Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got some of these new Tsunami Baits rubber mice, and well, I had to tinker. I took both sets of trebles off of it, put both split rings on the back with a 3/0 Owner offset worm hook, then put a zoom trick worm cut in half on the hook.

in water...

·
Premium Member
3,225 Posts
Excellent! Now go catch a lunker on it. I might try something like that. Thanks for sharing.

Jim

G

·
That is very creative of you. I can however see that if a bass hits the mouse that it could not get a hook up. If that mouse had a single hook that is texposed then that would be pretty cool.

·
Registered
696 Posts
that looks awesome, u can use zoom finesse worm on there too. cant wait to see a lunker on the other end of it

·
Premium Member
13,633 Posts
pretty cool concoction Jaypea! :clap:

I cant wait to hear how it does. I am most curious of the strike to hook up ratio.. but it looks cool! :thumbup01:

·
Premium Member
3,987 Posts
It will work! However be prepared for schools of dinks to follow and harass the worm. I agree that a belly hook will increase hookup ratio's, as adult bass will grab the mouse, not the tail. You might also want to split the tail with a fillet knife about half way. Tinkering with baits is what bass fishing is all about. Have fun and catch lots of bass.
Tom

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LakeCityYankee said:
pretty cool concoction Jaypea! :clap:

I cant wait to hear how it does. I am most curious of the strike to hook up ratio.. but it looks cool! :thumbup01:
Here's your hook up ratio...... 9:0....... translated it means BASS 9, Mouse 0. Had 9 incredible blow ups on it today and could not stick the first fish :sad2: Going back to the drawing board to see what I can do about it. The problem was that the fish were inhaling the whole thing and when I set the hook, the large body of the mouse opened their mouth enough to allow the hook to come out without touching a thing. Got to incorporate a treble somehow that will still alow me to throw into the slop like I did today. The action was incredible, just couldn't hook up.

·
Premium Member
13,633 Posts
I had a thought when i saw it this morning Jaypea... Im not sure what ya call teh hook BUT a large treble hook with one hook cut off it. Lay split ring it to the front hook eye so that the two remaining hooks lay up against the mouse body then rubber band it in place so it stays snug. Then you have the senko n hook on back and that large 2 hooked treble on the front/mouse

am I making sense? I wish I had a scanner here at work id draw it and scan my drawing

·
Premium Member
13,633 Posts
oh wait.. is that a soft body mouse or a hard body? if its a hard body.. my idea may not be so good. It may or may not work in the case of a hard body.

·
Premium Member
3,987 Posts
Do what I do with swimbaits, use a wire from the nose eye to the hook and a small dot magnet glued to the belly to keep a double frog hook help up tight against it.
Tom
See; Swim baits, Oldschools photos and Swim bait tips in Tips & Tactics for the wire info. The round disk magnets are available from Hobie shop or craft making shops, about 3/16 D X 1/16 thick.

G

·
Or if it is a soft plastic a single 5/0 hook texas rigged through it with the point texposed on top would be better then no hook.

·
Premium Member
3,987 Posts
The frog hooks I use are Owner double frog hook, #5671-141 is a 4/0 and maybe be too big for the size frog you have? They look about 2" long and a size 2 not 4/0 double hook would be a better choice. You can cut one hook off a treble to start with.
Tom

1 - 14 of 14 Posts