Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a question for Pro Reel, Master of all Reels, but please feel free to join in with any input. Just don't tell me that I am a stupid whatever, because I already know that, having heard it many times over the past day.

So, out to the lake, some of the folks have put up a $150 winner-takes-all bounty on the largest trash fish taken out of the lake between July 5 to October 1. Last night I decided to take a whack at the pot. I had been fishing for Bass using a jig and trailer a couple of days ago when a HUGE Catfish chased my retrieve back to the boat. It was close to 3' long with a head like a Mack Truck. So, i got the bright idea to go Catfishing from my dock.

I rigged up a heavy duty rod to which I attached a Shimano Soros reel spooled with 30# braid. I rigged up for Cats using a nice 5/0 Gammy hook and loaded up the contraption with liver. I had already set up one of those contraptions that attaches to your dock with big ol' thumbscrews to hold the rod. With a mighty heave, out went the liver bait and I walked away from the rig.

About 20 minutes later, I heard a huge splash and ran back to the dock. The entire rig had been pulled off the dock. I could see the rod and reel lying in about 3 feet of water. I grabbed a garden rake, retrieved the rod and reel, and proceeded to reel in a 40" Northern Pike. The beast had gut-hooked himself on the Gammy and I doubt he survived after I put him back in the water. Since I hate Pike, this is not an especially emotional event as far as I am concerned.

Which brings me to the reel. What do I do with an immersed spinning reel? I am blessed with 10 thumbs, so taking it apart is certainly not my area. Is the doggoned thing ruined by the bath? It was in the water for about 5 minutes. Does it require a professional cleaning? I will appreciate any and all recommendations.

·
Registered
13,775 Posts
I would suspect minimum problems for that short amount of time...Although, there likely will be some residual effect from it. I would use it for the rest of the season and see what happens...Then send it in over the winter to have Kevin go through it for you...

·
Premium Member
6,888 Posts
John: I'd go with what Mo said and then send it to Kevin! Unless of course it acts up before hand ;) ;) ;)

·
Premium Member
1,655 Posts
Sorry, but I just can't agree with waiting. Modern spinning reels have an anti reverse clutch thats made of steel rollers and a steel sleeve. That clutch is open to exposure under the rotor. It won't normally ever get wet from rain or even being rinsed off as long as the reel is held up while rinsing it to avoid water flowing under the rotor. Being dunked for even a minute though is more than enough time for water to have went under the rotor and into the clutch. When that cltch gets dunked, it will corrode. Whats worse is that under that clutch is an open, unsheilded bearing. Many times, that bearing will have enough grease to protect it, many times it won't. If water runs through that bearing it goes straight into the crankcase. The bearing will corrode if it got wet, the gears will coorde if they got wet. That reel needs to be taken apart, dried out, cleaned up and relubed right now. If you wait, the odds are that several parts will need to be replaced.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kevin, here I was all set to wait until the end of the season. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Please send me a PM with your address so I send this off to you ASAP. I also have a Stella that has a very cranky handle action and it needs some love too.

Thanks guys. Thanks to Kevin and all the great guys here who are such good resources for us.

·
Premium Member
4,943 Posts
2 for what Kevin said. Now, about that pike, cleaned, leave the "Y" bones in you know where they are and why waste the meat, set on foil, buttered, some tarragon, tyhme, rosemary, oregano, salt, pepper, and several lemon slices, wrap with the foil, place in 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes or until just starts to flake. Open a bottle of best wine, make a nice arugala salad and enjoy a wonderful taste treat. IMHO
Rodney

·
Premium Member
11,453 Posts
I have to agree with Kevin, I had a reel go swimming once and I actually dredged it up a week later. Took it apart cleaned and lubed it and it was good to go. That was two years ago. That being said, I have dunked them since then and did not take the time to relube them, thinking they were not wet long enough to matter, well now I know different. Thanks Kevin.

:thumbup01: :clap: :clap: :clap:

·
Premium Member
17,927 Posts
I would take all your reels to your nearest YMCA and enroll them in a swimming class ! :lmao: :rofl1: :tongue2: :neener: :lmao: :rofl1: :cool1:

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fish4FunInFl said:
I would take all your reels to your nearest YMCA and enroll them in a swimming class ! :lmao: :rofl1: :tongue2: :neener: :lmao: :rofl1: :cool1:
Very, very funny F4! :rofl1: :rofl1:

Actually, this is food for thought. Could Shimano make a spinning reel that is truly waterproof? As clumsy as I am, this might actually be something I would purchase.

·
Premium Member
945 Posts
Oldfart9999 said:
2 for what Kevin said. Now, about that pike, cleaned, leave the "Y" bones in you know where they are and why waste the meat, set on foil, buttered, some tarragon, tyhme, rosemary, oregano, salt, pepper, and several lemon slices, wrap with the foil, place in 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes or until just starts to flake. Open a bottle of best wine, make a nice arugala salad and enjoy a wonderful taste treat. IMHO
Rodney

I have to agree. People who don't like pike just don't know how to fillet them. I was raised by walleye fisherman who caught more pike than anything. We fished catfish to but the water was to polluted to eat em. Now I fish crappie for food and Bass for sport/pleasure. Life is good. :cheers: :chug: :soda:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts