Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday me and Team HighTide aka Todd went to Lake Wateree up past Camden, SC. For both of us it was pretty much our first time. I had been there before but only a handful of times and always as a rider. The last time I was there was over 2 years ago. Todd, on the other hand, had never been there.

I met up with Todd at about 5:15 at McDonalds. We loaded up his gear into my boat and away we went. We put in at Clearwater Cove. As we were putting another decent sized tournament of about 30 boats was blasting off.

We took off and started to ride. Todd saw an area he liked as we rode past it so I turned in and we stopped to fish. There were a TON of shad jumping up under the over hanging brush near the shore but we couldnt coax a bite. I spent most of my time at that spot retieing a couple of my rods and hunting for my favorite buzzbait. I really should have done both of those things the night before but I had so much more to do I never got a chance to check my gear before the morning.

While we sat there I was checking out the map and we decided to move up the lake and check out a few of the creeks. I have always known Colonels Creek and Beaver Creek to be good areas so I avoided them in hopes of finding something different. We ended up at an area called Dutchman Creek. I fnally got my first good hit here and on a buzzbait.
I was chugging the buzzbait along when a good fish rolled on it and missed it. The insant he missed it, I stopped cranking for a sec and then started up back up. As soon as it started back he turned back around and nailed it again! What I did next was so stupid!! I set the hook on SIGHT and not on feel! I felt the bait as it pulled free from the fishes mouth! OMG I WAS TICKED! LOL! Stupid stupid me!! LOL! I cast another 1000 times but never another hit on t he buzzbait.

We continued working our way around this area. Finally we ended up in a spot that had reeds, mixed with pickerelweed, stumps and some sort of brush. I saw this mix and switched to a fluke and put my first fish of the day in the boat. I proceeded to miss two more in the same area.

We moved from that area to another area that looked similiar and using the fluke still I put the 2nd keeper in the boat. This one ended up being the biggest of the day at about 2+ or so pounds.

From this point we ran to another area of the lake to check out more water. I believe what we found here was a prime early morning area. We fished the area a while but other than a few bites we boated none.

By this time my buddy informed me he was beginning to feel nauseous. I know what that is like as I had the same problem during my last tournament. Learning of his ill feeling I rode a little more and checked out some other areas. I didnt want to leave the lake without atleast finding a couple nice main lake points and an area that I had once caught big fish off during a tournament a few years back. I suceeded in finding all of that and by 11am I was bringing the boat back to the landing.

Todd did get a couple pix of my fish thogh. I told him before we ever caught a fish that I was bad at remember to take pix and asked if he could take pix of all I caught and I of all he caught. :thumbup01: I just hope my ugly mug didnt break Todd's $800 digital camera LOL!

(yeah I know.. i need a hair cut and a shave lol I actually did get about 8" taken off my hair a couple weeks ago lol I think im just gonna buzz it all off next lol)

Though our time was cut short I still had a good time I am positive had we stayed there longer a lot more fish would have been caught as the day truly had only begun.

I believe i have a good game plan for my tournament this coming weekend. I dont have a specific bait or rig in mind but I do have several nice areas marked on my GPS that should be able to cover any possible situation. :thumbup01:

Tattered Thumbs n Bigguns, Jared

·
Registered
33 Posts
MAN dont try to picture people, nice fish anyway whats in your mouth?????? you kinda look like my brother in law :soda:

·
Premium Member
13,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
in my mouth is a toothpick i was chewing on lol

·
Registered
4 Posts
haha, it was all a great time that we had yesterday out there and was a great learning experince for myself, cause i never fished there before, but i did manage to get alot of good bites but nothing in the boat though.... i think the reason i starting feeling ill yesterday was because of lack of sleep and some personal problems going, but those are taken care of at the moment i belive... the next time we head out, lets either head up the murray or either marion and i show you some spots at those places.. you did manage to crack the lense on my camara with those looks, haha just kidding, the camara is fine, it just was mad cause it wanted to take more pictures than what it did though....

·
Registered
409 Posts
Yah nice looking hat and shirt there buddy! Nice fish as well! I'm glad you all had fun and hope you get to go fishing again soon.

David :thumbup01:

K

·
0 Posts
Looks like you are chewing on a flossing device haha. Nice pictures though.

I hope the Rayburn Red XCalibur is on the menu soon as you are next in line with that thing.

·
Premium Member
13,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
KeithsCatch said:
Looks like you are chewing on a flossing device haha.
thats exactly what it is lol
I keep a bag of them in my boat.

When I quit smoking last year, rather than putting a cigarttee in my mouth or rather than playing with a cigarette between my fingers, I used the "toothpicks". Worked like a charm. :thumbup01:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts