Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im curious how often everyone here changes there line ....

Myself I change maybe 3 times a season ....
I dont fish toruneys ... if I did I might change it more ....

You can post a reply to if you wish

thanks for taking a look

·
Registered
921 Posts
Wow what a great question.. I never have to change mine, but the people that let me go fishing with them get a chance to change theres quite often, I just don't get why people never ask me to go with them a second time. I just always keep hearing people complain about those darn birds nest everytime i pick up a pole. Heck I don't get it. :dunno:

·
Premium Member
17,927 Posts
I use to change lines like I was changing my clothes lol.

Nowadays I change it when it shows wear or when it gets to short.

G

·
Several of my reels are spooled with braid and I rarely change braid. I change it when it starts to run low :) As far as the other reels I use mono or Flouro and I guess I change them out every month or so or when I start to see wear which is what I chose.

·
Premium Member
13,631 Posts
StayNCharge said:
Wow what a great question.. I never have to change mine, but the people that let me go fishing with them get a chance to change theres quite often, I just don't get why people never ask me to go with them a second time. I just always keep hearing people complain about those darn birds nest everytime i pick up a pole. Heck I don't get it. :dunno:
:rofl1: :rofl1:

·
Premium Member
13,631 Posts
My braids I dont change at all... once a year and thats it really. My flouro and mono... I probably should change a lot more than I do. I use to be terrible about it and even worse about checking for nicks or abrasions... until I lost some good fish... now I cut and retie pretty often so when my line gets low on my spool, I strip and respool. It could be once a month, it could be once a week, it could be once every few months. It really depends on how often I am retieing and using a certain rod.
If I had the money, I'd respool before every tournament or big fishing trip... but alas.. Im just a poor bloke lol

·
Premium Member
3,224 Posts
I don't change braid out either until it's too short. But all other lines get replaced as soon as any problem at all shows up, and at least once a month even if it seems fine. I've cut way down on senseless lost fish incidents due to line breaking. I just can't hardly handle that like I used to. The way I look at it is every time the line peels off a reel spool and wound back on it's going through a lot of flexing. Any flexing of anything but muscle is wear and tear. Another thing. I started marking a bird's next at the back side to experiment about whether once that happens it will happen at that place again. It does. A bird's nest with one kink hexes the line permanently. Once the line (non-braid) is kinked it will snap there. Any damage done to the line there from picking loops out adds to the jinx. I'm determined to cut it all back to the back side of the nest or, if that takes too much off, replace all of it. I've also cut back on mindless adjusting/casting which is at the root of nests. That's all partly why I've settled on Yo-Zuri Hybrid, which has the best of the mono/fluoro world and it's fairly cheap.

Jim

·
Registered
62 Posts
I am just the run of the mill, blue collar angler. However, the line is a critical component of fishing, and if the line is worn out, then it's time to change it. When my line shows wear, I will change it out. The best way I guage if my line is wore out is if it has a lot of memory. I use mono more times than not, and although products like Reel Magic (in my opinion) can make line last a little longer, if it has a lot of memory, it's going to get replaced. Also, if I am fishing a lot of gnarly areas, and I find wear 20-30 ft. down into the line, I will change the line out.

You may ask, why not just take off the line until the wear is gone? While that is an option, I am used to having a full spool of line, and I find that it's hard to control the spool when it's not full. It's a 100% comfort thing.

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
I voted for once a year BUT, i guess the more i think about it they all get new line a couple time every year. mostly due to lose of line and like to have a full spool.
rich

·
Registered
251 Posts
I dont change my line too often, because I use a fly fishing conditioner on it, and it helps clean the line and ensure its strength. I only change it alot if I am fishing really junky water with alot of tangles, snags, ect.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
I got into the bad habit of changing my too often I have broke too many off before and now I will be safer than sorry.least I cannot blame it on my line just me

·
Premium Member
3,987 Posts
I retie whenever I feel a nick in the line and check for nicks nearly every retrieve by running the line between my fingers and looking closely at the lure for any debris and to check the knot. Anal, you bet. I also retie after each bass if I suspect the line may have been stretched or weakened.
I respool mono and fluoro or fluoro-hybrids on each rod that I use about 6 hours or at the end of each trip if I used the rod often.
Braid will last years if taken care of and stored in a cool dark place.
Remember the line is what connects you to your fish. Changed it often, it's not expensive. Getting to the lake and fishing is your big expense in time and money, don't loose bass because of line failures.
Tom

·
Premium Member
3,224 Posts
I'd forgotten about line stretch. A few years ago I read a study on line wear. They used a machine to measure pounds of stretch, stretching different lengths to different pounds right up to and past rated test. The main thing I got from that was it doesn't take much stretching of mono to fatigue it for a guaranteed break on a sudden load. Fluoro line stretches less but it does stretch and will fatigue. Even a remote chance for the bass of a lifetime won't let me keep using well used line. I carry 7-9 rods and switch often depending on what I need at the time, so it takes several trips to put 8 hours of use on any one line. I just take some time each month to clean, lube and respool, check guides, make repairs. I got in that habit because of having to be certain clients in long past guiding years demanded excellence in equipment, i.e., no failures, even backlashes. Braid is nearly permanent compared to all other types, all others very temporary disposable items. I was gonna tell a joke about extreme economy with toilet paper but that might offend someone :cool2: Line isn't the thing to skimp on unless mostly what your fishery delivers are dinks. I think you need even more superior line for big bream than for bass, for that matter.

A way to save money on line is to stop using those 250 yard spools. Go for bulk in pounds of your favorite line if you can find it. Yeah, you might have to take a paycheck to Cash Now to do it, but you'll save a lot of money. There's virtually no waste, no left over 20 yards you can't use on anything but leaders. 10 250 yard spools can waste a total 250 yards, amounting to a whole spool tossed out. You'll waste a few yards on a bulk spool, but you will also pay less per yard in bulk, sometimes nearly half price.

Jim

·
Registered
41 Posts
I change my fluoro just about every tournament depending on fishing conditions and how I am going to fish. I re-tie often when fishing cover and feel the line getting scared up. As for braid I may chaange twice a year.

G

·
Good tip Jim about the bulk spool thing. I always have left over line with those smaller spools. Some are only 150 yard spools.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I too respool based on memory. For example, I can get two - three months out of my mono, and fluorocarbon under 20 lbs. One thing I never do on any of my reels is strip all the line off. I only take a half spool off and tie blood knots on all my lines. I only buy lines by the 1000 yds. I hate wasted line.

-Joe

·
Banned
539 Posts
I agree line condition and previous use and abuse will guage the right time to replace. I also have on occasions pulled line that equals about two or three good casts, and tied new line on w/o replacing the entire spool.

Not the best method but it can be used to help on low spools and you can put it on top of braid for a quick application change w/o removing all the braid.

·
Premium Member
3,987 Posts
3 conditions kill mono and fluro/mono hybrids;
heat, temperature 105 degrees F
stretch that reduces the lines diameter
sun light UV rays
You can't see any of those major line weakening conditions. You can store you line in a cool dark place to help reduce 2 factors or not use the line and eliminate the stretch factor.
The obvious things like abrasion from use you can see, but abrasion will weaken new line. The heat and UV factors could have occurred before you purchased your line depending on the date code and where the line was displayed or stored. Line is inexpensive, change it often.
Tom

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I guess I need to look, but Tom, where is the date code? I keep my rods in the house as well as all my tackle and extras.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts