Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased this transducers http://www.turtlemarine.com/lowrance10674.html to use with my two 520-c units. I have a skimmer on the back of my boat but im not sure how to mount this thing. I mean it looks easy but not sure of proper placement on trolling motor. Also should I be hooking these up to my cranking battery?

·
Premium Member
3,224 Posts
I used an electric clothes dryer outlet band to mount my skimmer transducer on the trolling motor. It's a metal strap that takes a small socket wrench to tighten up around tubing. That slips through a bracket to which the tducer is bolted. The strap goes around the motor housing, tducer hanging under the motor. You can get a strap kit with all the parts.

If one tducer for both units, you'll need a splitter switch from LEI. It allows switching between two tducers, so you can only have sonar on one at a time. I run two units each with its own tducer and antenna. You can share GPS antenna so both units can show GPS at once.

Since the 520 has red connectors you would be better off getting components with red connectors. There's a shortage of adapter cables from blue to red. You'll probably have to run each unit independently, not networked, if the correct parts don't come supplied with the units. It depends on how you went about ordering the units.

Jim

·
Premium Member
3,987 Posts
The trolling motor skimmer transducer bracket number is TMB-S-BRKT, LEI number 042194501925, $5.02, includes the plastic bracket that accommodates the transducer and hose clamp to hold it to the motor. Be sure to align the bracket and transducer to be parallel to the motor shaft and perpendicular to the water surface, use a level. Locate the transducer in front of the motor shaft with the strap that holds the bracket close to the front of the shaft. Rout the cable up the front of the shaft and tie with plastic ty-straps onto the lower shaft and make sure there is slack for the turn on the upper shaft housing and tie down the cable to prevent being damaged by the trolling motor folding bracket.
I prefer using RAM mounts for easy adjustment and storage. The skimmer transducer has the temperature sensor built in.
You connect the power cable to the cranking battery at the fuse block located under your console, and use the in-line fuse supplied with the Lowrance unit. You will need a 40 amp easy breaker battery switch for the cranking battery to switch off when charging battery and storing your boat. Most bass boats should already have this switch, my Triton didn't and had to add it. Good luck and feel free to ask whatever questions you may have.
Tom

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ouachita said:
You can share GPS antenna so both units can show GPS at once.
How do you do this??? I ordered a 520C with gps ant. and one without a ant. so its possible I can have 1 gps ant run both of my 520c's?

·
Premium Member
3,987 Posts
XactRecords said:
I just purchased this transducers http://www.turtlemarine.com/lowrance10674.html to use with my two 520-c units. I have a skimmer on the back of my boat but im not sure how to mount this thing. I mean it looks easy but not sure of proper placement on trolling motor. Also should I be hooking these up to my cranking battery?
You don't want that transducer, use the skimmer that came with the 520c unit and TMB-S-BRKT.
Tom

·
Premium Member
3,987 Posts
XactRecords said:
Ouachita said:
You can share GPS antenna so both units can show GPS at once.
How do you do this??? I ordered a 520C with gps ant. and one without a ant. so its possible I can have 1 gps ant run both of my 520c's?
Yes. Use the network antenna adapter with red connectors. I do not know the part number off hand. Just connect both antenna cables from each head unit to the adapter to split the signal. Locate the inline network adapter under you console. Call Lowrance direct at 918/437.6881 or maybe Jim knows the part number and it maybe in the 520c manual.
Tom

·
Premium Member
3,224 Posts
That pod type transducer Part # 106-74 will work fine for the 520C. It has a slot at one end to run the hose clamp through. You can use a skimmer type too, my preference. I like to tilt it back to look under floating mats of hydrilla or floating docks.

One antenna can serve both 520C units. Once you install the backbone network cable from boat end to end you just find an unused tee connector and plug the antenna cable into the network cable. If your antenna is placed at bow or stern that's a no-brainer. It will only connect one way. If mid-way, say at the console, then the network cable has to be tapped at a juntion using a new tee. You might have to order that.

The 520C should have shipped with red connector cable, enough for the basic "backbone" network, which is all you need to hook up the antenna. If they are missing you'll have to order the conversion cables that take a blue connector to red. They come in various lengths, so wait until you know which you need if any.

Jim

·
Premium Member
3,224 Posts
Powering with cranking or trolling battery.....

Once the new is taken off a cranking battery, whenever you crank, the voltage drops until restored by the outboard alternator. When it drops below the minimum required 520C voltage, the head unit restarts, interrupting trail drawing and of course wiping out the previous view. As outboard motors age, the plug wires go after plugs burn, so keep those up to snuff. Sometimes no matter how well they are maintained they will inject electrical noise into a sonar display.

If you use a trolling battery you can get noise from a trolling motor using DC brushes in the motor. They wear down and spark more as they age.

I put an extra battery in the boat to run the electronics. It serves as a backup cranking/trolling battery. You could run them off one garden tractor battery all day, or two days, something easy to find a space for somewhere in the boat. I was fortunate to be able to squeeze in another full sized trolling battery in the battery compartment. If you have a 24 or 36 volt trolling motor then you already have an extra battery that could be used as a dedicated power source if you don't need the higher trolling power. I'd try just tapping one of them anyway to see whether the motor interferes.

You can get more interference from one 520 to the other than those other sources. In that case I set the console unit to 100% ping rate, and the bow unit to less than 50%. If necessary I tilt the transom transducer slightly to the rear away from the bow sound cone. Since I use a skimmer transducer on the bow I can tilt it forward a degree, not enough to affect depth accuracy.

Jim

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Awesome...you guys are super helpful. I appreciate everyones detailed responses.

·
Premium Member
3,987 Posts
The issue with the puck transducer is the temperature probe will be missing and the skimmer has it built in and why you should use it, unless water temperature changes are important to you when on the trolling motor. I'm kind of a nut when it comes to water temps.
Tom

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No Joke I work for a 150 million dollar company running the companies websites and e-commerce division so I know first hand how valuable knowledgeable people are. You guys could EASILY sell some advertising on this website for lowrance, etc. I mean because of old school i went out and ordered 2 520C units. You guys might want to consider contacting them. I am sure you have decent traffic. If you ever consider it let me know and I will help you out with PPC campaigns and organic search listings as those are my specialties. You could drive more traffic and generate more sales leads for your advertisters.

The only reason I said what I did above is because no other website is this helpful. I would be willing to bet you guys rival any manufacturer messageboard.

·
Premium Member
3,224 Posts
WOW, what a nice compliment. I dodn't know a thing about those search listings and such. :dunno: The techs at Lowrance know about Ouachita, and frankly I think they get nervous giving up some territory to guys like us. They get paid to give out advice. It's just my nature to promote anything I really believe in, so on fishing boards that includes anything for boats or tackle. I've probably sold them a ton of map cards, as well as Navionics map cards.

Jim

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well keep up the good work! I will continue to to visit this website as well as recommend it to people I know. I have already posted the link in our members section of the bass club I am in. We just peaked over 30 member and are a part of the federation nation. I know many of our members could benefit from the resources on this website. On another note the wife wasn't to happy I bought two 520c units LOL! I originally told her I was getting only one unit...YIKES!!

- Jason

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oh and my offer to help with advertising was a free offer. I am not looking to make money of a resource website like this. I know of many tools that can promote this website if and when you guys are ready to ever revenue from your website. Yah know even a little bit of cash helps pay the hosting fees, etc.

·
Premium Member
3,224 Posts
Hmmmm. While I don't have much clue to what this is about yet, if its a way to finance expansion of this board I'll play. I'm retired now, wasn't looking to work, have a lot of free time on my hands, but if something interesting and beneficial to lots of folks came around I'd sure look at it. Are you talking product staff sponsorships or what?

Jim

1 - 18 of 18 Posts