Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it is that time of year again. My deer season is over, the boat is winterized, and I am looking to hit the streams on Lake Michigan. The last time I was up there doing any fishing, it was a bit colder. Most people would think that my two friends and myself were a bit off of our gourds for doing what we were doing.

Let me set the scene. We went up to fish a warm water discharge into the lake. Warm water discharge eh, brings up memories of sitting in a hot tub outside in the winter in Upper Michigan....well, the water wasn't quite that warm. My guess would be that the water was only slightly warmer than the surrounding waters in lake Michigan, but that was enough to pull in the coho and brown trout. When we first got there, the pack ice was completely blocking our access to the deeper water. We could wade out, but we couldn't get any deeper than about three feet. So we fished right in the discharge. Nothing was biting. So when we decided to walk out, I decided to look at the lake one more time.

The small strip of pack ice had broken up enough we could fish through some alleys and get into some deeper water. Did I mention I had a small leak in my chest waders? Yeah, it was in the crotch area. Did I also mention that there were snow flurries in the sky? And whenever you fish the south end of Lake Michigan, you always have a cold north wind.....just ask anyone who works in the mills.

After several casts, my friend hooked up with a nice brown. My other friend caught a small coho. I finally caught a keeper coho, just to have it get off right at my waist. A few more shorts and some misses, and I finally brought a keeper coho to my friends hands and we landed it. They had to leave, and since I rode with them, the day was over, but it was a fabulous day of fishing. I had walked out so deep in the water that the waves would splash up on my elbow and freeze to my jacket sleeve. After a couple of hours of this, I had a nice ball of ice on my elbow.

I can't wait to hit it again after the ice starts to go away in March next year. With it being such a long walk, I have decided not to bring so much tackle. I have also bought a nice backpack to carry my lures in. I got one with extra large straps since I will be bulked up in clothing when the trip happens. I will leave you with some nice pictures of that cold day in March.

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Now now now, if that water was cold, we would be walking on top of it. :victory:

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fish4FunInFl said:
Your a braver man then I. I dont even want to open our freezer when its a lil cold around here :tongue2:
You're from south Florida....define cold?? LOL

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
60 degrees....brrrrr.....however do you survive those brutal south Florida winters? :lmao: I think it hit 27 here last night. Got a light skim of ice on the minnow bucket.

·
Registered
526 Posts
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO To cold for me i`ll walk on it not in it!!!! BURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrr

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.