Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner

How often do you retie your lure?

• Every catch or hookup or snag?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Every couple of catches or hookups or snags?

• Every couple of hours?

• Every time I go?

• Once a month or longer?

• Uh, retie? Really?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This question came to me because there are a few types of techniques I favor. Because of this there tend to be a few types of lures that are always tied on. This leads to situations where during a certain season if I'm not careful I may have the same lure tied on ALL the time. :cool1: I frequently fish a "white spinner bait" or "bluegill soft swimbait" or "10" junebug Berkley Powerbait worm." I have to be careful to retie these in some pattern or I'm going to loose that Personal Best (PB) one of these days.

I'm sure this is common, at least I think it might be, so I thought I'd remind everyone about this.

You don't want to remember this once that PB is swimming away! :sad2:

For me, the right answer is "Every couple of catches or hookups or snags". However, I believe the truly devoted do this more often.

How about you?

Perry

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Too me it all depends, when fishing a crank in open waters I will only retie after a heavy cactch of any slight tug. If I am not getting hits, I don't retie cause I use the clip for fast changing and have had issues using the round split ring and it damaging my knot during a fight.

Now spinner baits and jigs that I am fishing through heavy cover I play it by feel. I only retie when I have a reason, I always check my like for the feel of abrasions and not just at the knot but 2-3 feet above.

Also, since switching to flourocarbon from mono I have started to use a lil dab of superglue. I found a bottle of it at Dick's Sporting Goods and they had a unscented version that since using it I have never thrown a lure off or even had the knot give out in a fight... the only issue i have with it is when I get snagged in deeper water, I have to cut the line cause I can't break it without risking damaging my rod or reel.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
I rarely ever retie a bait. Most all of my fishing is in extremly rocky and stumpy areas. I get quite a few hangups so since I do not go into the productive water to get a bait I just tie on a new one. That is why I make my own baits instead of paying $$$ for them.

I'd rather lose a few baits than spook 1 good bass.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jig Man said:
I rarely ever retie a bait. Most all of my fishing is in extremly rocky and stumpy areas. I get quite a few hangups so since I do not go into the productive water to get a bait I just tie on a new one. That is why I make my own baits instead of paying $$$ for them.

You know at first I thought you were being funny. Now I'm not so sure...

Hmm,

Perry

·
Registered
35 Posts
For me it all depends on the structure I'm fishing. If I'm fishing rocks I'll check my line every couple casts for nicks. For wood its a little less, maybe every 7 to 8 casts, I'll just run my line through my fingers. After each fish I check my the line right above the knot. If I have a dry spell I'll retie every 2 to 3 hours just to be sure. :thumbup01:

·
Premium Member
3,987 Posts
Retying is one of the most misunderstood elements of fishing. You need to retie if the line strength has been compromised. Not every line is the same regarding stress failures. Monofilament line made from extruded nylon, copolymer or fluorocarbon have very similar stress failure points. Knots that overheat and/or deform the line when clinched down, poorly tied knots, inappropriate knots for the application, knot left tied for over 24 hours.
Abrasion failures from damage to the line from sharp edges; rocks, hook barbs, zebra mussels, rod guides, fish teeth, etc. Line stretched from repeated casting of lures. Damaged line from backlashes or line twist.
The bottom line is retie whenever you feel a slight defect in the line or see a defect. Retie every outing, do not leave lures or clips tied over night. Retie often when you are making several casts; like fishing a crankbait. Change rods/reels about every hour when fishing nylon monofilament line, as the water absorbsion can weaken the line and knots.
Pull off about 5 to 6 feet of line when retieing, not just the few inches above the knot.
Tom
My vote = Often.

·
Registered
13,775 Posts
I check my line quite frequently. I re-tie as needed when I feel a nick or abrasion. I tie on new lures often enough that I feel (accurately or inaccurately), that I "re-tie" often enough. Where I could stand to improve, is on the couple of rods I may have snaps on for quick changing of lures. I'm sure I don't re-tie them as often as I should.
I'll try to remember to do so after this good reminder.
If I have a knot give way, or a line break, I just try to convince myself it had to have been a huge fish!!

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Topwater said:
Jig Man said:

You know at first I thought you were being funny. Now I'm not so sure...

Hmm,

Perry
No humor intended. I simply will not take my boat into water where the fish are unless I have a $15-20 bait hung up and I rarely use them. I buy all of my stuff in bulk by the hundreds on some items and thousands on others to minimize costs so I break off hung-up baits.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I check my lines frequently bad spots, retie when needed.Also, after a huge fight or nasty snag. I usually have something tied on 24/7,but after reading these posts I'm going to start each day with fresh knots.Thanks guys for putting a bug in my ear.

·
Premium Member
3,224 Posts
I went with "Every couple of catches or hookups or snags?" and will fall back on Tom's reasons why. Of the two situations getting seriously snagged really damages line, wherever it rubs on wood or rock, demanding a strip-off and retie. A striper getting on my bait calls for a retie every catch, the "teeth" doing considerable abrasive damage. After catching several bass in shallow water where I suspect they made the line contact something solid I'll retie just for insurance. Usually a high pitched whining vibration up the line tells me that has happened, but not always.

I try to run the line through two fingers while reeling a fish or bait is, hoping to detect the slightest line flaw. Sometimes I'll come across a bad spot on the first cast of all new line, wondering what happened down there.

Jim

·
Registered
380 Posts
I mostly use Power Pro or Fireline and don't check my line usually until I have a specific reason to do it like after getting hung up on a dock or getting wrapped by a fish on a dock or after catching a pike. I am usually pretty good about checking my line after catching pike. Naturally I will retie if I see my line has become frayed somewhere, which does happen from time to time. It seems like a few times a year I notice some fraying in a spot way up the line and I have to cut off a pretty good chuck of line. I think it must be from backlashes.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
seems like it all has been said already, I try to know what I am fishing around so I eyeball the line and whenever I see or feel somehing wrong i will retie

·
Premium Member
17,927 Posts
I voted for ' Every couple of catches or hookups or snags '

It realy just depends if I think the line has damage to it. Im more apt to re-tie more often if useing mono compaired to braid.

G

·
I check my line frequently as second nature after learning the "hard way" many times over 50+ of fishing. If I am fishing heavy cover brush, timber and anything that may damage my line, I'll check it more often than if I am fishing open water cranking, jerkbait etc. Used to check line by running it between my lips, but with the pollution that is out there now, that's not such a good idea anymore. Ya might come down with "palpetus of the punk" :sad2:
Check line often and cry less :D

·
Registered
300 Posts
I just wont take a chance, I have lost a lot of fish because of not retying, if I get a good fish, I'm retying, if I hit a limb, or that squirrel up in that tree, I'm retying, braided line is the worst for me, cause sometimes the line will be fr-aid enough that you can't see it and it Will snap, no, I don't care what kind of line I'm using, I'm retying period, line can be replaced, what about that fish of a life time, or that big check, is it really worth it, think about it, it mite take you know more then a minute to be sure the best line is in the water, Bryan.

·
Registered
380 Posts
The thing about break offs here in the North country is those toothy critters that make short work of breaking perfectly good line. Without seeing the fish you never know if you broke off from neglect or from the razor maw.

·
Premium Member
1,655 Posts
I try to check the line frequently. If it feels nicked, I cut it off and re-tie. If I'm fishing in rocks I check more often.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I usually retie before every fishing trip. With that being said after hangups I always check for fraid line. If it is fraid I retie, if not I recast. LOl

Roy

:flag2:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I check my line frequently as second nature after learning the "hard way" many times over 50+ of fishing. If I am fishing heavy cover brush, timber and anything that may damage my line, I'll check it more often than if I am fishing open water cranking, jerkbait etc. Used to check line by running it between my lips, but with the pollution that is out there now, that's not such a good idea anymore. Ya might come down with "palpetus of the punk" :sad2:
Check line often and cry less :D
I have to know where did you hear "palpetus of the punk" my dad is 85 from Strawberry Plains TN and he has said this his entire life. Actually he says it's "palpetus of the punk time" if we were sick. WHAT DOES IT MEAN and where did it come from??? Google that phrase and this is the only link it brings up. i must know, please reply!!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts