Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wanting to know what you think has been the book that has taught you the most about bass fishing. Not magazines. I'll start off with what mine is, and I recommend it for everyone that would like to learn more about the BASS. It is the MODERN BOOK OF THE BLACK BASS by Byron Darymple. The first time I read it was in 1977. There are several years it was circulated, the one I read in 77 was from 1974, the latest updated version is from 1995. Great book to learn more about the fish we're after. That's my favorite, what is yours?

·
Premium Member
3,987 Posts
The two bass fishing books that got me started are;
Lucas on Bass Fishing,by Jason Lucas published by Dodd, Mead & Co, 1947, 1949, 1962.
Black Bass Fishing, by Robert Page Lincoln published by The Stackpole Co, 1952, 1955.
My favorite book is In Pursuit of Giant Bass by Bill Murphy published by Giant Bass publishing, 1992.
The grandfather of all bass books is Book of the Black Bass by James Henshall published Robert Clark & Co, 1881
Tom

·
Premium Member
13,633 Posts
I have read a lot of books but the one book that comes to mind right away is Doug Hannon's Big Bass Magic. I read it back in the 80s and it literally improved my fishing over night.

A few other books that I recall as being very informative and helpful were:
"How to Find Fish and Make Them Strike" by Joseph D Bates Jr
"A Complete Guide to Lake Fishing" by David Richey
"The Comprehensive Guide to Largemouth Bass Patterns" by Babe Winkleman.

Of course I have read tons of others but these are the ones that stand out the most. If I recall correctly the Joseph Bates book was excellent as it discussed lake classifications and structure beautifully.

I too have a copy of Book of Black Bass by Henshall. I cant say i have read it from cover to cover but I have read exerpts here and there.

Aside from t hese books, the most informative tool I have is my bass fishing magazine collection. I have 100's of them all categorized in a database i created so i can search for articles on any subject by any keyword. This allows me to have whatever information i seek at my finger tips in a matter of seconds. Granted I still have A LOT of magazines to log into it but so far I have close to 2000 articles catalogued. :thumbup01:

·
Premium Member
3,987 Posts
I believe most bass fishing books and there are some very good books out there, are mostly about one area of the country that the author has experienced. Few if any books can cover the bass fishing world very effectively, from all the lake classifications, rivers and ponds. The other issue with any book is they are dated the moment it's published. Things change and bass fisherman need to keep up to date if they are competitive tournament fisherman or just want to catch a few for personal enjoyment.
The BEST book is being being written as we speak on this web site and others. There is and will be more information regarding bass fishing on this site than any one book could ever cover.
Tom

·
Premium Member
13,633 Posts
oldschool said:
There is and will be more information regarding bass fishing on this site than any one book could ever cover.
Tom
Amen!! :clap:

and it is one of my goals to figure out a surefire method of categorizing and archiving all the excellent info without having it burried 100 pages or 1000000 posts deep like every other forum. but i digress ;)

·
Premium Member
3,225 Posts
We have a very good search engine here. Any phrase put in quotes, like "red flake", will bring up every post mentioning that. What we might do, a good winter job, is make an index where folks can click on key words and phrases to see what a previous search yielded. My idea is to make sure everyone learns the power of the engine. Once they click a few times they should start doing their own custom searches and pick up every word written on any subject. I think a monthly reminder post demonstrating the engine would be good and probably raise a lot of questions to talk out. We haven't said it all yet and probably never will.

Jim

·
Premium Member
3,225 Posts
The one book that most influenced me about fishing is one I still have in it's original dust cover, the tenth printing (1967) of "The Complete Book of Fresh Water Fishing" by P. Allen Parsons, put out by Outdoor Life. It isn't all that comprehensive, but was a huge eye opener that brought me out of some useless habits and beliefs. It was given one Christmas, and the year before "The Book of Black Bass". I sure wish I still had that big old book, but it burned in 1980. I have a replacement printed in the 90's. I've read it a few times and referred to it many times, but consider it more like the college habitat management textbooks, a bit tedious to sit down and read like you would a novel. Maybe it was the so very proper writing style of the late 1800s. The fresh water fishing book was on loan so escaped being burned along with everything else I owned. It doesn't have much on Largemouth, but by the time I read it for the 5th or 6th time I had a darn good idea about fish in general and a keen want-to to learn all I could find about bass. It wasn't easy to find new writings on bass. Then in college I had a lot of required reading , but you know, we didn't learn much more about bass. The emphasis was on habitat, the whole fishery environment, of which bass were a tiny part. Once you get the habitat and food chain stuff down you know where any predator fish should be and what it's up to.

Jim

·
Premium Member
13,633 Posts
I believe learning about Largemouth and bass in general is of course important but just learning about fish, the forage, the types of lakes, conditions that affect all the above, weather and moon impact will help you with ANY type of fishing regardless of species or location. I believe information like that can not be dated really. If it was written in the 80s or the 21st century, I think it will still be helpful. Sure new lures have come and so have new techniques but I do believe little has changed about lake classifications, weather patterns, moon phases, fish biology etc... all stuff that, if learned, can be very helpful.

·
Premium Member
3,987 Posts
Information needs to be available to be able to read to learn from it. I wrote "The Cosmic and Bass Calendar" before most of todays fisherman were borne. How many members on this board for example ever read anything like that before or have taken the time to read it since it's been posted?, a few at best. Everything you need to know about black bass fishing is there, however if the information is hard to comprehend of simply not main stream knowledge, then it's of little interest. I spent the time posting The big picture and The Doldrums or Dog days of summer, timely considering where we are in both knowledge base and calendar periods. Neither posts may not help at this moment and todays bass fisherman may not take the time out to read, it's like a book to read and broaden their knowledge base.Todays bass fisherman want something for this moment in time and for their specific application. With a good search tool like Jim suggested, it will be available for the moment, if it's published and shared in advance.
Tom
note; I'm not complaining, it's just a fact of life from lessions learned.

·
Premium Member
3,225 Posts
Let me take all of you (you too, Tom) back in time 44 years to see if anyone had anything significant to say to us fledgling bassers in those days. We were mostly topwater anglers then, using some crankbaits like the Heddon River Runt. We saw Crème worms on shelves here & there, but hardly anyone bought them. No instructions came with them, and really no hooks fit worms back then, at least in a logical way. We only knew what we already knew, couldn’t get a vision of the T-rig for a few more years. In the year 1963 the instructions were published, but not to be read until about 4 years later. Here’s what that book that influenced me most said about worms, and you will understand why it impacted me. The words are remarkably fitting of the year 2007. Page 216…

"Plastic Worms…..These worms are something new in game-fish lures and their success has been terrific. They come in black, pink, white and brown. Plastic Worms…..These worms are something new in game-fish lures and their success has been terrific. They come in black, pink, white and brown. You fish them much like you do a jig, though you jerk them higher to give the dangling plastic a lifelike action, not only on the upward jerk but as the lure sinks.

In addition to the steep inclines off points, you will find similar good bass holes off rock or sand bars. If the state where you are fishing publishes a biological survey of your favorite lake, showing water depths, inclines, bars, etc., it will save you a lot of time in hunting these bass holes. Some shorelines, as shown on such maps, have water that deepens rapidly in a series of steps. Fish such water by casting into the shallows near shore, and working the jig or worm downward into deep water step by step. Watch the lure closely. If you see it stutter or pause, strike. It may be a bass. If it is a rock or snag, what of it? These lures are cheap."

If you've been here reading posts long you see I still talk stuff like that. All that has changed is more manufacturers, new colors, shapes, tail types, new hook shapes, better sinkers, better line, etc. We still use that technique. We've added a few new presentations and rigging styles. But ALL YOU REALLY NEED TO KNOW is at least 44 years old. Tom and I read all that stuff and put it to practice long before many of you were walking. We want all of ya'll to see what we've seen ASAP. We're still seeing and learning and you need to do that too.

Think Denny Brauer invented secrets of jigging? Think again. The central core of his techniques is in that book. You are reading it over and over in modern books, magazines, here, and on other websites. A hundred years from now the same basic instructions will still be around.

What do you get out of it all? Better bass finding and catching. If fishing tournaments, an edge here & there. A fuller understanding of the game of the environment. Some us us here have this down very well, but I suspect a large number of members are just beginning. Read, search out, practice ideas that click inside you, and be sure to log on and ask the questions no matter how "beginner" it is.

I tried to find publisher contact information, but it isn't available. The Outdoor Life folks didn't have a clue.

Jim

·
Premium Member
3,225 Posts
A much more recent book that I know has a big influence on readers is Homer Circle's "Bass Wisdom". It's small enough and simply written for reading through in a couple days. It makes a really good door prize at bass club meetings, and so far everyone that got it appreciates the differences it made in their fishing. I recommend it for inexperienced anglers wanting to get more serious about bassing but are not ready for technical writings.

Jim

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've read some of the books you all have posted, some of them have been very helpful to me. Jared, I'm with you on some of the books still not being outdated even tho they were written years ago. The book I spoke of, is that way, along with most of the others on ya'lls list I have read. I'm just glad no one has said the Compleat Angler, I have tried to read that book 3 times and just can't get thru it. . I have read some books that I have enjoyed about fishing, but they weren't books I would call informative in educating me about fishing. Like Sowbelly, I liked the book okay, but I don't think anything in it actually helps me catch fish better. Keep them coming.

·
Premium Member
3,987 Posts
Any bass fisher interested finesse or how to use your sonar/GPS should have a copy of Don Iovino's book Finesse Bass fishing and the Sonar Connection.
http://iovino.com/
Bill Murphy passed away last year and he was a friend of mine, proceeds from Bill's book go to help his family. It's a good book for serious bass fisherman.
http://www.amazon.com/Pursuit-Giant-Bass-Bill-Murphy/dp/0963312006
Bill and I didn't see eye to eye on using live bait. Bill passed away from skin cancer, it can kill, so take care of your skin and use sun block every time out on the water.
Tom

·
Registered
64 Posts
The books you guys mentioned are nice collectors items but many books are outdated and dont compare with a good magazine to the more serious angler who reads constantly. I have around 30 books on bass fishing and my top 5 are in no particular order...

1. KVD-Bass Stategies-very informative lets you get into the mind of KVD

2.KVD-Secrets of a Champion-similar but cover topics more in depth for the more serious angler

3.Denny Brauer-Jig fishing secrets-Denny Brauer and Jigs-enough said

4.Denny Brauer-Seasonal Patterns-old but still very good

5.CRITICAL CONCEPTS 1: LARGEMOUTH BASS FUNDAMENTALS-great series the best book ever on general knowledge on Largemouth

6.CRITICAL CONCEPTS 1: LARGEMOUTH BASS Location-again maybe best book ever on location-great value as well both these books were cheap cant wait for the next two in series on tactics and the smallmouth series

7.Secrets of the Pros-NAFC library-I have another book thats similar but this one is a little more up to date

8.Big Bass Zone-best book ever on big bass

9.Knowing Bass-Very Scientific and in depth but lots of great info

10. The Comprehensive Guide to Largemouth Bass Patterns- by Babe Winkleman-out of date but still very good, little more made for northern waters but a good book for the beginner, very in depth

I am still looking for more great books

·
Premium Member
1,383 Posts
before the computer and just after the invention of the wheel, way back when Jim was fishin` pink plastic worms on a bamboo stik in coveralls, there was this thing called the library...lol... tip to all, check out a few books ,if you like um, check on line to buy... ~just razin you jim :neener:

the first book i ever picked up on bass brought out the predator in me, i hadn't even fished for bass before 'really' but the way the book talked about the target prey ,and pointed out bass weaknesses, habits, and dis/likes it was like i had this insight and knowledge that would let me hunt down and exploit them? i forget the name of the book ,it was a friends, i was 22 maybe, i can recall the one section talking about 'bass sight' and how they can take a hour to adjust to sunlight from darkness and if fishing @ those time the goods bads and what nots to do to improve hook ups.. i think it was a few years after that i really started fishing bass...

jim/jared/oldschl/ i have to say i am guilty of not posting to every good read i have ever read on here! i have read alot when not logged in and then i just forget to post or somethin? then i never go back to the topic? and it is forgoten till someone brings it up again....oldschl if you look at how many people have read some of your post compared to how many say anything then you would know people read what you post...unless it's just jim rereading it abunch of times :rofl1:

i agree~ we need copile great info some how? and block the games/jokes/ from the searches..

·
Registered
469 Posts
Wow, I feel smarter just reading this thread. :dance01: Old School, your work on here as not been in vane for I too have read many of your posts. Unfortunately, I have no memory left. But I do retain some of what I've read. And Jared, that's a lot of catagorizing. But you must enjoy it or you would not do it. For that we all thank you. :clap: :clap: :clap: . :tbh: forever.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts