Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Year’s ago I wanted to be able to make my own spinnerbait skirts, so I bought some material from www.jannsnetcraft.com www.barlowstackle.com and www.staminainc.com
and put it into a little kit like this.

I was disappointed with the various things that were available to spread out / open the "bands" that hold the skirts together, so I went out and got me a vise ($20) and a couple of hollow needles ($3.95 for 2 of them).
You can see the needles at http://www.wrights.com/products/catalog/boyeline/knittneedles.htm

Take one of the needles and cut it to desired length. After you’ve cut it, take a small file and file down the rough edges on your new “tool”.

Lubricate the tool with a little bit of petroleum jelly, then slide the band onto the tool.

Cut some strands of material in the colors that you want for the skirt.

After you have reset the tool in the vise, slide in the skirt material and slide the band up onto the material.

You can then slide the band further down the length of the strands, then trim the ends of the strands. If you need a shorter skirt, cut lengths prior to putting the band on to save material.

You can also use a small hobby-type needle-nose pliers, although this isn’t as easy.

The vise also comes in handy for MANY other things too :cool2:

·
Registered
0 Posts
Great information. Another thing that I have found, since I have started making my own jigs and skirts, is that a pair of long-nose pliers works well for making skirts.

Where I work, we carried Craftsman Tools for a while, and they had a 3 pc. plier set that sat there forever. One day, they decided that since they had carried them for almost 3 years and the sales were less than stellar, that they would put everything AT COST and get rid of them. So, I got the little 3 pc. set for something like $10. These are perfect for getting into a small fish's mouth or in this case, for sliding the band onto and opening the jaws up, sliding the skirt material into, and sliding the band back off. :thumbup01:

·
Registered
0 Posts
I guess that it might help if I looked at ALL the titles under the pics. Actually, I find that using the little pair of pliers is quite easy. Like everything else, it just takes time, practice, and patience. :thumbup01: It saved me from spending more $$$ on a vise and other things that I would have needed, and in this instance, it serves multiple purposes. :thumbup01:

·
Premium Member
3,224 Posts
That sure is a better looking system than mine. I cut the end off a very thick ballpoint pen which has to be held by hand since a vise would crush the plastic. Been looking for a better way. Thanks Dave!!!!

Jim

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I can top that Jim....before I found the needles, I actually went shopping for a pen that had a tiny sharp tip and a fat barrel. I did find one...and sometime in the next few days I'll get a pic up of it.

It worked OK....it was of softer plastic than most pens...but I thought I could do better, and then I found the needles in a size that would work. :dance01:

I'm also glad to see that "naked bait" product works for some of you guys too ;)

But for me though, having a small vise has had it's benefits :clap: and it's small size and clamp mean I can use it basically on any table :cool2:

Ouachita said:
That sure is a better looking system than mine. I cut the end off a very thick ballpoint pen which has to be held by hand since a vise would crush the plastic. Been looking for a better way. Thanks Dave!!!!

Jim

·
Registered
15 Posts
what i use is a alum. arrow shaft cut to lenght,slide insert of proper dia.unglued with a field tip screwed into it of slightly larger dia. into the shaft.roll your bands for your skirt on to the shaft using the field tip.after you have your bands on remove feild tip and insert. than using a stiff wire with a small enough hook to fit into the shaft slide it to hook onto your kilts.pull kilts to desired lenght into the arrow shaft.roll your band onto the kilt and pull the finished skirt out of shaft and trim to lenght,been doing this for years and it works with all rubber collers

·
Premium Member
1,383 Posts
hey dave!

good info!

i skip all that, as i am not to hands on, but when my spinner bait is ready to fall apart, i am ready with.....are you ready....? trash bag ties....yep trash bag ties, i twist on atleast 2 with the pliers before the rubber band breaks and it works great almost better than the rubber band....hell add a twist tie to a new spinner to see how it holds up...you can use diffrent colors(from bread bags) or rip the paper of the regular trash bag ties... or sharpie them any color if they are white!...., i have done 2 custom ones with left over fluff, and other torn up baits but have not fished them yet? also use this on any tied hook/jig/fly if it is the top producer for the day, but you notice it is about to fall apart throw a twist tie on it before it's to late....carry them in you tackle for tons of fixes! my favorite ******* fix hands down sept for duckt tape, its trash bag ties....

twisting the wire takes alittle practice so as not to twist it and break it to low..

·
Registered
641 Posts
thats a good tip turd lol ima have to try it cuz i have jigs and spinnerbaits that get too much sun and weakens the rubber band deal. i use to tie fishing line real tite on mine and also tried other rubber bands just keep looping it until its tight. but this was a few years ago and now i always just went andf bought new ones lol

i do have a tackel box with all kinds of spare parts an stuff because u never know when your gona have to rig somethen up and need part or somethn for a spinnerbait.

·
Premium Member
1,383 Posts
:cool2: glad someone likes it...lol

i bet a few guys shop for bread diffrently...

wife...."honey why did you buy this cheap bread?"

..."um, it had a tuff looking red twist tie on it"...hubby

wife....."why 20 loaves?"

i just take the bundle out of the trash bags when we git them, and every once in awhile off the bread bags , the bread bag ones are coated with a better plastic and trash bags mosly cheap easy to peel paper, so if you leave on the bread bag ties it will last longer and give color...
but the more you twist or bend um the more they break...

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here's the ink pen barrel that I had cut off for the bands....the tip was pointed enough (AND stable) that I can work the bands right up on the shaft. Handy to shove in the pocket while out on the water.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
This here is some OUTSTANDING! info in this post. Great tips and ideas to help us out!
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

THANKS!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,383 Posts
:thumbup01: good tip dave! long time no read...lol

i bet you could cut a old sharpie pen and use it for senko O~rings, it beats pay`n $5.00 for a .10 cent tool....lol

keep the info comin you rookie.... :tongue2: :rofl1: :rofl1: :chug: :thumbup01:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.