Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Texas Rig is probably the most popular worm rig there is however there are so many dozens of other worm rigs out there. I am curious - When you arent texas rigging your worm/soft plastics, what rig are you most likely using?

For me it is the Carolina Rig

G

·
For me, it would be the drop-shot. I haven't been using it lately, but it's still something that I use quite a bit.

·
Premium Member
13,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've really gotta start fishing more drop shot rigs. I know the pros say you can use em in water 5 foot and shallower but I swear I cant find the confidence to do so.

·
Premium Member
17,927 Posts
Wacky Rigging , then maybe Carolina Rigging..

I think ive only tried drop shotting once or twice.

G

·
I drop shot all depths of water. I really like doing it around cover, though, in shallow water. I have caught a lot of bass fishing waters from 2-6 ft. deep. :)

I do a lot of wacky rigging, too. I totally didn't think about that.

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
Seriously, wacky rig would be the other one I use.

Carolina rigging never seems to catch anything around here, and although I do dropshot a bit for smallies, there are better ways IMO to catch big largemouth. Besides pike love to bite off my dropshot rigs like there's no tomorrow :-\

·
Premium Member
3,224 Posts
For me that depends on position of the fish, cover/structure type, and mood of fish.

On or within 3 feet of bottom and active, at least moving around, a Carolina rig, using a Texposed sinking or whacky hooked floating worm or creature.

Mid-depth suspended from about 3 feet off bottom to the surface, using a Slider head, 1/8 oz ball head,or maybe a split shotted sinking worm (salted). For suspended bass I want the bait to stay in the strike zone as long as possible. I might fish it vertically on their nose until they get mad enough to kill it.

A drop shot rig is fine for most suspension depths, from on bottom to a feew feet below the boat, especially when the bite has turned off.

Surface or near surface feeding, using a floating weightless worm or maybe a 1/32-1/16 oz leadhead with floating worm.

I use Texas rigged worms weighted 1/8 oz-1/4 oz on ultralight spinning tackle (6# line, rocks, weedbeds without woody cover) to heavy tackle weighted 3/8-3/4 oz for fishing through or next to shallow weedbeds with woody cover, or wood with no vegetation, but not through a heavy rock field.

In other words, though I love T-rigged worms, I don't tie them on until conditions call for it. If I know I'll be targeting weedlines with wood (stumps, brush) I'll pre-rig a heavy baitcaster with a 3/0 to 5/0 hook, maybe two baitcasters, and rig up the ultralight in case the bite is light, like during a cold front. That UL has saved my bacon many a day, sometimes the only guy bringing in one keeper fish, everyone else scratching.

Jim

·
Registered
419 Posts
Texas rigging is my bread and butter but I have used shakey head rigs for a long time and Carolina rigs. The last couple of years, I have become a fan of weightless plastics too. I have this addiction to anything plastic. Maybe the shrink I'm seein' can help me!!! ??? :wack:

·
Premium Member
3,987 Posts
Texas rigged worms or creatures work well in shallow water, less than 20' deep. About the only time I fish a Texas rig anymore is in brush or wood cover with worms 7" or longer or at night when the bass are up and cruising the banks. Drop shot, slip shot with mojo weight, jig wormor grub like a dart heads are the primary worm presentations that I use most of the time. Soft jerk baits (Flukes), swim baits, spider jigs or surface frog type soft plastics and under spins w/tiny flukes make up the balance of my soft plastic arsenal. I use them all depending on the circumstances.
Tom

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
its a toss up for me either wacky which has been very good for me lately, or shakey head but thats still in the learning stages, so that has a rod rigged up all the time and i just get it out of the rod locker when i feel it will be productive. Dave

·
Registered
318 Posts
LakeCityYankee said:
Texas Rig is probably the most popular worm rig there is however there are so many dozens of other worm rigs out there. I am curious - When you arent texas rigging your worm/soft plastics, what rig are you most likely using?

For me it is the Carolina Rig
Wacky Senko shallow, Carolina deeper

·
Banned
539 Posts
I like love shallow cranks in heavy cover, weightless worms/senkos, and flukes. Some success with drop shot, but a tough rig for me to find the confidence in.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts