Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't Know

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please vote to help us decide which season to feature first. You can use this poll to either report a current season or to say which season you prefer to discuss, current or not. We might end up doing all seasons in several threads concurrently if the votes are split too much to decide on one. Thanks for your input. Jim

·
Premium Member
17,927 Posts
Might be a late bloomer or two, BUTthe spawn should be done in FL. ( at least in central FL )

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Very few fish on beds here. There have been a couple of late bloomers though. I've been catching them on secondary structure and cover.
-Joe

·
Registered
841 Posts
In upper SC, some of the lower lakes Clarks hill, Russell have has some spawners the upper lakes, keowee and Jocassee have been reported to have had some spawners also, but the fish I have been catching have not spawned yet in the upper lakes, nice fat bellies. I heard today Hartwell and Lower part of Keowee, had fish on bed last night during a tx. Weather been issue here also.

·
Banned
539 Posts
I hear what fish4 and Redtrap are saying and my gut tells me they are right, but with the weather patterns we have had lately, I do not believe all the fish ave spawned. I really feel we are still at 50% between pre and Post spawn in most of Florida

·
Registered
419 Posts
Hard to tell here due to the cold fronts we have had. I'm guessing that with the warmer air this week and rising water temps, there is some spawning in progress. I hope to find out this weekend. :dance01:

·
Premium Member
3,987 Posts
There are several factors to consider between late pre spawn and actual spawning. Big lakes have zones within the lake body that warm faster. For example the wind protected areas that have traditional spawner's located in the upper third of a lake, that doesn't have a cold flowing river entering the area, would be the first zone to consider. The big IF is the river water temperatures being influenced by cold rain run off. IF that is the situation, than you move down lake to the middle zone. The deepest water is always the dam area and that is the last zone to transition, therefor the most stable zone area during cold weather periods. Lots of little things to thinker with when trying to predict bass locations, even during the spawning period. Most big lakes will have a primary spawn, secondary spawn and late bloomers, so during the middle of a "spawn" you will have pre spawn, spawn and post spawn going on at the same time somewhere on the lake. The key where to fish for the big girls and what to target them with. Hope we can answer all that for you.
Tom
Ps; You can be the best bass fisherman on the planet and fish the wrong place at the right time and get skunked or catch a bag of dinks.

·
Premium Member
3,987 Posts
Jim, Altough this is one of the best projects that would enhance everyones bass fishing skills, the response is too minimal to take on this project. The time and effort on both your and my time would be very demanding, not to mention the knowledge involved to make these predictions realistic.
I applogize to those who did respond and will support this effort only when the demand justifies the effort.
Tom

G

·
TCB, spawn finished for some time now bro. Water temps are in the mid 70's. Where ya been? :D Heck the Tilapia are all sitting on beds now. Soon Bream will be on their beds.

·
Banned
539 Posts
Disagree, caught 2 off of beds in the St Johns last weekend and saw a third that ran each time I got close enough to see her. I did back off and blind cast with finesse worms, topwater and creature baits but never could tempt her to bite.

With all the cold fronts we have seen lately I believe there are more late spawner's than ever this year. The water I saw in the rivers started at 58 and warmed up to 62. I know thats a bit further north than your location, but I have to believe it exists on other lakes as well.

·
Premium Member
13,631 Posts
many here claim the bass are off the beds in Santee too but last weekend i saw fish migrating in to spawn... BIGGG fish! Was an AMAZING sight to behold!

G

·
Well if water is in the 60's then I will concede that their are bass on beds somewhere. Garcia lake I have been fishing is too shallow and thus warms up quick and has no current like the river has to keep it cooler.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
oldschool said:
Jim, Altough this is one of the best projects that would enhance everyones bass fishing skills, the response is too minimal to take on this project. The time and effort on both your and my time would be very demanding, not to mention the knowledge involved to make these predictions realistic.
I applogize to those who did respond and will support this effort only when the demand justifies the effort.
Tom
You know, I will speak on my behalf of the 12 that voted on this topic. I am a little irked that the 12 of us are not enough to satisfy your ego Tom. I would give any info I had to just one person if that was all that asked, but that's just me. I don't need a big audience to share my knowledge. In the future Tom, please feel free not to reply to any of my posts as I am only one person asking a question. I would rather the response come from a humble fisherman who just wants to share their passion and doesn't care who receives it. I just lost a lot of respect for you Tom.
-Joe

P.S. Bassholes please forgive me. I hope I offended no one else here as this is the best board I have ever been apart of. I am not trying to attack Tom, but his reply really angered me and I am not the type to let it go unspoken. I do apologize for the negaivity of this post as there are very few here, but I had to say something.

·
Premium Member
3,987 Posts
Speaking for myself, this was a major project that was going to take about one full day for each seasonal period after studying a topo map and get water temperature and conditions to determine the best area to research for that particular season, to do this properly. It seemed like a good project if only 10 percent of the members were interested. However less than 3 percent posted any interest and if only a hand full of members are interested and no one could settle on which lake, why continue?. If this seems selfish to you on my part, what would you have done? Tell me what lake you or any of the 12 that responded are currently fishing, what seasonal period is of interest to you, what the water temps are and I will try to locate a map and pick a area and suggest a few presentations to try and why the area and presentations should work. This is a lot simpler than trying to figure out an entire lake over all the seasons, try to post map details with meaningfull dialog, when you have never been on that water.
Tom

1 - 20 of 41 Posts