Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a bit of reading here & on the TU site, and after having some problems pouring with the cooler weather, I decided to try a mold release agent. "Smoking" a mold with a candle is the cheap way out, but it isn't the best, it doesn't always work. After a search on the web, I went to Amazon.com and went through what they had, many of the release agents are silicone based and only work up to about 400 degrees, lead melts at over 600. I found one made by a company called Slide, it is boron nitride and is good to 1800 degrees, more than enough. I ordeed a can at about 19$, the shipping was about 10$, it is an aerosol, that is why the shipping is so much. The instructens said to apply 2 light coats and I did( being an Oldfart, I learned to read the directions first), it leaves a dull, pale finish to the mold. I fired up my pot, got out some hooks and base pins, and proceeded to pour, what a difference. Now my pours come clean and release from the mold easier, the release stays on the mold for a long time, after over an hour of pouring I still do not have to respray.
If you are having any trouble at all with your pours, try this, it makes life easier. There are other places to get the release, and some might be left expensive so take the time to look.
Rodney

·
Premium Member
11,453 Posts
Thanks Rodney, thats a great sounding product. Ill remember this when I get started doing some lead pouring this summer. :thumbup01: :thumbup01:

·
Premium Member
4,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I checked out Zeiner's, I know Ted recommends it, they are half the price of where I went and Ted said it works great, I'd go that route. A little bit goes a long way.
Rodney

1 - 7 of 7 Posts