Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about going to look at a 2006 Nitro NX 898 with a 200 HP Optimax. It has a little over 200 hours on the main motor and the compression is within the factory guidlines. I like it because I generally fish alone and the front deck looks huge, so plenty of room for me.

I comes with a trailer, but has no fish Finders or Flasher on it, but looks in pretty decent shape besides a few small scratches on the bow.. It has no carpeting so it's easier to clean and has 3 new batteries.

My questions are is it really worth their asking price of $12,900?
What electronics would you add to the boat seing I mostly fish one lake that is no deeper than 32 Feet and is only 200 acres with limited structure?

What other options would you add to the boat?

Thnx

·
Premium Member
4,943 Posts
As far as the price, it seems reasonable, you need to check it out. For electronics, the best you can afford, I would hope to be able to put 2 Lowrance HDS units with Strutucre Scan, a good tm, & a Power Pole or Talon. I have a buddy who has a 2001 Nitro 882 with a 150 Opti, on it, the rig has less than 200 hours on it, he is absolutely anal about the way he takes care of it, it is garaged ALL year, no dings or scratchs, he 14,000, I know the boat and the owner & I would pay it if I had the money.
Rodney

·
Premium Member
13,631 Posts
I'd say its worth the money for sure, IF the motor is in great running condition. As far as electronics... Id get one of the new Lowrance HD7's for the console and up front, if you can afford, I'd put the same thing.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
I would say it is worth it for sure. The 898s were a great hull for nitro. Not sure but I think they are rated for a 225. Might try to find out how it performs with a 200. I had a 2003 901 with a 200hp that I sold in 09 or 2010 for $13500 if that gives you any comparison. Best thing to do is search for the same boat and motor combo for sale on the internet and see what others' similar rigs are going for. I remember looking at the non carpeted 898s too. They are a cool concept. just like you can do with the offshore boats. just didn't take off in the bassboat market. you could actually order snap in carpet as an option from the factory. Like other said and with buying any used boat is look it over with a fine toothed comb and demand the engine be checked by a certified mechanic at the very least. I would take it for a test ride if at all possible too. Look for stress cracks in the areas of the transom and stress points. put pressure on the motor and observe if cracks for flexing. if there is any, run away. if not, they are probably cosmetic (if there at all) look underneath for any signs of chips or gouges. anything that is down to the glass and exposed to water is at risk for delamination. Just don't get caught up in the excitement of getting a rig and don't be rushed. take your time and be smart and look over every inch. If it checks out, I am sure it is a sweet boat. Also check the trailer for rust. The tube style trailers can have this issue in the cross memebers.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I bought a clean Nitro that was 2 years old and was just a demo. Moral of the story it turned into a nightmare and the best thing I ever did was go buy my Ranger new. Sure the monthly payments suck in the winter, but I know every stump that boat has hit and I know how the motor has been maintained.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
ace45102 said:
I bought a clean Nitro that was 2 years old and was just a demo. Moral of the story it turned into a nightmare and the best thing I ever did was go buy my Ranger new. Sure the monthly payments suck in the winter, but I know every stump that boat has hit and I know how the motor has been maintained.
In all fairness that can happen with ANY make or model boat. Has nothing to do with the fact it was a Nitro. I/family have had a Nitro since they started in 1992 and never had any issues that were Nitro related. Been great for years.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Beer980 said:
It seems like a good deal but it is way too much boat for that lake I think. 200 acres is about 1/2 mile square. Hardly worth firing up that 200. With that said, I would get as much side/down scan as you can afford and a Hydrowave.
You get a big boat for a more solid platform to fish off of. I've fished out of flatbottoms. IT SUCKS! Once you get used to a bigger glass boat you'll never go back to a smaller rig unless the lake absolutely requires a smaller rig. In my 19' Charger three fat boys totaling 800lbs can move around in there and even all stand on one side and it barely deviate. Try to do that in a little flatbottom and prepare to go swimming.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.