·
Premium Member
13,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lake Weiss fishing reports here please

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
This is just some information on Lake Weiss Located in Cherokee County Alabama at the town of Centre. Weiss is a 53,000 acre lake containing Crappie, Bream, Catfish "Chanel, Blue, Flathead, and white catfish", Striper's, Largemouth Bass, Spotted Bass, Walleye and a few Smallmouth Bass. Weiss is an impoundment built by Alabama Power on the Coosa River. Florida Strain Largemouth were stocked in Weiss in the 1980's and It has been one of the best kept secrets for years. This lake is shallow with a few creeks and rivers flowing into it. Main lake Chanel's are marked with Chanel markers for safe navigation. Stump fields are all over the lake and can be hazardous use caution if you leave the main Chanel and watch your depth finders. Fishermen come from all over to fish for the big slab crappie in the spring. Bass tournaments on the local level are fished regularly all year long. My PB for bass LM 6+ pounds Spotted bass 4 lbs. Blue cat 43 Pounds. Crappie 2 pounds. I would say that if you are in the area stop by and give Lake Weiss a try. I am available at no charge to fish or assist in any way I can to make your stay here a pleasant one.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Well the crappie have started to move into the shallows water temp is now around 52 degrees and that means the bass will be moving up shallow also. Albasser caught 9 yesterday on rattle baits in the Little river area of the lake. 1 to 2.5 lbs Crappie are in 1 to 3 feet of water at this time. The water warming up fast due to the warm nights and days. Looking foward to big bass and some slab crappie. Come join us on Lake Weiss for a day of fishing.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Fished today and caught a few Spotted Bass largest was 2.75 and a few others that were keepers 12" to 14" and a bunch of dinks water temp was from 48 to 54 degrees depending on where we were. all fish were caught shallow 1 to 5 feet of water. Rattle baits in shad colors were the only bait we could get a bite on. Did hook a big one and got it up to the boat only to find I had foul hooked a carp. It put up a good fight and the hooks pulled out at the boat. estamated weight about 4.5 pounds. Tournament on Saturday.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Fished a Tournament yesterday with Albasser and he put a whoompin on me. I was his net man. Water Temp was 50 to 54 Degrees Visibility was 3 to 4 feet and the fish were shallow 1 to 4 feet holding around rocky points and cedar trees. Spinnerbait and rattlebaits were the best lures. I did manage to loose two nice fish one on a nail head rigged worm and one on a Jig. I was fishing out of little River Marina and in the back Albassers boat.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
March 3, 2011
Water temp 53 to 54 degrees
Visability 2 to 5 feet

Put in at Little River Marina this morning and fished up Little River and Wolf Creek. Caught two keeper bass on a Jig and rage claw. Both were on fallen timber.
Caught two keeper Crappie in 5' of water on minnows.
30 mph wind made it a short day. Waves got up to two feet and increasing so I called it a day.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Weiss Lake Bassmasters club fished a tournament yesterday and 8 fishermen brought in over 100 pounds of bass to the scale at weigh-in. As Usual I was in last place better luck next time. Everyone was tight liped on what they were catching their fish on so it goes. I tried about everything caught three on KVD 1.5 and one on a niko rigged worm. next tournament is on Neely Henry the 18th on June.

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
My wife and I went to register my partner and I for the July 4th tourney out of Little River and Marina, and to get me legal for the tournament. While there, I decided to go down to the docks and fish like I used to. I started off fishing for crappies, but had no luck. Then, I switched over to a fluke, and again, had no luck.

I finally decided that a drop-shot would be a good bet. After several casts, I managed to get a 2 lbs. spotted bass, and knocked the rust off that had built up over the last six years. It was great to get that first spot again. It fought like a mad man and didn't give up, until I got her on my thumb.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
November 27th My buddy Mark Pike call me to report on his latest fishing trip on Weiss. He was just a little bit excited about his day on the water. He was out with another of his past fishing partners and they had a great day landing several nice bass. Marks largest was just over 8 pounds and they landed five more in the 4 to 6 pound range. They were fishing shallow using crank baits. I am grounded until I get my trolling moter repaired which should be some time this week. I am up grading to a 24 volt motor. If you get down or up this was give me a holler and well hook up for a day on the water. Tight lines ya'll

·
Registered
117 Posts
This is from 12/19/11.

Got a late start , got to the area around 11.30 . Did not take long to start bringing some cold Spots in . Using a 1/8th oz Shakey head with a 5" finesse worm . Water was 48 and managed 50 before I left . Water was slightly stained . I stayed till 3.15 pm , wishing I had carried some one with me .

I lost track of the number of missed strikes and lost fish . I caught 25 - 30 Spots with the best about 16.5" long . I had a couple that may have been larger that were deep hooked and I did not measure them . Will try and post a couple of pics .

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,453 Posts
Man I love catching spots!!! Great looking fish Al, way to go!!! :thumbup01: :clap: :thumbup01: :clap: :thumbup01:

·
Registered
117 Posts
I got out on Weiss the 31st of Dec with my Tx. partner Coosa Red Eye . We put in at Little River Marina and went up Little River to the rocks . Started catching them Spots right away on Coosa's hand poured Jack Worms . We crew a crowd as boats would come by to see what we were throwing . We easily caught over 50 Spots and I could only guess at the fish we missed . Had a very good day of catching Spots with a buddy !
The water was more dingy than my last trip with visibilaty about 1 to 2 ft .Water temp was about the same 46 - 49 degrees .

Attachments

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Bobby you got to stop giving those bass sore mouths before a tournament. I think you are an better than average fisherman. Angler of the year for Weiss Lake Bassmasters. Congratulations. This year is my turn I hope.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Thanks Joe ! Means a lot coming from the Winner of the Triggerfish competition ! Also want to Thank You for the Triggerfish You gave each of the Members of Weiss Lake Bass Masters at out Club meeting last month .
I hope you have a better year this year ! If I can stay away from the Dr's and the Hospital maybe I will do better still . :thumbup01:

:flag2:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts