Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read tons of information about lipless crankbaits; shallow, medium, and deep diving crankbaits. What I don't read much about of are jerkbaits?

Why?

Are they not as good?

If yall do use them, then when would you throw them? What brand and size do you prefer?

·
Premium Member
13,631 Posts
Re: Jerkbaits??

Honestly, and I may get flamed for saying this (be gentle tho please hehe), but I believe we hear less about jerkbaits, than the other baits you mentioned, from your everyday angler because they take more effort to work and are, in my opinion, more of a "finesse" bait (not always in the literal sense) than your typical crankbaits. I know successful crankbait anglers rarely ever wind their baits straight back in and do impart some action, be it a pause or a rip. However, jerkbaits, for the most part, require alot more input from the angler. I feel that jerkbaits are quite under-rated and not used as often, or by as many anglers, as they should be.

:rapmin:
Tattered Thumbs n Biggun, Jared

·
Registered
419 Posts

Jared, you hit the nail on the head. I have had jerk baits in the tackle box for several years and never threw them. I never was sure exactly how to fish them. On a trip two years ago, I couldn't get a bite if I paid the fish, and decided that since I had nothing to loose, I'd try a suspending jerk bait. I caught a few fish and continued to practice with them and experiment in various areas around the lake and found that the more I used them, the more productive they became. They are still not my go to lure, but they dont just rot in the botton of the tackle box either. The shallow jerk baits can be especially effective in the early morning hours of the dog days when trying to catch feeding bass off the banks and around stumps before they move back out to their deeper holes. Sometimes they can be more productive than a buzz bait or topwater in those situations.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts

I am not an efficiano however I have had some success with them. My best application for them is during the winter when the shad are dieing off. The jerk bait requires a rhythm to get the cadence that the fish are looking for. Sometimes you figure it out quick and sometimes not ever. It will most definitely wear you down until you get in jerk bait shape. I feel this bait could be used all year long but I have no experience doing it yet. Colors seem to be my biggest mystery. Colors that look like they match the hatch doesn't always work and on my lake what worked last year won't necessarily work this year. I like the natural shad colors myself but I have lots of friends who are fond of the clown colors and silverchrome. I hope this helps you out a little. Stick with them you will unlock the secret to why they are so popular. peace out. Drew

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Jerkbaits certainly do have their place in my arsenal. These are best for me at least in late winter or early spring. Colors I like the best are gold with black backs with orange bellies. Favorite brand still are Smithwick Rogues.

My homemade bait is a rather large 6" version of this and so far has boated me 10 bass. On that lure I have found believe it or not a steady slow retrieve to be the best producer. I have caught bass on it twitching it in but a steady slow retrieve on my homemade lure seems to be the ticket. It has a tremendous wiggle and slight sideways tilt to it when it comes in. That is tanntalizing action.

I will be making another one soon as I enjoy fooling bass on my own creations.

·
Premium Member
3,987 Posts

Jerk baits are a very good post spawn presentation, see "post spawn".
I started using a lure made by Heddon over 25 years age called a Wooden Cobra, similar to the original floating Rapala. The lime green/silver flash and red head/silver minnow worked great "ripped". Today we call "ripping" the jerk bait presentation.
When the first Japanese Diawa minnows came out in the late 80's with those extremely sharp hooks, they were increadbile. The Smithwick Rogues work OK but not as good as the Daiwa's & LC's. Today I use mostly LC Pointers 78's and 110's in ghost minnow color.
For me the key is to crank them down 3 to 4 ' stop and then start the rhythmic 6" jerk, jerk, jerk reel and repeat retrieve. I use 8 to 10 lb floating mono line like Big Game. a medium very fast action 6' 3' rod.
Tom

·
Premium Member
787 Posts

Up hear in illinois that isusally the first crankbait we pull out especially for the smallmouth in the rivers we use alot of the X-raps and this year will be the first year I buy nd use te pointers LC (i know I am a cheap ass but I throw crankbaits where others throw jigs I lose alot)And more than ot they hit on the pause

·
Registered
89 Posts

This past wkend my dad and I went caught 23 21 blacks and two pickerel.
Most all of them were caught on a jerk bait. I hate to admit but after that I went and bought two more lucky craft pointer Sp. My dad bout fell out of the boat when I told him how much I paid for that bait but living proof is he caught 7 blacks one pickerel. he was using a rogue. He couldn't compete with LC lure. I caught the rest of the fish. If this works it shows my 6lb and 4lb I caught back to back. If I have to spend more to actually catch more it was well worth the money!!!!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,631 Posts

arbass said:
If I have to spend more to actually catch more it was well worth the money!!!!!
no doubt at all! I have heard A LOT of good (ALL GOOD) about the LC Pointers.

Nice fish! Back to back casts? Thats just awesome man! Gratz! :thumbup01:

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
i caught my first jerkbait fish of the year yesterday and was just wondering
what is everyones favorite setup for using hard jerkbaits?
rod, reel, line
the unlucky cold water fish fell to a small LC jerkbait in about 6 ft of water.

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
the only drawback i have found is that it sinks so the topwater baits don't work as well or at all with the line pulling the front of the bait down.
i have flouro on almost all rods just havn't been brave enough to try it on spining tackle yet
rich

·
Registered
98 Posts
Cold water early in the year where I live is usually clear in the lakes we fish so,Fluoro definitely . 8 to 10 lb.- 7ft.med.heavy graphite rod with fast tip and I use all high speed reels. Also a LC Pointer 78 is a must.

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
i can't remember exactly what pointer it is but its only like 3.5 inches long and that was the first bass from that body of water this year for me.
i used seagar flouro but wasn't sure if the mono was better or not as i havn't fished much with jerkbaits.

·
Premium Member
3,987 Posts
Using too long of a rod can be a problem with jerk baits, you are trying to make 4" to 6" lure movements most of the time and longer rods tend to move the lure about 10" to 12". 6'3"medium/very fast action rod is ideal, a 6'6" med/fast works OK. I would avoid 100% fluorocarbon line for jerk baits and use mono or fluoro-hybrids. You don't need feel for this presentation, you need a very good casting line because you make a lot of casts quickly. Fluorocarbon lines cast poorly because they do not hold water, have high tensile memory and tend to spring off the reel. Any rod, reel and line may work, just not as well.
Tom

1 - 20 of 34 Posts