Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner

Knot Wars? Don't Rely on These Tests.

5K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  Highcentered 
#1 ·
I have been speaking about this to many people ever since the Classic when Aaron Martens made some good points about these tests.

Aaron's point is basically that these tests are bunk. The reason being is that these tests tie a knot and then slowly and gradually apply more and more pressure to the line until one breaks. Aaron then went on to make a lot of sense making the point that when we, anglers, are on the water, we generally dont just apply gradual pressure to set our hooks. When we set our hooks we slam it home. There is no pressure then suddenly there is maximum pressure on our line and knot. Gradual increasing pressure is hardly ever what an angler has to worry about. It is that sudden SHOCK of pressure that our knots and line undergo that we need to be concerned with.

I have since spoken about this with many other people including many pros and most agree and feel the same way. The Knot Wars are fun to watch but really have no real world application. Many knots that seem to hold up nicely on that gradually increasing pressure will fail when a sudden shock or maximum pressure is SLAMMED home on them.

#2 ·
I agree Jared. I always wondered why there was no "shock" test involved. I mean, it would not be too hard to measure the swing/pressure applied when 20 anglers set the hook right? Why not take the average and then test knots based on that, give them 10, or 20 or so shocks and see what happens. I stand by the 4 knots i tie. They hold up well, and generally any failure is on my part not theirs.

Brandon

#3 ·
I agree Brandon. I would like to come up with some way to try to test shock strength of knots. I don't believe I will have the ability to give a poundage but if I can find a few standards to test them all against, it may prove to be useful tests.

#4 ·
Jared, i think it would involve taking 1 rod, 1 reel, and 1 set of line...such as 50lb Power Pro and then some sort scale that will measure the highest rated pressure. You would then need to pass the rod around to 20 other anglers who would take a minimum of 7 swings with it and then average them out. then you would take the average of, well, the average. I say 20 because i picked a random number. Obviously you want a reasonable number of people, most of whom crush a hook set.
I would do this on a short line *less than 10-15 yards* but a reasonably full spool. The reason for the short line is because it would generate maximum force in a plausible fishing distance.
Yes, i have thought about this before.

Brandon

#5 ·
I have line break before the knot gives, for those exact reasons...Take a length of line and slowly start applying pressure...Many times you can't hardly break it...
But then take the same line, allow some slack in it and then "pop" it and watch it snap...
In my opinion there's many knots that will hold up just fine when tied properly...I use the one(s) that are easiest and most comfortable for me to tie when out on the water...A "good knot" that takes me 4 times as long to tie, or wastes 3 times as much line, serves no purpose for me...

#6 ·
CaptainMo said:
A "good knot" that takes me 4 times as long to tie, or wastes 3 times as much line, serves no purpose for me...
I couldn't agree any more with you Mo! Exactly.

That is what has made me take a liking to the Miller knot so much lately. It is SO easy and so far it's as strong as any knot I have ever tied with fluorocarbon.

#8 ·
That would work really good Jared, if you could get your hands on a dynometer it would record the weight at the point the line broke. Just have to set it up to drop the weight from the same height on the same length of line. We use that same theory to check the breaking strength of some of our rope rescue gear.

I have to agree with everyone else, that im more concerned with ease of tying, when it comes to knots, I have had very few failures in the knot itself, its usually the line that fails me.

#12 ·
The only knots that failed on me were braid (before I learned how to tied it up) and on fluorocarbon (before I gave up on it completely.) Since then, I have had line break before knots failed (ala Morgan.)

Fascinating thread and a great line of reasoning. I think this underscores why the quality of the line is so very important.

#13 ·
I never much stock in these tests. Gradual pressure has no business in bass fishing. Once you feel the fish, most of us swing for the fences.

I keep my knots simple. Whatever you choose to use, practice it. And check the knot each time you tie one onto a hook or lure. An improperly tied knot is guaranteed to fail at the worst possible moment.

#15 ·
I want to learn knots that are 1. Easy to tie and 2. work with all types of line. I don't want an arsenal of knots that only work with 1 technique or 1 lure or 1 type of line.

I also don't want special tools to tie a knot or a knot that takes 10x as long to tie. If it is overly complicated then :cussin: that!

#17 ·
SBJ1982 said:
I want to learn knots that are 1. Easy to tie and 2. work with all types of line. I don't want an arsenal of knots that only work with 1 technique or 1 lure or 1 type of line.

I also don't want special tools to tie a knot or a knot that takes 10x as long to tie. If it is overly complicated then :cussin: that!

Excellent way of putting it and I argee 100%

#18 ·
Rig you up a test rig on your desk. Take your line and tie one knot at the top of the desk. Tie the same or another knot to a 5lb weight. Push weight off the edge. There is some give tho when you set the hook. The rod loads up. Then pressure is moved over the line guides. IF you have your drag set, there is some more give there. When my knot breaks I take the blame. Forgetting to wet the line or missing a couple wraps on a clinch knot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.