Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,224 Posts
True flippin' doesn't involve spinning line off a spool on a cast, so you don't need a fancy reel with lots of fine bearings. I prefer a low gear work-horse reel with some winch power. The oldest (30 year old) Garcia Ambassador 5000 casting reel I own is my go-to flippin' reel, and it's on a heavy power 7'6" "broomstick" composite no-name rod I had made custom years ago. I don't recommend using an expensive rod for flippin'. I've broken more rods doing that than any other way of fishing. Having a very sensitive rod doesn't help me a bit since I'm usually handing line as part of the flippin' process, using braid pretty often, which is very sensitive line. The bites are seldom soft anyway. I just want a rig that will winch a big bass in through heavy weeds and or sticks.

Jim

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Oldfart9999 said:
Topwater, most any quality reel will do the job, Quatum, Shimano, Daiwa, even, the better BPS reels, ABU, if your flush, Ardent, what do you own now? Thumb bar yes, flipping switch optional.
Oldfart
What he said. Insert favorite reel here is the best I have ever used for flipping and pitching. However I use a older green Curado 100 and I have not had any problem with it.

·
Premium Member
17,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Perry, your right I forgot about this thread lol.

I ended up getting two ( 2 ) 7'H G-Loomis' rods.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I recently got a G-loomis G3 flipping stick. It was a lot of work to get, but i think its going to be worth it. It is an 8 footer, heavy of course. I used it during november to punch through 25 ft deep mats, and my grandpa pulled up a 9 pounder with it. Plus, The G-loomis rods have a lifetime warranty

21 - 26 of 26 Posts