Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I switched out my cranking battery about 2 weeks ago and during the change I forgot to put back my Stay N Charge wires. haven't really needed it as I haven't fished very much lately ( too hot!) Then I read the post about the circuit breaker is supposed to be on the negative wire instead of the positive wire. I called Jim to make sure I needed to do that and he said yes. He said it should have been that way when I got it. Anyway, I made those changes and hooked everything back up and went fishing yesterday. I don't think my TM batteries are getting charged. There is power to the unit, because the top light , "Input Power" is on, but neither "Battery 1 nor "Battery 2 " lights are coming on. I checked the voltage in the tm batteries and they are reading 12.4 volts after about 4 hours of fishing. Anyone have any clues? If not I'll give Jim a call next week.

·
Premium Member
13,631 Posts
Check the voltage of your cranking battery. It should read 13 volts... if it doesnt then that is the problem... you may have bought a bad battery. This sounds crazy but I cant count how many times i have seen this happen. It has happened to me TWICE in the last 3 years. Brand new batteries and they just failed the load test and constantly needed charging so my AllCharge never had a chance to charge my trolling motor batteries. As soon as I replaced the battery, it worked like a charm. I once argued with Jim over the phone for 30 minutes because I was SURE that my Allcharge was bad... finally against my belief I took my battery to Advanced Auto and had them load test it. Jim was correct and i owed him an apology lol That was 3 years ago. Obviously ever since then I have been a HUGE believer in StayNCharge and the fact that 99.9% of the time if something isnt working, its not the AllCharge, its a bad battery some where in the system... 9 out of 10 tmes its the cranking battery.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jared, I've checked the voltage on my new cranking battery and it reads over 13 volts. It's a Die Hard Platinum Plus and is about 2 weeks old. My 2 trolling batteries are also Die Hards and both have been purchased since January. They all check out fine voltage wise and I haven't had any problems with them on the water. My main concern is that after I rewired the circuit breaker, neither of my Battery 1 or Battery 2 lights come on on the unit. And the "click" sound in the unit, which use to be about every 2 minutes when switching from charging 1 battery to another, is now clicking about every 30 seconds. The part of the system from my truck to the cranking battery is working fine. It's just from the cranking battery to the trolling batteries is where the problem lies. I've had the whole system for a year now with no problems. I am curious as to whether there is some type of reset on the unit module box?

·
Registered
220 Posts
checking the voltage is one thing but have them load tested and that is where you will see if they are actually putting out whatever voltage. if it was mine i would unhook all the wires to all the batteries and run it to sears where you bought them and check them while they are in the boat.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Brave if the input light is coming on and no lights on the bottom then there could be something wrong with the unit so please call me or email when I can call you and lets get you back up and working. Not sure what the problem would be but I bet we can figure it out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts