Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok folks...I was out a few days ago and ran into a gentlemen fishing some of the same techniques as myself. He went to cast (using a baitcaster) and just launched it a good 60 yards! Never seen that before. He did it on two different reels. One of those reels looked like an old trolling reel. The other was your typical low profile. What got me the most, was that he was using a T-rig soft plastic with a 1/4oz bullet weight!! He threw that thing like I've never seen, lol. I couldn't that far with a 3/4oz lipless crank...and I can cast that thing like you wouldn't believe.

So what's the secret to getting those super long casts like that!? If I could do it, I would always tear into those fish. The always seem to be just out of reach when shore fishing. I'm using 8-10lb test line and I have my main brake to where the bait will free fall when I hit the release. Is it my other brake? Does it have to be in free mode?? Any and all help or advice will be really appreciated. Thanks folks.

Mike

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
One thing is to use a upper end reel. Me I rarely use breaks on my reels unless its windy or with certain baits that catch air. Another thing is make sure your rods laods up correctly for what your doing . Last send your reels off to pro reel and get tuned. Once you train your thumb to free spool you'll be amazed at the energy you save during a day as well. Just takes a lot of practice.

·
Premium Member
3,987 Posts
It sounds like you may not have balanced tackle; rod, reel & line ideal for making making longer casts. There is also skill involved to making a longer cast...accurately!
A 60 yard cast with a T-rigged soft plastic worm could be a slight exaggeration...maybe 40 yards (120 feet). Best way to know how far you are casting is go to your local football field and try casting using the yard lines for accuracy. You can also mark the line at 30 yards, 40 yards, 50 yards with a Sharpie pen; a 1/2" black length of line is easy to see; 1 mark for 30, 2 for 40 and 3 for 50 yards. 30 yards is 90 feet and you should be able to cast a 1/2 oz weight that far, if not practice until you can.
Tom

·
Premium Member
11,453 Posts
They did test with skeet Reese casting,using several different combos of rods reels, and line. Throwing deep diving cranks, the longest cast he could get, with the wind was 56 yards. That's a long way when you see it measured off. It may look like its a long way on the water, but when you put the tape on it, it's not as far as you think. :D

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
That's not saying much about skeets stuff. I have archery ranges out back and will say with all cetainty that 50 yards for a cranking setup is not hard. I can just about cast the line off a spool with a 5xd. And easily chunk a unweighted 5" senko 30 to 35 yards

·
Premium Member
11,453 Posts
Actually, he is one of the highest rated casters on the elites. Even KVD says anything over 65, is extremely hard and conditions have to be perfect.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
oldschool said:
It sounds like you may not have balanced tackle; rod, reel & line ideal for making making longer casts. There is also skill involved to making a longer cast...accurately!
A 60 yard cast with a T-rigged soft plastic worm could be a slight exaggeration...maybe 40 yards (120 feet). Best way to know how far you are casting is go to your local football field and try casting using the yard lines for accuracy. You can also mark the line at 30 yards, 40 yards, 50 yards with a Sharpie pen; a 1/2" black length of line is easy to see; 1 mark for 30, 2 for 40 and 3 for 50 yards. 30 yards is 90 feet and you should be able to cast a 1/2 oz weight that far, if not practice until you can.
Tom
I say 60 yards because he was able to cast well past a wind breaker, which is at an accurate 50 yards from the shoreline. All of my rod, reel and lines are technique specific. Don't get me wrong, I can cast a pretty good ways out from me, just not as far as I've seen this guy throw. Thanks anyways guys.

·
Premium Member
3,987 Posts
Angler-Hi said:
oldschool said:
Tom
I say 60 yards because he was able to cast well past a wind breaker, which is at an accurate 50 yards from the shoreline. All of my rod, reel and lines are technique specific. Don't get me wrong, I can cast a pretty good ways out from me, just not as far as I've seen this guy throw. Thanks anyways guys.
Try the football field, yard lines don't move.
Casting distance is affected a great deal by the aerodynamics of the lure, the weight and the drag on the line as it goes through the rod guides. Longer rods help increase velocity, but the lure needs to be heavy and wind resistant to attain longer casting distance.
I often make long cast when horizontal jig fishing and have highly tuned tackle to achieve longer casts. Lighter line weight like 10 lb mono or FC will cast further than 12 lb for example.
At the end of the day may be 1% of the bass anglers can cast further than 50 yards using standard bass tackle.
Tom

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll do that Tom, thanks. Once I cast on a football field, I'll have a good feed on what that other guy was casting. I've been fishing for years and never seen a cast like that before...that's why I was amazed and questioning the possibilty.

·
Premium Member
4,943 Posts
As Tom said, every thing must balance well, rod, reel, line and bait. It took KVD a long time to have the equipment he uses to cast that far. Also, as Tom said, it takes pratice, pratice, pratice.
Rodney
PS Did I mention that it takes pratice?

·
Premium Member
6,888 Posts
Angler-Hi said:
Ok folks...I was out a few days ago and ran into a gentlemen fishing some of the same techniques as myself. He went to cast (using a baitcaster) and just launched it a good 60 yards! Never seen that before. He did it on two different reels. One of those reels looked like an old trolling reel. The other was your typical low profile. What got me the most, was that he was using a T-rig soft plastic with a 1/4oz bullet weight!! He threw that thing like I've never seen, lol. I couldn't that far with a 3/4oz lipless crank...and I can cast that thing like you wouldn't believe.

So what's the secret to getting those super long casts like that!? If I could do it, I would always tear into those fish. The always seem to be just out of reach when shore fishing. I'm using 8-10lb test line and I have my main brake to where the bait will free fall when I hit the release. Is it my other brake? Does it have to be in free mode?? Any and all help or advice will be really appreciated. Thanks folks.

Mike
Mike sounds like he's had the reels worked on (super Tuned) I have a few that have had that done and they will cast like that! Plus it always helps to have balanced tackle! :thumbup01: :thumbup01: :thumbup01:

·
Registered
612 Posts
He was casting from the shore. He had to be at least couple of feet above the water level, that may help, as the distance a lure travels depends on when it falls into the water. A factor a lot of folks don't take into effect is the loading effect of the rod. A good 7 foot rod with a fast action will aid in loading up and propelling the lure when it unloads. An awful lot of bass fishermen want to cross their eyes and rip into the basses' lips and use very stiff rods. Personally, I'd rather fish with a fast tip rod, it's easier on my 70 year old wrists, and a lot more fun.

·
Premium Member
945 Posts
I had a friend in my club tune my reels. He didn't need to do much and wow they cast 60-80 yards no problem. It was pretty amazing. He told me he wants my setups now lol.

·
Premium Member
4,943 Posts
If you are not sure about cleaning or modifying I would strongly recommend sendingsending your rells to Kevin at Pro-Reel, while I'm very capable of doing my own work and do, I've sent several for his handiwork, I wasn't disappointed at all. It's true, you do have to balance your equipment, but add in a super tune, even on a high end reel, and you will be amazed at the difference. For the price that Kevin charges you can't beat the service or quality.
Rodney

·
Premium Member
6,888 Posts
Oldfart9999 said:
If you are not sure about cleaning or modifying I would strongly recommend sendingsending your rells to Kevin at Pro-Reel, while I'm very capable of doing my own work and do, I've sent several for his handiwork, I wasn't disappointed at all. It's true, you do have to balance your equipment, but add in a super tune, even on a high end reel, and you will be amazed at the difference. For the price that Kevin charges you can't beat the service or quality.
Rodney
Rodney, well said he does awesome work! I wouldn't send mine anywhere else! :thumbup01: :thumbup01:

·
Premium Member
945 Posts
Oldfart9999 said:
Rodney
absolutely. While I can do minor things I will eventually be sending all my reels to pro reel.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts