Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As most of you guys know i got hurt pretty bad almost a year and a half ago, i want to share the whole story with you all, you guys are like my extended family and hopefully one of you guys or anyone for that matter can get something out of it. Me and Keith had talked about me sharing my story and StaynCharge's recent post "prayers needed" really got me thinking "what better time" so here goes: When i was on ship heading home from Iraq i decided that i wanted to ask Kylie to marry me. I got the ball rolling by asking her parents they said they'd be honered to have me as a son in law(just thought id put that in there :D) so her folks and mine devised a plan. Since we were getting back right before Christmas i would ask her right before. My parents were already going out there to spend Christmas with her family she was none the wiser. Me and my parents snuck out to New Orleans a day before we were supposed to get there i got in my dress blues got down on one knee in front of a crowded steakhouse and proposed! We had an amazing Christmas with her family, then my folks flew back here to Fl. on the 28th. Kylie and i decided to go down to the bar where we had met 2 years prior except we were now engaged! We rang in the new year in the bar where we met, and decided to catch a cab around 2:45 in the morning. We walked a couple blocks off of Bourbon Street and found a couple sitting on a chain that was blocking off a parking lot, and they asked us to sit with them while we all waited on a cab. So they slide over and we sit down. About five minutes later the chain drops to the ground and all of us fell down. Kylie and the couple fell straight down, i however fell backwards, i landed on my butt and i remember thinking :cussin: i hurt my hand, and hearing Kylie laugh, and in that split second rationality i said why did the chain drop???? When i looked to my right i saw the 1200( yep twelve hundred) pound light pole that the chain was fastened to coming right for my head. All i could do was tuck my head to the left, cringe and ask God to forgive me. The pole made contact with my head, slid down my face and shattered my jaw, then if that wasn't bad enough it drove me onto a jagged piece of concrete. I guess thats when Kylie realized what happened and she went to superwoman mode. She gave me CPR while the pole was still on top of me plus coordinated 6 men to lift the pole enough so she could slide me out. It wasn't looking good i guess, i had bled out three times, had two strokes, my heart stopped twice, plus my right shoulder blade was broken into 14 pieces which would later turn into the Dr.s having to remove my deltoid muscle and a small part of my back muscle. My parents were told your son is brain dead and they needed to get out there to sign the paperwork to take me off life support. At some point i tried to open my eye which required brain activity, so the Dr said if this kids gonna fight we'll give him a fighting chance, thats when they started piecing me back together. After being in a coma for almost a month i started waking up, but they told everyone id never walk never talk, that id be a vegetable for the rest of my life due to the traumatic brain injury. Well nobody asked God his opinion. I was airlifted to James Haley VA in Tampa Fl. to start what little rehab they thought id make. Sometime in late February i took my first steps. Kylie,my Mom and Dad stayed in a hotel across the street from the hospital for 96 days while i was in there. I came to a point where i had to either feel sorry for myself and give up or i could look to God for strength and fight while all the odds were against me. I chose the latter. I'm still fighting this thing but God, my family, and Kylie keep me strong. I wish i could explain to people how to find the strength to keep moving forward when everything is pulling you backwards, but all i can offer is a solid base: God. I'm by no means a "good example" of what a Christian should be, but one thing i do know, there is a God and he is forgiving. I just feel like if i don't share my story then everything Ive went through in the past year and a half was for nothing. If one person can get something outta this whole thing and it helps them, then it was worth it. Like i said before you guys are like family to me, so hopefully something will be gained by someone. Dave

K

·
0 Posts
Dave, brother that was great and I appreciate you sharing this. I am always touched by the hand of God who spares us and performs miracles like this. I pray that your story does touch someone out there and helps them realize that we are not alone here.

I am glad to know you man and I hope to be able to fish with you again sometime.

God bless.

·
Premium Member
13,633 Posts
Dave thank you for sharing your truly inspiring story. I honestly cant find the words to explain what I am thinking or feeling. I have been through hard times but nothing compares to what you just shared.

I know God has been on your side without question but I must also commend Kylie. You described her as going into superwoman mode. Well let me just say, from what i have read, you could not have chosen a more suiting description for her. YOu are definitely blessed by having her in your life as she truly does sound like a superwoman with all the love in the world for you but I am sure I am not telling yu anything you dont already know.

As Ike says, never give up bro! I am glad you are a part of The Bassholes and I am even more glad to call you a friend.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tell you guys what i wouldn't want to be in Kylie's or my families shoes under any circumstances. I don't want to know what went through their heads, when Kylie turned around and saw what had happened, or my Mom when she was told i was brain dead, or my Dad that his only son was gone. I hope i never have to go through the hell they went through. Thanks guys you have helped me a great deal! Dave

·
Premium Member
13,633 Posts
Well always remember this buddy, I am always here for you if you ever need anything. Just give a shout :thumbup01:

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LakeCityYankee said:
Well always remember this buddy, I am always here for you if you ever need anything. Just give a shout :thumbup01:
Thanks bro that means alot to me! Dave

·
Registered
410 Posts
Dave, Wow, thanks for sharing that story! You just don't know how much I needed that right now :dance01: Thank God above that you are here with us and thank Kylie for being there for you. I just thought I was going through a rough time. You ever need anything, you just ask, not that I might be able to give it, but I will give it my all! God Bless you and your family!

·
Premium Member
3,987 Posts
You are truly an inspiration for everyone. Not only did you serve your country unselfishly, you fought back against all odds to survive for your Kyle, parents and future love ones.
If there is anything that I can do to help, just mention it and we will be there for you. You are a amazing young man and so are those around you who never wavered with their support. Talk about being in the wrong place at the wrong time. God bless and good luck to you and yours.
Tom

·
Registered
98 Posts
What an amazing story. Can only be explained as a miracle. God has kept you here for a reason and you need to come to know what that purpose is. Your story certainly puts things in perspective for me. Life is so very important and we all sometimes take it for granted.God bless and good luck in your continued recovery. George

·
Banned
539 Posts
Dave, I count it a privilege to know you even if it is only through written word. Your story will reachout to all who read it. I firmly believe this tribute to the greatest physician has allowed Him to provide motivation for someone else to find strength in their situation through your story. Thank you for sharing this truly amazing chain of events that is very personal for you and your family. You know you have my support and hope we get to meet soon

·
Registered
801 Posts
Dave, You are a very stong person and so is Kylie. Your story is very touching. I thank you for that again. I wish you both the best that this awesome world can bring your way. I hope you know, you both are my heros. Thank you for that. I'm so proud of you for your inspiration.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Absolutely one remarkable story. In todays world, it is so often "Look what I did" and we forget that without Gods help, we accomplish nothing in life. Your faith and determination is an inspiration. Thank you for sharing.

Gary

·
Registered
921 Posts
Dave I will have a hard time telling you how your story makes me feel. I have never been much on the Christian thing in my whole life until the I guess maybe the past year. God was presented to me again in a light i had never seen before. I try to talk to him as well as talk about him to people hoping maybe they will sometimes tell me how they feel and I try to gain a little more knowledge of the things I had never heard before about him. I am dailey trying more and more to bring him into my life.
Your story has made me want to just stop what i am doing and just show him my praises. My wifes freind called last night and the cancer that is in her back is the worst kind and now she will not be going home but will be in the hospital for the next 4 to 5 weeks in bed taking radiation treatments. I guess they may be able to contain it for now but it is the type that could just show up anywere and anytime and they will not be able to stop it. So for me to come here and to see your story is something i would have never thought would happen today but it did and I thank you so very very much for making me stop and atleast try to find some hope and some direction that i can now share with her(JO) and her family about what God has planned. Told you I would not be able to tell you how your story touched me but it has and I thank you and I thank our Lord for you being able to share your life with us. I will pray for you and your family when I talk to him as well. :angelwings:

K

·
0 Posts
Touching story Jim. I will keep praying and believing God with you for this woman's healing. Not everything works out according to what we plan but just "trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not to your own understanding. In everything acknowledge Him and He will direct your path."

God bless.

·
Premium Member
1,208 Posts
Dave i congratulate you on your fight to recovery, a very inspiring story i must say, After surviving the horrors of Iraq no bit of metal and concrete would be enough. :clap:
I had tears in my eyes reading your story man.

It just shows what FAITH and FAMILY can do for a person in their hour of need, It was not your time to go then,

May you live a long and happy life with Kylie, you can pass you story on to your children and grandchildren, and heck even you great grandchildren.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just wanted to thank everyone for all the very nice replies! Sorry its taken me so long, I've been running around like a chicken with my head cut off! I was writing a speech the VA wanted me to present to the traumatic brain injury commite. I gave it yesterday, it went very well, I think I'm a pretty good public speaker if i do say so myself!!! ;) Anyhow thanks again guys, y'all are the best!!!! :cheers: Dave

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Dave... that was amazing. I really don't know what to say. I am deeply moved and touched by this. I'm glad to know you wish you well.

-Joe

·
Registered
696 Posts
Dave, I could not even imagine what you went through. That inspires me to push myself more through my knee injury that I received while I was serving.(small compared to what you have gone through) Just let me know when you move to Alabama, if you still are, we will still plan that fishing trip. :tbh_flag:

Nate

·
Registered
130 Posts
Thank you for sharing your story! I have heard many stories similiar and I am amazed by all of them! What you guys go through and survive is just amazing! I am so happy that you do not know how to give up! Kylie is a blessing... I am so happy for both of you. God always knows exactly what He is doing and His plans are always the best.

I will keep your story in my thoughts and prayers will be sent your way!

Semper Fi

1 - 20 of 23 Posts