Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner

Inhaled hooks

5K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  derekkrupp 
#1 ·
How do you remove a barbed hook from a fish who has inhaled it? I have been using needle nose pliers and i try really hard not to cause any further damage but sometimes they just inhale so deep i have a hard time. I gently push the hook down a tiny bit farther to be able to twist the hook back out .. Just not sure if there is a better way.

Thanks
Jenni

#2 ·
There is a very easy way to remove deep hooks. It involves gently reaching through the gills and turning the hook over. Then all you have holding is the barb. Just a slight move and it pops right out. Lots of people are afraid of this method but the bass' gills are a lot tougher than you might think. It way beats ripping out the hook or cutting the line and leaving the hook in the fish.

Here is a link to the method.

http://www.lakesidesmallmouthbassclub.com/hook.html

#3 ·
Jig Man said:
There is a very easy way to remove deep hooks. It involves gently reaching through the gills and turning the hook over. Then all you have holding is the barb. Just a slight move and it pops right out. Lots of people are afraid of this method but the bass' gills are a lot tougher than you might think. Is way beats ripping out the hook or cutting the line and leaving the hook in the fish.

Thank you so much!

#5 ·
I threw a brushHog into some pads the other day and let it sink to the bottom. The line started moving sideways as a Bass grabbed it and took off with it. I hooked it and brought it in only to find that it swallowed the hook pretty good. I am using Gamakatsoo hooks so these sharp buggers really imbedded into his throat. I tried real hard not to hurt him and even tried going through the gill plate. You have to be real careful doing this because that can hurt them just as bad as the hook. Needless to say after trying and trying I got it out but I hurt this poor bass. He was floating around so I picked him up and figured I would offer him to someone at the dock. I hate hurting the fish and really didnt want it to go to waste. No on e was there so I sadly let it go. Much to my surprise an Osprey saw it and swooped down and picked it up. Then an Eagle got in the act and took it off the Osprey. The two of them fought over it and it fell back in the water. Then another Osprey came along and fended off the Eagle as the first one snatched up the Bass and took off. I felt better about the whole situation since nature took it's course.
One thing to think of is you know you are using the right lure when they swallow it deep.

#6 ·
I usually try and pull the hook point through so i can see it, and then clip either the point off or the eye off the shaft (or both) and pull the rest of the hook through, it dosent do too much damage and the fish usually live, i always have plenty of hooks :) . another tip is to pour sprite or mountian dew on a bleeding fish (on the part thats bleeding! lol ) . The citric acid in the soda stops the bleeding pretty quick and they usually live pretty well also.

#8 ·
Jig Man said:
There is a very easy way to remove deep hooks. It involves gently reaching through the gills and turning the hook over. Then all you have holding is the barb. Just a slight move and it pops right out. Lots of people are afraid of this method but the bass' gills are a lot tougher than you might think. It way beats ripping out the hook or cutting the line and leaving the hook in the fish.

I have been using this method and it works really well. I have not had a fish die from being hooked deep in a long time.

#11 ·
Its hard for me to believe that a hook will digest, I think it does more damage, I have actually caught fish with a hook that was trying to be passed, but it was so deeply imbedded it was not going to be able to. That hook did not look like it was being digested, or rusting away. I always make every effort to remove hooks, even cutting the hook into pieces if I have to.

On the thought of hooks digesting and rusting. How many old lures have you ever found, like when the water was down and the hooks maybe were rusted but still solid. I dont believe a fish would ever live long enough for the hook to rust away.

#12 ·
derekkrupp said:
i heard that if you just leave the hook in the fish that the acids inside the fish will digest the hook. is this true.
I caught a bass this last week with a rusty hook deep in its throat. I did the through gill method and removed it.

I have causht bass with mono and old hook coming out of their butts. Learn the deep hook removal and keep those fish alive and not suffering.

#13 ·
I think maybe some hooks used in Saltwater fishing may eventually dissolve, but I think in freshwater, with today's hooks, the chance of them dissolving is small. That being said, sometimes rather than kill a fish trying, some people will leave it. Most often than not though with a good set of forceps or pliers, you should be able to remove the hook. Some people claim to use a citrus soda (I think Mt. Dew or Sprite, etc.) will stop most bleeding.
Jigman mentioned an effective method for those really deep swallowed hooks.
One thing I try to do is set a hook quicker rather than letting the Bass have too much time to swallow it.

#14 ·
Unfortunately, I lose three or four fish a year to a deeply embedded hook. This year during the Bait Bash, I gut-hooked an 18"er so deeply that she was gone by the time I got her into the boat. I tried everything. Through the gills, long needle nose with the twisty move, nothing worked. She was bleeding out from the time I pulled her in. The 5/0 on the Minda Craw was just too deep.

She went into the live-well and I quit fishing and took her to shore. From there, it was a 25 minute drive to my brother-in-law's house where he gladly took her off my hands. He eats, and actually enjoys, a good bass dinner.

He later told me that when he gutted the fish, he opened up the stomach to see what she had fed upon. Inside the stomach were two very large crayfish, just like the Minda Craw. This fish was committed to inhaling a familiar prey without really tasting it first.

There will be these occasions where you can do nothing. But don't worry, protein does not go to waste in the ecosystem. Something will eat the fish.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.