Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
I am happy to say i dont think i have ever seen one...Much less caught one...Looks like a pretty nasty fish...lol

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
They're the reason i dont fish chatterbaits anymore, fun to catch but they will definately tear up a lure. Dave

·
Premium Member
17,930 Posts
Last one I caught was on a horny toad. buzzing it over some lilypads, seen the pads move under it, so I killed it right past the pads and BOOM.

K

·
0 Posts
Those fish are tough as nails. Once hooked they are hard to control as they will lay perfectly still baiting you to grab them then once grabbed they will revolt and twist and fight with every ounce of strength they have making it near to impossible to hang on to them haha.

In East Texas they call them Grinnell also. I think Florida has more of those fish then anywhere else in the country. I would have to say that of all the lakes I have fished here in Florida that Rodman Reservoir has to be the Mudfish capital.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I know where the Kissimmee River dumps into Lake Okeechobee is full of mudfish. Theres people that eat them, they say the meat is very white. I dont like to eat fish on a regular basis so i have no clue whether its good or not. Dave

·
Registered
82 Posts
Mudfish are good eatin. I only eat the smaller ones though. Big ones are old and have to much mercury in em.
Pegleg

·
Premium Member
4,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
they will lay perfectly still baiting you to grab them then once grabbed they will revolt and twist and fight with every ounce of strength they have making it near to impossible to hang on to them haha.
keith you made the nightmare of unhooking them come back..... by the way the plastic grippers in photo 1 didn't last past that fish. that was the first tie i tried them too.
i think i'l buy the little baseball bat they sell in bass pro,
and dave those critters ate 3 of the 4 chatterbait i had just purchased at the classic last year
:cry01: :cry01: :cry01: :cry01:
later
rich

·
Registered
3,400 Posts
I have caught a few of these in NJ. They are supposed to be prehistoric. Some people confuse them with snakeheads which are usually bad news to indiginous fish populations. You don't want to lip one of these critters. It's like grabbing the wrong end of a chain saw! I'll have to try for one so I can post a pic. (Any excuse to get out to fish)

·
Registered
809 Posts
I hate those stupid mudfish. First, they bite and you think you got a big bass on. Then they tear up your lure. After you get them in the boat, they begin to attempt to destroy your boat and everything in it. I used to carry a tire thumper (mini baseball bat) in my boat for such occasions. I called it the board of education for educating the mudfish not to bite my bass lures any more. I caught more of those nasty fish in North Carolina than anywhere else.

·
Premium Member
3,084 Posts
I'll admit that I personally have targeted the dogfish when out fishing at Lock and Dam 8 along the Mississippi River. They are a blast and fight like son of a guns. I don't keep any - they just are fun to catch.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts