Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Do you want the opinions posted here or on the link you provided? I spent 7 months there and Afghanistan so I definately have some opinions concerning both. Dave

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Dave, don't you think that Lt.Col. Pete Ellis is the opitome of a marine. Having spent some time waiting to be killed by sadam i guess i'm still in disbelief i'll have to chime in later.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You can email me your comments. I am interested to hear what you have to say.

A close friend of mine felt that my comments about history educatiion were way off base. Havingtaught it for 32 years I didn't agree.

cbs

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
imonembad said:
Dave, don't you think that Lt.Col. Pete Ellis is the opitome of a marine.   Having spent some time waiting to be killed by sadam i guess i'm still in disbelief i'll have to chime in later.
He Was everything Marine stands for. Don't you think that so called "war" could've been ended years ago ? Instead our friends have died because we weren't allowed to do our jobs. I don't disagree with the war on terror by no means, however I don't think its being handled in the right way. But then again politics confuse the hell outta me. All I do know is I did my job, saw GOOD men die for no reason, and did enough to be sitting here today. Semper Fi Dave

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dave, I think you are correct in many ways. I try very hard not to let politics taint my work as a military historian. The problem with "current" history is that it is often inaccurate and tainted. We will not be able to determine the effectiveness of the GWOT for many, many years. For example,On Point was published by the Center for Army Lessons Learned within a few months of the end of OIF 1. It was intended to tell the story of the invasion of Iraq. The Army wanted it out fast and fast it was and you know what happens when you rush into things.

cbs

·
Premium Member
3,225 Posts
Good observations in that article. When will part two come out?

IMHO leaving out politics makes it impossible to fully analyze military history. There has to be a cause for war. Armies don't just rise up and begin fighting. The armies fight because politicians send them for a reason. The reasons for sending them need not seem good ones or make sense, but to understand why a war happened it can only be understood by examining political climates of parties involved. Had the US done that adequately before engaging in the Iraq struggle I doubt we would have had ground troops there after it was verified the WMDs were gone and Saddam was not returning. Toppling Saddam was a good thing, giving Iraqis a chance to effect some change. Staying to police Iraq while employing the same ROEs as used in Vietnam was a big mistake. I realize we were once again avoiding the appearance of occupation, abuse and ultimately alienating the whole population.

I don't think it's needful for American students to suffer replacement of more useful knowledge with intricacies of Islam and Muslim politics and customs. Left alone, Islamic nations will implode through utter failure, inability to house and feed themselves. Failure is built in to Islam unless Islamists can rule the entire world and be in position to redistribute all available resources. That might sustain the 1.5 billion of them a decade, but once the resourcefulness of free people around the world dies off under Islamic oppression, even having access to all raw materials would fail them. They are takers, not contributors. They don't invent or improve concerning the modern world mindset. Ever since Muhammad they have spread Islam by the sword. They don't mind admitting that, explaining they only resort to the sword where people resist the teachings of Islam or inhibit their entry into a nation to teach it. That's really all Americans need to understand about them. Our children will witness the misery of an Islamic Europe and know to try to resist that if it isn't too late by then.

Jim

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ouachita said:
Good observations in that article. When will part two come out?

IMHO leaving out politics makes it impossible to fully analyze military history.
Jim
Not sure when he will post part two, keep checking back.

As for politics, I guess is was not clear. Politics is an integral part of life and history. However, I try to keep MY politics out of my research nd examination of history. Admittedly, that is not completely obtainable but IMHO a good historian strives to reach that lofty goal.

cbs

·
Registered
635 Posts
Wow, I knew it was a mess over there, but I always thought the Sunnis and Kurds and all were tribes. If they are opposing religions, the only solution is electroshock therapy for the entire nation. Especially if the Sunnis are fighting for thier lives, no wonder people are coming from other countries to fight. They are standding up for what they believe to be right. If that is the case, all we can do is try to pull them off of each other long enough to ... I don't know. Be thankful that they have better minds than mine working on it.

·
Premium Member
3,225 Posts
Iraq was Persia in ancient times, and the majority (80%) of Iraqis are of Persian descent. As Shiites their only real quarrel with Sunnis is a difference over what family got the religious blessings to lead the Islamic world. Sunnis tend to fill the ranks of terrorists, and that small minority dominated and horribly oppressed the majority through previously unthinkable means (i.e. 9/11 and the ways Saddam suppressed his opposers) through the Baathist political party. The best thing that could happen would be for all the Sunnis to leave. Then Sunni nations could wage direct war with Iraq and maybe settle the issue. But for now the only way Sunnis can see to survive and get their way is through terrorism, fighting from behind women and children. To them their cause is greater than symbols of true manhood. No real man with a family heart would kill innocent women, children and the feeble, using them as human shields.

Maybe it's a little easier to see why we prefer to deal with those characters on their own soil. We don't need their mess coming here any more than it already has.

Jim

1 - 10 of 10 Posts