Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the main forage animals of bass is crayfish, and many bass anglers understand it's helpful to have some idea of their colors to aid in choosing lure colors matching that forage. Here's a great site that provides lists of crayfish species by state. http://iz.carnegiemnh.org/index.htm

I'll save you some searching by taking you directly to a map of the US where you can click on your state. http://iz.carnegiemnh.org/crayfish/country_pages/species_by_state.htm Pick a state. Click on each species. Some have photos. For those that don't try copy/pasting the species into a Google search. When you find a photo print it or save it on the computer.

Jim

·
Premium Member
13,631 Posts
great find Jim! Thank you for sharing! :clap:

·
Premium Member
3,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:tongue2: Ya'll must have slammed their server! It's DOWN. I was all over it last night making sure it was still a valid working site, had no problems. Go back soon as they usually keep it up to date. Be sure to click on the "Off Site" links on the homepage. That site will get you to the best crayfish information I know of on the internet. The more you learn about them, the better bass angler you will become. A little tidbit. To capture them, go in early dark of night and shine a flashlight into very shallow water, especially where there's lots of vegetation in the water or rolled up on shore from waves. Their eyes reflect ruby red. Use a small net to capture. Study it in good light, photograph it or just note the colors by pulling skirt strands that match, then put the animal back where you found it the next night.

Jim

·
Premium Member
17,927 Posts
Site must be working now. I checked out a few in Florida, Keith. ( I am getting redirected though )

·
Premium Member
3,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd guess they are switching to another server. I've got in my Bookmarks and refer to it a lot.

Jim

·
Premium Member
4,943 Posts
Great site, thanks Jim!! I took a closer look just now & I have just 1 question. What does lotic & lentic mean?
Rodney

1 - 7 of 7 Posts