Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellas:
I have been fishing a private lake that a friend moved onto and I am gut hooking a lot of fish caught on wacky rigged soft palstic stik baits. I usually use a 1/0 octapus for 4 inch sticks and 2/0 for 5 and 5 3/8 inch stiks and do not usually have this issue. The fish are not pressured much on this lake and are very agressive. I do not like the idea of killing fish I will not eat, I am basically a catch and release fisherman and could use some to help me prevent this gut hooking going on
Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,987 Posts
Owner or Gamakatsu wacky rig circle hook will eliminate the gut hooking. Also no reason the harm a gut hooked bass, if you learn how to remove the hook properly, we have a good link that illustrates the technique.
Tom

·
Premium Member
11,453 Posts
Once you learn the technique its really easy to remove those deep hooks. I would also say to try and set the hook quicker, not letting the fish get the bait so deep, it should not be a problem with aggressive striking fish.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks fellas, I have been somewhat introduced to that hook removal technique before, and I can help knicking the ocassional gil, Mo those Moto Hooks may be worth a try

·
Premium Member
3,987 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,888 Posts
Sometimes a faster hookset will help, I have found keeping the line between or over fingers helps in detecting a lite bite!

·
Premium Member
3,987 Posts
retired-psg said:
Sometimes a faster hookset will help, I have found keeping the line between or over fingers helps in detecting a lite bite!
+2, agree, keep in touch with the lure is doing at all times, bass don't have hands, if you detect any movement, a tick, set the hook.
Sometime young bass feeding in a school will inhale a soft plastic very quickly. Another alternative when bass are active, use a reaction lure.
Tom

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Retired-psg; I have moderate to severe neuropathy in my fingers , because of diabetese, cant feel line, there in lies the problem, I am pretty good at line watching and have been using the same rods forever so I am somewhat apadted to detecting bites with what feeling I do have

·
Premium Member
3,062 Posts
I had the same problem with plastics in general till I went to a bigger hook.No I wont use any hook under a 3/0.

·
Premium Member
6,888 Posts
PA Hooker said:
Retired-psg; I have moderate to severe neuropathy in my fingers , because of diabetese, cant feel line, there in lies the problem, I am pretty good at line watching and have been using the same rods forever so I am somewhat apadted to detecting bites with what feeling I do have
PA: OK got ya! was just a suggestion there is a mono that is yellow in the light and clear in the water, sorry can't remember the brand! That might be something that could help also.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for your input, I believe Stren came in that yellow for a while.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
I think Hawghunter uses a line like that, Lou. Trilene Transoptic, maybe?

PA, Hawgie has said that the line helps him. Good luck in the quest! :thumbup01:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Decided to go with 3/0 octupus and see what happens, have medical testng next 2 days, so I ownt be on the water until Thursday, Ill post if it makes a difference.

·
Registered
612 Posts
If you want to spare gut hooks you must use circle hooks. When you shop for them look at the product, I always select the thinnest ones, some are designed for fishing with bait and are very thick and make hooksets difficult. I use eagle claw I think, priced right and thin. I do bend the point a little bit to the side by about 1/16" and open the tip just a tiny bit. I have great success on hook-ups and always get a corner of the lip hook penetration.

·
Premium Member
3,987 Posts
billnorman said:
If you want to spare gut hooks you must use circle hooks. When you shop for them look at the product, I always select the thinnest ones, some are designed for fishing with bait and are very thick and make hooksets difficult. I use eagle claw I think, priced right and thin. I do bend the point a little bit to the side by about 1/16" and open the tip just a tiny bit. I have great success on hook-ups and always get a corner of the lip hook penetration.
+1 see comment #7 larger size hook may do more damage to gut hook bass internal organs.
Suggest to try both.
Tom

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
22 to the boat today, 11 wacky rigs, I went to the 3/0 octupus and was more dilligent with a quick hook set NO GUT HOOKS, thats a mjor improvement, of course this was but one trip now time will tell Thanks Retired-psg and Guppy!

·
Premium Member
6,888 Posts
PA glad I was able to help! Just never give up! :thumbup01: :thumbup01: :thumbup01: :thumbup01:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts