Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner

Hydrogen Peroxide aka H2O2 In Your LiveWell

15K views 31 replies 19 participants last post by  coosacat 
#1 ·
Today while talking with BASS Elite Pro Mark Menendez I learned something very interesting. Mark has a degree in Fisheries Biology. While attending Murray State University working towards his degree, he learned quite a few things that he has found to be helpful in his fishing career. The one that struck me as being the most interesting and perhaps the one that will be the most helpful to everyone from the everyday anglers to the hardcore tournament anglers is the use of Hydrogen Peroxide in your livewell.

The formula for Hydrogen Peroxide is H2O2 It's hard not to notice that it is VERY close to the formula for water - H2O. Hydrogen Peroxide just has one more oxygen atom.

When you pour Hydrogen Peroxide into the water in your livewell, it releases one of the oxygen's into the water. Thus instantly oxygenating your water.

"So when you got a big (fish) that you just made a long cast to, and its jumped 10 times and fighting like a big dog, all you have to is throw him in the live and pour you 2 or 3 ounces of hydrogen peroxide in the water and he'll be ready to go in about 30 seconds."

Mark went on to say that doing this has saved him countless thousands of dollars over the years.

I can tell you this much, for now on you will never see me on the water without a big container of Hydrogen Peroxide in my boat.

See less See more
#3 ·
I just checked the prices on Hydrogen Peroxide and the stuff is very cheap! I see no reason why everyone shouldnt have a bottle of it in their boat. It would mean a lot more healthy fish making it to the weigh in and being released.

#5 ·
This is not just for tournament fishing.
This can also be utilized even if you're not fishing a tournament and are just fishing for fun and letting all your fish go.
How many times have you brought in a fish that you questioned if it was going to make it or not when you let it go? Well, when in doubt, toss it in your livewell with some H2O2 and increase it's chance of survival. Go ahead and continue fishing for 30 minutes or so and release the fish once you see it is recovering.

#6 ·
Another thing that it great for is getting blood out of clothes.I have used on all kinds of shirts and will remove blood from your shirts,this will not faded any colors and you can pretreat with it and then put in your washing machine.Best of all you can get it for less than a dollar,you can't go out and buy a soda pop for that price now a days.

#8 ·
iamski said:
Not only is it good for the fish, you too. If you get a cut or fin or bite you can give it a quick clean out.
Mo!!! are you reading this?????hint hint :tongue2: :tongue2: :rofl1: :rofl1: :thumbup01: :D :D :D for those oops moments :sad2:

#10 ·
retired-psg said:
iamski said:
Not only is it good for the fish, you too. If you get a cut or fin or bite you can give it a quick clean out.
Mo!!! are you reading this?????hint hint :tongue2: :tongue2: :rofl1: :rofl1: :thumbup01: :D :D :D for those oops moments :sad2:
LOL...yea, yea...I'll probably end up using all mine for nursing my wounds before I ever need it for any fish!!....LOL :lmao: :lmao:

#11 ·
:D :D :D :tongue2: :nannerdance: :nannerdance: :nannerdance: :nannerdance: :nannerdance: :nannerdance: :nannerdance: :nannerdance: :nannerdance: :nannerdance: :nannerdance: :nannerdance: :nannerdance: :nannerdance: :nannerdance:

#13 ·
Well, I got a big ole jug of Hydrogen peroxide for the boat for my livewell...now I just have to start catching fish during my tournaments!!....LOL

Actually my son and I did put some fish in the well tonight during our tourney...3 hr tournament, water temps only 70 degrees...no need for it tonight...Unfortunately we didn't cash a check

#15 ·
I tell you what. This site never ceases to amaze me. This is some great info. Between this and the keep Bass alive guide I may never lose another fish. At least I hope not. I will definetly be passing this along.

This might be a little extreme, but if your real serious about ensuring the survivability of your catch. It might not be a bad idea to bring along a portable livewell set up (a cooler, pump, and battery) with you when you go to your favorite pond and fish from the bank. Like I said, it might be a little extreme. I'm just throwing it out there.

#16 ·
Guys just thought I would add my 2 cents. This technique is great and take nothing away from Mr. Menendez, but you can greatly increase the survivablility of a stressed fish by using 3 percent hydrogen peroxide (found at every walmart) and another livewell additive. I for one use sure life products. I am not affiliated with them so i dont want this to seem like a plug, but i use both catch and release and please release me. They have natural sedatives and coagulants in them. So now with oxygenated water, I have a sedated fish and any wounds or bacteria that is in the well will be killed or treated. I fish tourneys in southern Texas and have yet to lose a fish. Lane from Sure Life Labs will talk with anyone interested about conservation.
Thanks for your time

#20 ·
Yup keeping a bottle in my boat from now on, also comes in handy fishing w/Mo as he's always stabbing himself with a hook :wack: :D :D :D :D got to keep him healthy :thumbup01: :thumbup01:

G
#22 ·
This has some more good info. I Can not remember which tourney it was but they fixed us up at registration. It gets really hot here and you really have to baby sit your fish during the summer months. I freeze milk jugs with unchlorinated water to cool my live well. allot of the ice you buy has chlorine in it and you have to watch that also. This system works!!! My self and my non-boater both had a little over 21lbs each thats over 42lbs total in my livewell on Choke in June and they were all released alive.

+Bass Care In Warm Water Conditions

The following guidelines and instructions have been formulated in an effort to reduce initial and delayed
mortality on one of our premier fishing lakes. We as tournament anglers are under scrutiny due to the recent
high mortality rates observed here from other tournament anglers and organizations. We need to make sure
that we as anglers take every step and precaution to help preserve
the quality of this fishery. Please read the following instructions very carefully and do your
best to implement these instructions, as you and every other angler during a event
are part of a grand solution to prove that a tournament can be conducted with high bass
survival rates and we can leave a lake in as good a shape as we found it. If we do not show
respect and concern for the fishery and others like it, the no angling public and regulating authorities may take
action and impose tournament restrictions. Let’s do everything we can to prove that we as ANGLERS are
PROS at keeping bass alive.

INSTRUCTIONS FOR BASS LIVEWELL CARE
ITEMS TO BRING: ICE (CUBED) MINIMUM OF 25 POUNDS
COOLER TO KEEP ICE IN
POOL THERMOMETER OR DIGITAL PROBE
16 OUNCE BOTTLE OF 3% HYDROGEN PEROXIDE
ITEMS PROVIDED AT CHECK IN:
CATCH & RELEASE FORMULA (10 OUNCE BOTTLE PER TEAM) FREE
MEASURING DEVICE FOR HYDROGEN PEROXIDE (FREE)
ADDITIONAL ITEM AVAIALBLE @ CHECK IN:
16 OUNCE BOTTLE 3% HYDROGEN PEROXIDE $1.00 EACH
In an effort to provide the best possible live release during a tournament; We are encouraging you to be
proactive in addressing livewell conditions all day long. Although the weigh in procedure is
critical, your handling of the fish throughout the day is even more critical, since the fish are in YOUR
POSSESSION for the majority of the time. Please study the following suggestions and give them your
utmost consideration.
1. In order to properly condition a livewell, you need to know the approximate volume of your livewell.
We highly recommend that you measure the dimensions of your livewell(s) ahead of time to determine
gallon volume. Use the following formula to determine the water capacity of your square or
rectangular livewell. Using a measuring device (tape or ruler), multiply length times width times height
of water in livewell (all in feet) times the constant 7.5. The result will be in gallons.
2. Fill livewell(s) early (shortly after takeoff) from good water in main body of lake. Do not fill
livewell(s) or exchange water in creeks or coves and especially NOT at take off site. HELPFUL TIP:
If you have separate livewells, fill first livewell early and store bags of ice in second livewell. This will
help keep the primary livewell cool. Afterwards, if you need the second livewell, it will be easier to
cool down. This method will also conserve your ice.
3. IMPORTANT!!!!Treat livewell with CATCH & RELEASE early and recirculate
for a couple of
minutes to thoroughly mix. For a tournament use the following chart to determine proper amount of
CATCH & RELEASE to add to your livewell. MAKE SURE YOU DOSE LIVEWELL BEFORE
YOU START FISHING!!!!
GALLONS OF WATER CAPFUL(S) OF CATCH & RELEASE FROM 10 OZ. BOTTLE
10-15
Gallons 2 ½ Capfuls Of CATCH & RELEASE
20 Gallons 3 –3 ½ Capfuls Of CATCH & RELEASE
25-30
Gallons 5 Capfuls Of CATCH & RELEASE
4. CRITICAL!!!LIVEWELL TEMPERATURES. Please keep your livewell(s) as close as possible to
65 degrees Fahrenheit. DO NOT LET LIVEWELL TEMPERATURES EXCEED 68 degrees
Fahrenheit at any time during this tournament. Check your thermometer OFTEN to make sure
temperatures are in target range.
5. Add 3% hydrogen peroxide to livewell once you catch your FIRST FISH. The 3% hydrogen peroxide
will provide adequate dissolved oxygen levels even if you experience livewell failure. Pay attention to
the dosage rates below and do not exceed our recommendations. Repeat this procedure when you start
to operate second livewell upon introduction of fish.
GALLONS OF WATER 3% HYDROGEN PEROXIDE DOSAGE RATE
10-15 Gallons ½ Cupful (4 Fluid Ounces)
20 Gallons ¾ Cupful (6 Fluid Ounces)
25-30 Gallons 1 Cupful (8 Fluid Ounces)
6. If you catch a heavy load of fish, please exchange water in livewell at least once during the day and
repeat cooling of water, dosing of CATCH & RELEASE and reapply hydrogen peroxide to livewell.
7. IMPORTANT!!!!!!!DO NOT. REPEAT. DO NOT PUMP IN FRESH WATER OR
RECIRCULATE FRESH WATER THROUGHOUT THE DAY. This will defeat the purpose of
cooling the water down and applications of water conditioners. DO NOT OPERATE LIVEWELLS
ON TIMED AERATION. KEEP LIVEWELLS ON MANUAL RECIRCULATION
CONSTANTLY.
8. DO NOT FILL WEIGH IN BAGS FROM WATER OVER THE SIDE OF BOAT AT WEIGH
IN SITE!!!!Fill bags with water from treated and cooled livewells. Dip bags in livewells to fill with
water or pump water from livewell through pump out pumps directly to bags as they hang off side of
boat. To fill bags with water from lake at this point will totally defeat the purpose of all the work you
have done in that livewell throughout the day.
9. TIPS FOR DEEP HOOKED OR WOUNDED (BLEEDING) BASS: Wet hands and try to remove
hook using “through the gill method” working quickly. Do not keep bass out of water for more than 40
seconds. If having difficulty, then place bass in livewell water between procedure and allow it to
breathe for a few moments and resume task of hook removal. If bass has swallowed the hook, then cut
the line close as possible to hook eye and place bass in livewell. If bass is bleeding from body or gills,
apply a pinch of CATCH & RELEASE directly to the wound. While we can’t guarantee that your
bass will live, following these procedures will give them the best possible chance for survival.
10. TIPS FOR PROPERLY HANDLING FISH: Try to keep handling bass to a MINIMUM! Try not to
let bass come in contact with carpet or let bass bounce around on carpet. This will cause extreme injury
to the allimportant
slime coat or skin of the bass. If you do disrupt slime coating from this action, then
this is a good time to rub some CATCH & RELEASE on abrasion. Be cautious not to break jaws of
bass. Once broken, that bass will not be able to feed again. ALWAYS hold bass in vertical position or
use TWO HANDS to support body. Holding bass with single hand by way of mouth in a horizontal
position without proper support will dislocate or break jaw.

#24 ·
I have a book "keeping bass alive" put out by BASS is says to never put peroxide in the water it harms the fish and removes a a protective coating from the gills of the fish.Just thought i would post this up maybe some of you guys have the same book and could take a look at it.

#25 ·
178bee said:
I have a book "keeping bass alive" put out by BASS is says to never put peroxide in the water it harms the fish and removes a a protective coating from the gills of the fish.Just thought i would post this up maybe some of you guys have the same book and could take a look at it.
I just looked it up and yes, it does state that...Their concern is using too much...that people will not pay attention to the amounts to use...Most people think more is better, which absolutely is NOT the case when it comes to using Hydrogen Peroxide...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.