Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been at it now for a couple months and have found what I think is a very productive process for completing new jigs:

1. pour jig with either base hole pin or teflon and break sprue off immediately
2. heat 15 jigs in toaster oven for 15-20 mins
3. pull 1 jig out at a time insert Teflon pin and powder paint (fluid bed) remove pin
4. quench in water until all 15 jigs are painted
5. place all 15 jigs back in over for 15-20 mins to cure
6. install fiber weed guard in jig with super glue gel
7. dress with skirt of choice

Complete

Will be investing in an additional toaster over to half the time but all in all works well for me (for my use only and a few lucky friends) Does anyone else quench in water between coating and curing? I did allot of searching and didn't see anyone mention it but seems to work for me I was getting a flat spot or worse sticking to the table quenching stopped that I get a very nice finish this way.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
1. pour jig with either base hole pin or teflon and break sprue off immediately
2. heat 15 jigs in toaster oven for 15-20 mins
3. pull 1 jig out at a time insert Teflon pin and powder paint (fluid bed) remove pin
4. quench in water until all 15 jigs are painted
5. place all 15 jigs back in over for 15-20 mins to cure
6. install fiber weed guard in jig with super glue gel
7. dress with skirt of choice

Step 2...Only needs to be about 5 minutes.

Step 3...Why are you taking the pins out when heating?

Step 4...Why not hang it back in the oven?

Step 5...Not needed.

It will be easier if you reverse step 6 and 7.

You can also heat your unpainted heads with a cheap heat gun, paint them then hang them in the oven for baking.

Either way you can cut lots of time off your process.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Looks like you have it all figured out. As long as it works for you that's all that matters.

In regards to the quenching. The reason you are getting flat spots on your jig, is because you are putting a hot jig on a flat surface. The water quenching adds no value and you can skip this step by hanging your jigs on a rod by the hook bend. Once they cool you will have a beautiful looking jig. No need to full around with water and you'll save a lot of time.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah i watched a video and the guy made a simple rack with some small dowel rod got to get around to making one but yeah that was the reason for the water.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts