Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ya there is heavy presure small park lake that i fish alot and trying to catch the bass there is hard right now. i know there in the post spawn and man is it hard to get some good quality bites. i may catch one one or two small dinks but not any good ones. im fishn from the bank and fishn points and were i think some deeper water closest to wear they spawned and its hard to getem.... been getn a few dinks on plastics and rattle traps.... i guess its just so pressured and thats why. its kinda disapointing when you fish just about all day long and onl catch a couple that dont amount to anything....i know there is so good ones but cant getm to bite.
may have to just fish painfuly slow. but anywere else i can tear them up and get some real big ones but for some reason it just want pan out on the park lake lol. when the bass get back to normal feeding habbits and get out of the post spawn i can start catchn them on topwaters and flippen the shallow moss and grass on the banks with horny toads and plastics.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I know where you are coming from, as Sloppy Floyd has the same problem. During the months of January and February, the bass are easy to catch. March, April, and May are the hard months (unless you get them off bed), and fishing for post spawn bass is really tough. I don't know if they are locating in areas that I can not reach from the bank or what, but I have found a couple of things that have helped me in catching good bass, though.

The first is fishing a drop-shot. I will continue to fish it during the summer months, as well. I mainly use small finesse worms in natural colors.

The next thing that I do is fish a C-Rig until I can't stand it. And again, I will continue to fish it during the summer months as well. There have been days where the C-Rig would be the only thing that I threw after the top-water bite was done. For that, I use trick worms (straight tail worms) and centipedes.

Depending on the forage base, you might be able to try to target the bigger bass by throwing a swimbait. If they are feeding on shad mostly, get a swimbait that looks a lot like a shad. If it's bluegills/sunfish, then go that way.

Also, another thing you may try, is using larger worms on your C-Rig. Bigger baits = bigger bass 90% of the time. There is going to be that 10% where the bigger bass will prefer something smaller or the smaller bass will prefer a bigger meal, but mostly, the bites you get when using jumbo sized worms will come from the better bass in your body of water. :thumbup01:

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ya those are some good tips. i have a swim bait but i want use it unless im in a boat so if it gets hung i can get it. but like right now i can catch a few small ones on the grass line with a fluke or some type of top water but they really ant hitten top water good yet. so i guess im gona do the c-rig....although it kills me too but u gotta do wat ya gotta do lol. for the dropshot iv never even tired it lol. so might have to use a shaky head.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Basspro18 said:
ya those are some good tips. i have a swim bait but i want use it unless im in a boat so if it gets hung i can get it. but like right now i can catch a few small ones on the grass line with a fluke or some type of top water but they really ant hitten top water good yet. so i guess im gona do the c-rig....although it kills me too but u gotta do wat ya gotta do lol. for the dropshot iv never even tired it lol. so might have to use a shaky head.
try the storm swimbaits , their less expensive and work well (i use all 3 sizes of the crappie / bluegill, they crush em) , i like my $30 lures and like to get them back as well. also try this , after the spawn when there is a lot of fry around and the bass just dont want to bite you have to make them !, swim a big jig ( 1/2 to 1 oz ) and try and get it next to or in the balls of fry. swim it FAST and when you see the fry scatter let the jig drop and then rip it up a few times, you should get nailed if there are any bass near the fry. Try it with the swimbaits and a spinnerbait also but you generally want a fast fall, it kinda looks like something is swimming in trying to eat the fry and get out before it gets eaten. i dont like a c-rig but do enjoy fishing big worms and or senkos on light weights ( 1/32 to 1/16 ) purple ,smoke,or watermelon are my favs. let that one sink deep or in the deeper weeds and crawl it through slow, . I'm still experimenting with the drop shot , or brute shot lol (65lb braid and an oz lol ), the hard part is knowing the weed height without a boat. Then figuring out where they are in the weeds , i like a fluke for this so far. Also try a spoon ( hopkins) in 1/2 to 1 oz change the treble hook ( go bigger ) or i like an eagle claw single hook with the weed guard. cast it out a mile and rip it off the bottom. just my .02

·
Registered
455 Posts
I like to throw a Bass Assassin fluke...usually in the baby bass color or Arkansas shad. I rig it weightless on an offset shank hook. I never use weight when fishing this bait unless I'm on my boat fishing 10 plus ft.

I cast out and let her sink. Most of the time that's when they hit it...on the way down. Once it rests on the bottom, give her a light jerk, let her sink for a second and jerk again. That retrieve works best for me, especially in 5-10ft of water. Believe it or not, I use that same bait and same colors all year round!! It's great for fishing around laydowns, shallow water and heavy vegetation. very rarely do I get her hung up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.