Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There was a question posed as to how to rig one of my ******* Frogs so I thought I would share how I rig any frog. I use a Mustad Ultra Point 5/0 hook with the holding stem. It will ruin the frog when you set the hook, but I have almost a 100% hook up ratio using this hook, and besides, a tournament paycheck buys a lotta' frogs! Below are step by step pics.

You take the hook peg and shove it into the center of the frog (head of the frog)

once that is done, this is what it will look like...

at which point you will then bunch the frog into almost a 90 degree bend and thread your hook point from the belly out through it's back...

then, texpose the point of the hook into the skin of the frog...

That is how I rig any plastic frog, and I use ******* frogs because the foot action is the best I have found, and the frog rides true accross the top of the water without having to use a 1/32oz weight like a lot of people use.

Good luck, and hope the pics have helped out!

G

·
I rig most of my frog baits like that. I have had great hook ups this way and
I have lost some baits with this setup as well. To me its still worth it.

Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I do the same thing but i like to occasionally use a 1/32 tungsten screw in weight to let the frog flutter down into holes in the mat, for this i use a zoom horney toad hook because you can screw the weight in the middle of the screw of the hook. I hope that makes sense. Dave

·
Registered
801 Posts
Still not using frogs... I lose enough fish as it is... Dang, I'm gonna have to try it soon... Do any of you use a dab of super glue to secure the frog?

·
Premium Member
3,987 Posts
Owners TwistLock w/center-pin spring doesn't tear the plastic and holds a little better on soft frogs. Texas Tackle offers this hook with a keel weight. I prefer the Gamakatsu Superline EWG hook with a 1/4 length of Peg-It through the hook eye to hold the soft plastic onto the hook, no exposed knot to pick up trash. Works for me.
Tom
note; they have clear Peg-it's now for translucent plastics.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts