Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like to use the heaviest line I can get away with on my zara super spook and heavy line has a tendency to sink and cause the bait to nose down when you are trying to walk it. I put some carmex lip balm on my line about a foot up from the bait to float the line and make the bait preform better.

·
Premium Member
13,633 Posts
Thats a cool tip Drew. I use to dead stick rubber worms when I was younger and I would run vaseline on the first 20 foot of line or so. After doing that, the line would float so much better and it was MUCH easier to see even the slightest tick. I never noticed any less fish because of the smell of the vaseline. I still do this from time to time especialy with all these new superlines that sink so quick.

·
Premium Member
13,633 Posts
It does last quite a while.

If I remember correctly that's actually an old Buck Perry tip.

·
Premium Member
3,225 Posts
I use 17-25# mono for walking a Spook. I can get very long casts with a heavy Spook that flies well. It stretches well, has extra diameter and more resistance to water, so stays afloat, but eventually gets water-logged and begins to sink some. Thin super lines sink and pull the nose under. A way to help keep the nose up is to add a line eye below the stock nose eye, about where the mouth or chin might be. That makes the Spook jump upwards a little more and spit more. Jim

·
Registered
75 Posts
I once read that Charlie Cambell used 14lb test for his zara-spook because it allowed for the right amount of stretch - so that is what I always used

·
Premium Member
3,225 Posts
I started out using 10# to be less visible, but got too many break-offs, so went to 12#, 14#, and stopped getting breaks at 17# until stripers took a liking to my Spooks, requiring 25# mono when they come around. The monsters have not only taken over the main lake, but are in the arms too now, impossible to avoid. Chain pickerel too, some big enough to bite any line, are getting worse. Jim

1 - 8 of 8 Posts