Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some advice on how to repaint a kayak. My platoon Sgt just gave me a kayak that he's had for about four years and only used a few times. It's a nice ride, but I want to get it painted. I want to use white for the base, but something that will cover the black designs on it. I was thinking about using Kilz. I want to use white for the base, then I plan on painting some phantom flames on it with my airbrush. The airbrushing I'm good at, but twhat type of paint to use for the base white is confusing me, lol.

Also, I was wondering what I could use to coat the paint job to give her a good glossy finish and protect the paint. I was considering using some kind of fiberglass resin to coat the paint job, but I want to be sure that it will be ok...not trying to add too much weight though. Any ideas on how I can go about this project? I welcom ALL ideas and suggestions! Thank you for your time.

Mike

·
Premium Member
3,062 Posts
Yeah haven't done it either. I would think it would take some type of plastic paint made for it.Maybe a urethane paint ? idk but that's a flexible paint.

·
Registered
3,400 Posts
Well, first you start off with a nose piercing, a really radical Sammy Hagar hairdoo, a couple beers, some ugly bright green Crocs and don't skimp on the amount of Spray Paint. The best way to shake up the cans is to practice juggling for a bit. Heck, You might as well do your paddle while you at it ! Just don't inhale too much of the paint like this dude !

·
Registered
3,400 Posts
On a more serious note...

I didn't think you mentioned what you kayak is contructed with. I am assuming it is Polyethelyne.
Be careful with paints like Rustoleum or possibly Kilz.
There's a reason they make a specific paint for plastic... there are some nasty chemicals in paint, and especially so in Rustoleum paint that's intended for metals (anti-corrosion chemicals).

Your plastic kayak is made with some petroleum based products, the anti-corrosive stuff in Rustoleum paint will (over time) react with the plastic in the kayak. The paint can seriously affect the plastic - making it brittle and possibly warping it. (Not to mention potential for toxic by-products to leach out into the waterways you paddle or fish on!).

Check out the ingredients... liquefied petroleum gas, acetone, n-Butyl Acetate... All things that evaporate an a very high rate. When they do... there goes your kayak with it! Acetone is used in fingernail polish removers - and is really nasty stuff.

Too many coats won't make it stick better. It will likely have the reverse effect, probably bubbling and peeling up.

Rather than the metal & wood paint, stick with the plastic paint, and the best tip would be to maybe only paint the top deck (where you can see it) when you're paddling. Keep the part of the boat that is in the water free of paint. To paint the hull would only add resistance, making you work harder with each stroke, and the bottom of the boat will eventually become scraped anyway.
Plastic paint is not going to be easy to find that will stand up to the torture of sun, wind water, and bumps with the paddle and other equipment and the way you lash it down in transport.

·
Registered
3,400 Posts
Check out your local Marine store for the paint.
Things You’ll Need:
Polyurethane marine paint
Screwdriver
Small plastic bag
Bucket
Dishwashing detergent
Water
Several cloths
50-grit sandpaper
100-grit sandpaper
Acetone
Rubber gloves
Painter's tape
2- to 3-inch feather-tip paintbrush
Marine wax

Step 1
Purchase a marine polyurethane paint at your local marine store. This type of paint will adhere to the surface of the kayak better than normal paint.
Step 2
Use soapy water to wash the section of the kayak that you will be painting. This will remove any contaminants or dirt on the outer surface and will help the paint stick. Allow the kayak to dry.
Step 3
Remove any hardware from the kayak, in the area you will be painting, including screws, fittings or other parts. Place them in a plastic bag so they do not get lost.
Step 4
Sand uneven surface areas of the kayak with 50-grit sandpaper, to smooth them out. Use 100-grit sandpaper and sand the entire surface to be painted. This will roughen up the area, allowing the paint to stick better. Dust the kayak off with a dry cloth.
Step 5
Dampen a cloth with acetone. Wipe the entire surface of the kayak off to remove any remaining oils or residues. Be sure to wear rubber gloves when you use the acetone, so not to irritate your skin.
Step 6
Tape off the area of the kayak this is not to be painted. Do this only if you will not be painting the entire boat. Use painter's tape and place it between the two areas to divide them.
Step 7
Shake the polyurethane paint well before using. Using a 2- to 3-inch paintbrush with a feather tip, apply the paint evenly to the surface of the kayak.
Step 8
Remove the painter's tape and wipe away paint that has seeped into unwanted areas. Allow the paint to dry for at least 24 hours.
Step 9
Repaint the entire surface with a second coat of paint and allow to dry completely.
Step 10
Reinstall all the hardware.
Step 11
Wash the kayak again with soapy water and allow it to dry. Apply a marine wax to the outer surface of the kayak and buff. This will help protect the new paint job. The kayak is now ready for use.

http://www.trails.com/how_12562_paint-a-kayak.html

Dan

·
Registered
3,400 Posts
Yep Mark,
Beer and Green Crocs is the way to go !!! :rofl1:

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Stealth. I read your post before in another thread, lol. I did some digging and was still confused about what type of paint to use. I think I have it figured out. The only thing left for me to do at this point, is to figure out what to use to protect the paint job...something to protect it from minor dings and scratches.

My goal is to paint her all white...then some purple true-fire (phantom) flames on the sides with my airbrush. I'm quite good at it, lol. Nothing really too wrong with the way she looks now, but I want to "make her my own" in a sort of way. Thanks for all you help folks!!

Mike

·
Premium Member
6,888 Posts
Mike I'd try Krylon!! it bonds to things like that quite well! :thumbup01: :thumbup01:

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
retired-psg said:
Mike I'd try Krylon!! it bonds to things like that quite well! :thumbup01: :thumbup01:
Thanks friend. I'm considering it.

I tried looking at Kayak Bass Fishing....that site is poorly put together in my opinion. You would think that the name says it all, but it's hard to even find a topic on Bass fishing! The majority of posts and threads have to do with every other species of fish rather than bass. Some of the links don't even open up, and if they do, it takes you to a blank page with nothing more than the title of the thread. Not easy to navigate through the site either.

·
Registered
788 Posts
If you want to go with a rattle can spray paint id go with krylon... they have a type of paint for plastic but IDK if it would work on the type of plastic kayaks are made out of...

I know a guy who did a camo paint job on a canoe with krylon and it turned out pretty good....

Just know no matter what kind of paint you use the bottom will get scratched off from dragging over rocks and stuff

·
Registered
422 Posts
my ,02

fill the yak up with a 30% bleach solution. let it soak 45 to a hour. this will klil an elimanate or algae or mold inside the yak. drain it

then simply scrub the outside with Comet.

use the kayak as is. in all honesty painting plastic is a waste espacially a kayak. it'll flake or scatch no mattter what you do.

Fish are not borthered by the color of any boat/kayak.

save your money for equipment, women, an beer.

my .02

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
austins35 said:
my ,02

fill the yak up with a 30% bleach solution. let it soak 45 to a hour. this will klil an elimanate or algae or mold inside the yak. drain it

then simply scrub the outside with Comet.

use the kayak as is. in all honesty painting plastic is a waste espacially a kayak. it'll flake or scatch no mattter what you do.

Fish are not borthered by the color of any boat/kayak.

save your money for equipment, women, an beer.

Still gonna paint it friend, lol. I'm not worried about the bottom at all, just the sides and top. Like I said, I want to "make her my own".

my .02

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.