I allready was doing that.

So here is my question to all of you. I have my thoughts but wanted yours as well.
1. What are you favorite spinnerbait setups? you know what kind of blades.

2. What are you favorite style jigs?

3. What is your favorite color on your spinnerbaits.

So far I have been busy pouring my spinnerbait heads and painting them. I am using the baitfish style head on a mustad or eagle claw 3/0 and 4/0 hook. I make them in 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 oz. sizes.
The heads are painted Chartruese with a orange belly, gold with a black top and red belly and silver with black scale.

I airbrush all the heads and epoxy top coat.

I dont know about anyone else but paying $5-$10 for a spinnerbait is just too much. I will be selling all my spinnerbaits for $3.75. All of them have atleast 60 strands in the skirts and they can be silocone or living rubber.

·
Registered
696 Posts
i like the silver willow leaf blades, fav colors are chartuese, white and yellow. various sizes

·
Banned
539 Posts
Micro, Not a lot of responses to your post, but my personal advise to you would be as follows.....

I believe you have to build what you are comfortable with, then fish it, improve it, document it to be a fish catcher and then you can have confidence in its marketing.

As far as a anglers favorite colors and styles, I believe for the most part that is personal preference. It has been said many times, lures variations are built to catch people.

While I would agree certain conditions will determine size, weight or color you would be better served to control the color with skirt designs and weight with the head designs.

I would stay with just a couple of head colors and designs. Keep it simple at first, grow your name and then look for further variations.

Too much variety will tax your time and take you away from family and fishing. Have fun, be particular about what you produce and success will be measured not in volume but repeat customers, they will become your best advertisement and then the volume will come. The challenge then is to stay with the quality that built your reputation. Have fun and heres hoping you success.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Micro, Congrats! that is a great opportunity and Tampa Country Boy makes some good points! Good Luck!! wish you much success and make sure you continue to enjoy what your doing!! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts