Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1998 - 2001 ( cant remember the year ) 2 stroke johnson 50 HP

This past Saturday while fishing, I began to have starter problems. The starter didnt want to engage everytime. ( Think I know the solution there.. Bendex )

Then, I had another problem come up. I couldnt get but maybe 3500 rpms @ wot.
To me the motor sounded fine. I wasnt hearing any kind of wierd noises. Somehow I convinced myself I must of got a ton of water in the boat and it wouldnt operate right.

Yesterday afternoon I took off to a local lake ( making sure I had all the water out of the boat ) I take off and still could only manage 3500 rpms @ wot ( again motor was sounding fine to me ) After maybe 5 - 8 minutes of putting around @ 3500 rpms, it finally shot up to 5500 rpms and allowed me to get on plane ( acting normal now )

Not sure if I had something in the carb or what ( as it sounded normal to me ) I do plan on changing the fuel filter before I go out again.

·
Registered
94 Posts
there are a lot of things that can cause this
1-fuel line sucking together
2- something in high speed jet in carb
3-fuel bulb bad
4- coil weak
5- dirty plug
6- power pack going bad
7- bad battery connection , corroded terminals , weak cell
8- fuel filter clogged
9- bad fuel pump diaghragm
just to name a few

·
Registered
815 Posts
Better take it in to have it checked. Your problem might be causing a cylinder to run lean and that could lead to a blown powerhead. I think it's a coil going bad personally judging by how you say it's acting.

·
Premium Member
16,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks yall

I did forget two things. After it first happened and I got home. I hooked the water muffs up to it and was able to get 5500 rpms with it in gear.

Also if I had it reving without blade ingauged it would go to 5500 rpms ( forget what its called, but where you can use the throttle without going into gear )

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.