Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to take some space here, just to let my friends from Virginia know my thoughts and prayers are with you. There are things in America that happen that transend religion, geographic location, or political affilation and the events of the last two days has been one of them. After over 30 hours of pre-theology in college I still find myself questioning why these things have to happen. I guess that is why I never became a minister.

I have seen the ravages of war, and I grew up watching on T.V. as men beat other men with clubs and bats and I've seen dogs turned loose on people who fought for the right to vote. I watched America weep as they buried a young President. But for the life of me, I do not understand what happened in Jonesboro, Arkansas, or Colombine, Co., or yesterday at Virginia Tech. It is beyound my ability to understand.

I do understand free will, sin and mental illness(my mother showed her first symptoms when I was in Jr. High) but I struggle to understand man's inhumanity to man.

For you with young children, love them each and every day, and let them know it. Teach them to love by example. Turn off the tube and disconnect the violent video games. Read them a good story, and teach them to explore with their minds.
And for us older parents--did you call your children today--just to see how their doing?

As most of you know, I try to be humorus when I write and I always have the dancin' guy in my posts. I just don't feel like dancin' tonight.

To all my friends,

Gary

·
Premium Member
13,631 Posts
Indeed! My thoughts and prayers are too with all the students, faculty and families of Virginia Tech.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
It makes you woder what the world is coming to. I think that theres still some good in people, you just have to find it. I was starting to lose my faith in humanity, then when i got hurt people that i didnt even know were bending over backwards for my family, for instance Kylie had a job at one of the biggest hospitals in louisiana as a accountant, when i got hurt she had been working there about a year, so she had no vacation days, the kind people that she worked with donated their vacation days so she would still get paid. They did that for a month. My moms friends stuck by her side every minute. So i guess what i trying to say is, terrible things like what happened in VA are devastating, however we cant lose faith in all human beings, there are still some very good people in this world we call home. Along with my family my thoughts and prayers are with the families affected by this tragedy. Dave

G

·
Excellent post Otter. I agree what a sad moment in Americana and for those familes who lost loved ones mindlessly like that. My prayers are out to these people who are suffering right now.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Totally agree Otter, my thoughts and prayers go to the family and friends. First thing I did after hearing about it was call my son at school and make sure he was ok. Just totally unbelievable.

·
Registered
801 Posts
OTTER, Thanks. My prayers are sent.
We have it better than 98% of people in the world... The other 2% aren't Bassholes. Smile.

·
Premium Member
4,943 Posts
Dittos Otter!
We have, for the last 40 or so years, that I can remember, a lessening of value for life in this nation. The good news is that there are many who do value life and try to make it better. They are not all old or middle aged. Some come from "rough backgrounds". So it is not hopeless out there. The other good news is that the wanton desruction of life is still rare, because of the news we hear it faster and louder.
Rodney
PS I agree with Mary, if there were more bassholes, there would be less violence.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I guess that's why I do what I do. If I can make a difference with just one life--what a reward. May our children find a way to bring peace to this world!

·
Premium Member
3,224 Posts
This world has had insane people all along, beginning with the murder of Abel by Cain. It was senseless. Many people have bent to animal instincts, drifting away from humanity in many ways. I've witnessed a lot of killing among animals and know that's just the way they are. But for them horrendous killings are not insanity. It's nature. Men are made to be higher than nature. But there are always some who never attain to that level. There is nothing anyone can do nowadays to control those people. I remember when anyone showing signs of insanity was put in a mental hospital and kept there indefinitely on mind controlling drugs, keeping society relatively safe. Not all were identified, the Boston Strangler slipping through, Bundy, and many others. It seems to me society was betrayed when social engineers decided to turn those people out of those institutions, onto our streets. Laws prevented the police from acquiring needed information on them, so they wandered unknown. Now a student can enter college and expose his insanity to all his neighbors, and as an adult be protected from sharing of information to his parents or law enforcement officials. The Virginia legislature passed a law preventing any college from banning any insane person. The people of Virginia ignored the obvious dangers and kept re-electing the same legislators, putting society at risk.

Until our society rejects the liberalism that insists on full rights for every citizen regardless of their threats to us, there will surely be more Columbines and Va Techs. We pray about that and the victims, but in reality the solution is up to sane voters. We were given dominion over earth by God, and we should be exercising that dominion. Instead, it appears most of us Americans rather fear offending small groups that should be offended for their own good and ours.

Jim

·
Registered
801 Posts
Thanks Jim.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts