Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today while talking with BASS Elite Pro Mark Menendez I learned something very interesting. Mark has a degree in Fisheries Biology. While attending Murray State University working towards his degree, he learned quite a few things that he has found to be helpful in his fishing career. The one that struck me as being the most interesting and perhaps the one that will be the most helpful to everyone from the everyday anglers to the hardcore tournament anglers is the use of Hydrogen Peroxide in your livewell.

The formula for Hydrogen Peroxide is H2O2 It's hard not to notice that it is VERY close to the formula for water - H2O. Hydrogen Peroxide just has one more oxygen atom.

When you pour Hydrogen Peroxide into the water in your livewell, it releases one of the oxygen's into the water. Thus instantly oxygenating your water.

"So when you got a big (fish) that you just made a long cast to, and its jumped 10 times and fighting like a big dog, all you have to is throw him in the live and pour you 2 or 3 ounces of hydrogen peroxide in the water and he'll be ready to go in about 30 seconds."

Mark went on to say that doing this has saved him countless thousands of dollars over the years.

I can tell you this much, for now on you will never see me on the water without a big container of Hydrogen Peroxide in my boat.

·
Premium Member
13,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just checked the prices on Hydrogen Peroxide and the stuff is very cheap! I see no reason why everyone shouldnt have a bottle of it in their boat. It would mean a lot more healthy fish making it to the weigh in and being released.

·
Registered
13,775 Posts
This is not just for tournament fishing.
This can also be utilized even if you're not fishing a tournament and are just fishing for fun and letting all your fish go.
How many times have you brought in a fish that you questioned if it was going to make it or not when you let it go? Well, when in doubt, toss it in your livewell with some H2O2 and increase it's chance of survival. Go ahead and continue fishing for 30 minutes or so and release the fish once you see it is recovering.

·
Premium Member
1,636 Posts
Another thing that it great for is getting blood out of clothes.I have used on all kinds of shirts and will remove blood from your shirts,this will not faded any colors and you can pretreat with it and then put in your washing machine.Best of all you can get it for less than a dollar,you can't go out and buy a soda pop for that price now a days.

·
Premium Member
6,888 Posts
iamski said:
Not only is it good for the fish, you too. If you get a cut or fin or bite you can give it a quick clean out.
Mo!!! are you reading this?????hint hint :tongue2: :tongue2: :rofl1: :rofl1: :thumbup01: :D :D :D for those oops moments :sad2:

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
Thanks for the tip.
I'll be picking a bottle up for my boat now. :cheers:

·
Registered
13,775 Posts
retired-psg said:
iamski said:
Not only is it good for the fish, you too. If you get a cut or fin or bite you can give it a quick clean out.
Mo!!! are you reading this?????hint hint :tongue2: :tongue2: :rofl1: :rofl1: :thumbup01: :D :D :D for those oops moments :sad2:
LOL...yea, yea...I'll probably end up using all mine for nursing my wounds before I ever need it for any fish!!....LOL :lmao: :lmao:

·
Premium Member
6,888 Posts
:D :D :D :tongue2: :nannerdance: :nannerdance: :nannerdance: :nannerdance: :nannerdance: :nannerdance: :nannerdance: :nannerdance: :nannerdance: :nannerdance: :nannerdance: :nannerdance: :nannerdance: :nannerdance: :nannerdance:

·
Registered
13,775 Posts
Well, I got a big ole jug of Hydrogen peroxide for the boat for my livewell...now I just have to start catching fish during my tournaments!!....LOL

Actually my son and I did put some fish in the well tonight during our tourney...3 hr tournament, water temps only 70 degrees...no need for it tonight...Unfortunately we didn't cash a check

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
I tell you what. This site never ceases to amaze me. This is some great info. Between this and the keep Bass alive guide I may never lose another fish. At least I hope not. I will definetly be passing this along.

This might be a little extreme, but if your real serious about ensuring the survivability of your catch. It might not be a bad idea to bring along a portable livewell set up (a cooler, pump, and battery) with you when you go to your favorite pond and fish from the bank. Like I said, it might be a little extreme. I'm just throwing it out there.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Guys just thought I would add my 2 cents. This technique is great and take nothing away from Mr. Menendez, but you can greatly increase the survivablility of a stressed fish by using 3 percent hydrogen peroxide (found at every walmart) and another livewell additive. I for one use sure life products. I am not affiliated with them so i dont want this to seem like a plug, but i use both catch and release and please release me. They have natural sedatives and coagulants in them. So now with oxygenated water, I have a sedated fish and any wounds or bacteria that is in the well will be killed or treated. I fish tourneys in southern Texas and have yet to lose a fish. Lane from Sure Life Labs will talk with anyone interested about conservation.
Thanks for your time

·
Premium Member
6,888 Posts
disturbingiraq good post :thumbup01: :thumbup01: :thumbup01: :thumbup01: all information is good.

·
Premium Member
6,888 Posts
Yup keeping a bottle in my boat from now on, also comes in handy fishing w/Mo as he's always stabbing himself with a hook :wack: :D :D :D :D got to keep him healthy :thumbup01: :thumbup01:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.