Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, a promotion took me from Virginia down to Georgia and now we're Minnesota bound.

I literally know nothing about northern fishing. I've never lived north of the mason dixon line....never ice fished....the only "pike" I've caught is a chain pickerel.....never fished anywhere that had a targetable walleye population....never seen a musky in person...

Probably going to be looking in the area of Waconia or Victoria - will be working in Golden Valley.

Any tips, suggestions, general feedback? Not really sure what to expect up there :)

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Minneapolis is an AWESOME city! First things first, learn the local fishing laws. They have seasons on most things, and it is very important that you know them. Next, if you are in down town Minneapolis it is almost impossible to drive 30 minutes with out finding PUBLIC water! I lived in area for a bit and i have VERY fond memories of that. There are public fishing areas ALL over, and most lakes have a public ramp. They want you to fish up there. I hear the hunting is good too, but that is not my gig.

FOOD: "The Holy Land" is a middle eastern deli. Awesome food. Amazing Gyros, probably some of the best i have ever eaten. They have great prices on their groceries too.
There are a TON of local markets, along with the mega-marts. You can find butcher shops, FRESH fish, local farm produce and even some wacky cured meats. People from MN really love their farmer's markets. I miss them.

If you have children get a membership to the Apple Valley Zoo. Clean, safe, and very nice! Heck, get a membership even if you do not have kids. I love zoos. If you like Board Games and the like there are a ton of game stores up there. My personal favorite is Misty Mountain North. Clean, well stocked, and well run. Good prices too.

Let me know if you have other questions.
Brandon

·
Registered
13,775 Posts
I lived in the area for a long time, on multiple occasions. Most recently on the far west side, close by where you are referring. You're going to be within a 20 minute drive of Lake Minnetonka (where I used to live) which has some outstanding fishing, but a TON of pleasure boaters as well.
Obviously you will have Lake Waconia right there, but you will also have 40 lakes within a 45 minute drive from you, and never have to head into Minneapolis itself.
Get yourself some local maps and start exploring...Talk to local bait shops, neighbors, and people you meet at your new employment. Panfish, Walleye, Bass and Pike will be found in virtually any body of water you choose. Drive a few hrs north and you will be in the middle of some of the best fishing in the Midwest.

Once you get settled in, give me a shout and I'll see if I can help you more specifically.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Awesome feedback guys, thank you so much. I am really excited. I dont know how much fishing I'll get done in the first 6 months (which stinks considering it will be summer) but I definitely hope to find a smaller body of water and try to learn it significantly.

I understand this will vary from body of water to body of water but what is the typical water clarity up there in terms of feet? I've always grown up in the south where muddy water and less than 1-2' of visibility was the norm.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, June was a little ambitious.....Here we are August 1st tomorrow and we're still in Ga :)

Probably September now. Flying up with the wife tomorrow to look at homes. Got a few water-front on the Mississippi and Elk rivers and others on private ponds. Crossing my fingers on those but not getting my heart set on them.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow, so we moved but I switched computers and lost this site from my bookmarks.

We moved up from Georgia in early October.

We bought a house on the Mississippi River in Elk River, MN. Before the weather got cold, I was able to get a little fishing in from our shoreline and I caught about 5-6 small mouth and 1 northern. I am in full blown cabin fever mode right now just because I want to explore the river in my jon boat.

But I do enjoy the snow and cold weather. It's a welcome difference from Georgia heat. I haven't gone ice fishing yet but I have a coworker that is going to take me soon. I stop by Medicine Lake and watch those guys out on the lake during my lunch break.

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
Welcome to Minnesota....my home state! I spent the 1st 21 years of my life there...growing up near Brainerd (Al Lindner / In-Fisherman country). :fishing02:

Always have loved the lakes & rivers in the state.

Minn has IMHO one of the best DNR's in the country...and their website is full of fishing info.

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/fishing/index.html

They also have an extensive # of downloadable lake maps...use this page to find them...

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/lakefind/index.html

Elk River is in Sherburne County....so that will help you get started with those.

The Mississippi River there should be great for smallmouths. Other fish you will run across are pike, walleye, channel catfish, muskie, rock bass and maybe a few bluegill & sunfish.

If you can handle shore fishing...don't hesitate to check out the smaller rivers in the area too.

I have a ton of fishing info for the state. Shoot me a PM if you'd be interested. :thumbup01:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.