Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Little back ground first. I got the boat a couple months ago, it's used 2012 modle it has 2 HDS8 insight Gen1's with SI and DI also there is a puck in the front. I have had it out a couple times and the units worked great. With that said I am new to using anything this advaced and trying to learn.

I took the boat out for the fist time this year on Saturday and the front HDS on Chart was white had the arrow position but no map, contor lines, but was tracking. Not sure why it is doing this. The HDS at the console worked fine on the Chart page.

Second lost DI and SC during the trip. I was fishing trolling motor hit the bottom got away from the shore, looked at the unit saw I lost both but the sonar worked. I turned off both units waited a couple minutes, turned them both on and got no source showed up on the SI/DI screen. I called the dealership I got the boat from and said to check the conections. I checked conections at the front unit and the Structure Scan box. All seamed to be fine. Yesterday checked conections behind console unit, good , checked all fuses I could find with a multimeter good. Disconected all cables and reconected and swithch ports on the box and still got no source.

Any help would be great,

Joe

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
The first thing I'd do is make sure that the software was updated to the latest version.

I had a no source appear on my front unit a few times. It would come and go. A new ethernet cable fixed that problem.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Like JigMan said, a software update would be a good start if you need it. Current version for Gen1 is 4.1.36.68. Check yours at Menu, Menu, System, About. If software is current, perform a soft reset - with unit off, press and hold PAGES, then press and release PWR. Continue to hold PAGES until unit boots up completely. This should fix your Chart issue. Also check to be sure you have your map selection on either Lowrance or Navionics, depending on what chart database you are trying to use.

If you are getting No Source at both units, chances are you have an issue with the LSS box. No Source at just one unit would point toward a bad Ethernet cable. With everything powered, go to Menu, Menu, Network, Diagnostics, then arrow over to the UDB tab. Do this on both units. Here, you should either see Connected or Not Connected relative to your Ethernet link (how the StructureScan communicates with your head units). Also, look at your diagnostic lights on top of your LSS box. Report back with what you find. I am suspecting a power issue related to your LSS box. Make sure the yellow wire on the LSS power cable is hooked to switched input power, either from the yellow wire of your HDS 8 power cable, or from a switch.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I am at work now and will try to get to the boat tonight but it's my anniversary so got to put the wife first today.

I do know I have power going to the box (have green lights) but some are flashing fast. I called Lowrance and they think I have conection issues between the units and the transducer. I got to check on all of this.

On the chart issue Lowrance thinks I have Hi chart bubble is blue and should be black. I will let you guys know what I find.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I called Lowrance and got some help but have to send the box to them. I have to update my units also and I got some direction to getting my Chart back to normal. As far as I can tell. Too cold to pull the boat out of the garage right now to play with the Chart.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: HDS8 multiple issues Update

Lowrance sent me a new unit and I took the boat out today to make sure it worked. I am good to go. :D :D I give Lowrance customer service a big :thumbup01:

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bill, I only had to send my SI/ DI box back not my HDS 8. But I got it back and it works that's what matters. Glad to hear they took care of you. Make sure you check BBC Lowrance Images out about how these guys are mounting it with there boat level in the water.

·
Premium Member
896 Posts
Yep Joe. LowrAnce I think only makes the gen 2 black box now. It should say HD on the stracture scan bax if its the geb 2 box. Fen 1 says gen 1 in box. Yeah I coment and follow all the bbc lowrance threads. I seen where the ducer has to be water line level. The lls 2 ducer is 10.2 inches long. A lot longger than the lss 1 ducer is. Insatlling mine again as soon as the weather gets sunny out. I've went the last two weeks to about every lowrance class they had had here. John at fishermans head quaters is the best in driffenville ky. Call him anytime foe any questions Joe.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bill, Yes I have the LSS2 box and the 10.2" transducer. Mine is mounted on the pad and I am think about moving it inbetween my jack plate. I got a chance to talk to John at Fishermans Head Quarter a while back. They are verry helpful and knowledgeable. I just wish They were closer to where I live. I am going to try and get out on Saturday to fish Barkley out of Bumpus Mills. Waiting till 1 March to get my KY Lic. then I will start fishing north of the border.

·
Premium Member
896 Posts
Yeah understand that. Mosty all rangers are mounted under the pad from the factory. Using lss 1 ducers. You can make a bracket for the side of your jack plate to mount it. The ones their selling are big money. I was going to use my hole shot plate to mount mine on Joe but decided npt to. I'm mounting mine in between the jack plate at the bottom lowest area agisnt the transom. I will have protection that way and also not interfear with jack plate bounce from the sound waves. Its also easyier to get the lss 2 ducer level by mounting the lss 2 bracket agisnt the transom. A lot of adjustment that way. On a Ranger mounting flat on the pad sometimes won't bne level with the water line depending on gas -people gear,weight. Etc. Also you can fish down to blood river with a TN license. So your good good buddy. My jack plate is also a 10" plate so I have just enough room for mounting the lss 2 ducer. Call rangerodney at jeta marine about where and how their mounting all their Ranger boat !lls 2 ducers I mean. Jeta marine is in calvert city ky.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Bill, the people at Jet- A are first class people just a bit too far from me but they are helpfull over the phone. I want to fish the Blood and north of the border on Barkley wich once you cross the border lines you have to have the other states Lic. Oh by the way the Austin Peay tournament will be the second weekend of May there should be fliers out soon.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Bill, I took the boat out for a short time to check my electronics and everything is back working. I am headed out this weekend, not sure which lake yet. I am signed up for the USA Bassin Little River Tournaments and will be fishing around the 68/80 bridge on Barkley. I also have the 160th tournament 20 April on Barkley and the Austin Peay Tournament out of Parris landing 11 May. I will be getting on the water as much as I can to get ready for my schedual. I am also involved with a monthly fishing trip for the Wounded Wariors and will be helping out on there web site.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.