Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner
21 - 22 of 22 Posts
Bass out of the right body of water can taste good IMO, but then again I grew up eating bass out of a very clean and clear deep lake where they didn't taste much different from a sunfish. I don't have a problem with people keeping bass under 14 inches or lots of little panfish.

In my world I am kind of lucky because when I am fishing with the crowds from shore in the Spring at the Grumpy Old Man Hole and the bass are schooled there, the bass are out of season and the CO stops by enough that someone would have to be crazy to think about keeping them; Not to mention us regulars wouldn't stand for someone keeping a fish out of season.

I agree with almost all the posts, I personally have kept most species to eat. How ever you must take into consideration that you must let the breeders go. I've found that most of the larger fish don't taste as good and I hate to see anything go to waste, so I've configured a list of what I'd keep.

Panfish 8" or larger
SM 2-3 lbs
pike 4-6 lbs
walleye 2-6 lbs depending on where I'm fishing
catfish and chain pickeral same as walleye
perch 12" or longer

That's about all I keep except for stripers but they're already in a slot limit ;)

21 - 22 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.