Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been crazy busy packing but when I have been fortunate to have cooler temp mornings, I have been out at my boat installing my HDS7 Gen2 with Structure Scan at my console.

I got the unit and the Structure Scan transducer installed last week and this morning I was able to get it all networked to my LMS520 (which I now moved to the bow). I have both units sharing the HDS7's internal GPS antenna. I wasn't sure how this would work but when I powered it all up, voila, it worked perfectly!

Now all I have left to do is to attach the 2D Transducer to my 520 and strap it to my trolling motor and to epoxy my HDS7's 2d transducer into my bilge area of my hull. After that it's just a matter of tidying up my wiring!

Cannot wait to get on the lake and play! :D

Would love to hear the advice of everyone who has ever installed through the hull transducers.

·
Premium Member
6,888 Posts
Good luck w/the install! Only thing I've ever heard is make sure there are no bubbles!!! ;) ;) ;) ;)

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Jared when I install them I like to be sure that there are no voids in the fiberglass so I take a Dremel with a grinding head and grind down several layers to good clean hard glass. Most guys I know won't go to that extreme and just give the area a good sanding.

Lowrance has a pretty good tutorial on installing 2d transducers. Give it a look.

Good luck to you. It really isn't hard to do.

BTW: If you choose the correct xducer in your installation setup and still have problems holding the bottom at speed then crank up the ping to 19.

G

·
Glassed in transducers are nice due to you do not have to worry about knocking them around and breaking them in stumps. My boat came with glassed in transducers but when I moved my HDS -5 to the bow I mounted the transducer on the trolling motor. And if the transducer for my console HDS ever goes out it will also be mounted outside the hull. You will hear a lot of arguments for mounting them to shoot through the hull but in my experience they work better mounted outside the hull. You’re going to really like the structure map overlay on the Gen-2.

·
Premium Member
3,987 Posts
TxMrbass said:
Glassed in transducers are nice due to you do not have to worry about knocking them around and breaking them in stumps. My boat came with glassed in transducers but when I moved my HDS -5 to the bow I mounted the transducer on the trolling motor. And if the transducer for my console HDS ever goes out it will also be mounted outside the hull. You will hear a lot of arguments for mounting them to shoot through the hull but in my experience they work better mounted outside the hull. You’re going to really like the structure map overlay on the Gen-2.
Agree, you loose a little detail shooting thru the hull, like thermocline clarity. However you don't fish with the console unit and shooting thru the hull works a lot better at planning speeds. If you go to down/side scan, then you must mount outside on the transom.
Jared you will soon be surveying deep structured lakes again, no alligators. Good luck to you!
Tom

·
Premium Member
13,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you Tom :D Yes no gators! Yay! I will be using my boat a lot but I also plan on being waste/chest deep fishing again too :D My underwater cams will finally get the work out I always imagined they would when I first bought them.

I mounted my sidescan transducer on the step of my hull right above where my drain plug is so it's somewhat protected. I screwed it right to the hull, dead center.

·
Premium Member
11,453 Posts
Your going to love the new features of the Gen II Lowrance and the new range of the sidescan Jared. I am so jealous!!! Good Luck Buddy!! :thumbup01: :clap: :thumbup01: :clap: :thumbup01:

·
Premium Member
6,888 Posts
Your going to be a happy camper up there Jared! :thumbup01: :thumbup01:

·
Premium Member
13,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys! Yes I can't wait to get on the water up north! Matt, you and I need to get together for sure. Its been 20 years since I've been Fishong in the Poconos but I am planning on spending enough time fishing in PA that I intend to buy a year nonresident :)
I'm just hoping I can get the boat all set so I can get some fishing in down here before I move.

·
Premium Member
3,987 Posts
Jared said:
Thanks guys! Yes I can't wait to get on the water up north! Matt, you and I need to get together for sure. Its been 20 years since I've been Fishong in the Poconos but I am planning on spending enough time fishing in PA that I intend to buy a year nonresident :)
I'm just hoping I can get the boat all set so I can get some fishing in down here before I move.
Remember to use stainless steel screws and coat the screw threads with 3M5200 marine sealant to prevent any loosening , water getting into the holes and eliminate corrosion.
Revisit the finesse presentation thread and get yourself some of Bo's 3/8 oz jigs for the deep rocky structure lakes. Jig fishing is a lot more fun when you are not losing them in the rocks. Good luck Jared, you deserve more time on the water.
Tom
PS; remember to stop and fish once in awhile, sonar screens can be distracting!

·
Premium Member
4,943 Posts
You'll have a lot of great fishing water within range when you make the move Jared. You may want to stock up on chips for the Structure Scan, you will be amazed at what it's capable of. Maybe next year we could get together on Onieda.
Rodney

·
Premium Member
13,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That would be great Rodney. Oneida will not be too far from me. :tu

I didn't use marine sealant Tom but I did use silicone in all the screw holes. I have the transducer screwed in very securely from what I can tell.

Today I dried the bilge area, sanded and grinded the area well then glued my 2d transducer in. In the past I have always used epoxy which has a 1500psi rating but tonight I decided to try this new version of JB Weld that is made for marine applications as well and had a rating of 3900psi. I think I have that puck firmly glued in there now. :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.