Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner

have u ever been there

6K views 21 replies 20 participants last post by  smokin joe 
#1 ·
have u ever been at a pond that u always fish and see some people that dont even know wat their doing cahtch a 5 plus bass and take it home and eat it
well i have and it makes me pretty mad

tell me wat u guys think of that

#2 ·
yeah been there done that bought the t-shirt but what gets to me is when i go to a lake and people are fishing and keeping everything they catch like panfish so small they look like shiners.. and i ask them what you going to do with them litte guys and they say eat them i look at them like they went and lost it heheheh

#4 ·
Yes there is a old quarry that I take my son and daughter to all the time.It's full of largemouth bass up to 5-6lbs these are huge bass(remember I'm in Canada) I have seen people from time to time catch and keep the bass they catch. I don't like to see this myself because we all know how beneficial these fish are to keeping the population healthy. What really gets me going is the amount of garbage that is left behind with no regard to the environment or the other people that fish or live there. I try to teach my son and daughter that we take out whatever we bring in garbage wise but it always seems like we end up taking other peoples junk out to. It just males me sick.

#6 ·
I agree with all of you. I seen this family carring about 30 blue gill (bait size) on a stringer at the Occoquan river in Va. while I was cat fishing , so I said something to them. They didn`t speek english so didn`t reply back. I had talked to a game warden at the begining of spring and he had told me that illegal aliens keep everything they catch and he had caught a bunch of them already this year.
If it`s being done to feed your family, because it`s needed or nessasary , thats one thing. If it`s being done just because, they should be fined heavy.
What really pisses me off is people who litter in the waters !!!!

#7 ·
Trash is left everywhere at the lake (at Little Buffalo State Park, Pa) in my hometown. There are alot of people from Harrisburg that come to the park, which is great, but they abuse the park. It disgusts me. You should leave the land in a better condition than when you got there. There is nothing hard about putting your trash in a trashcan.

As far as people taking fish from a body of water, yes i have been there. I don't really get mad, unless i believe they are abusing their fishing privelages. For many people catching a lunker is a grand prize and many find it hard to release it, they want to keep it and show it off the everyone. I think that people should only keep fish that they are going to consume.

#9 ·
What bothers me more than the trash and possible abuse of over fishing, is to be in a tournament as a co-angler and the boater catches a small gar. Then he takes a pair of long needle nose pliers, clamps down on both the upper and lower jaws breaking them, throwing the fish back into the lake and say, THERE YOU WON'T HIT MY BAIT EVER AGAIN. Goes against the entire concept of catch and release. I do not believe catch and release was meant only for bass.

grtwtbuf1

#10 ·
grtwtbuf1 said:
What bothers me more than the trash and possible abuse of over fishing, is to be in a tournament as a co-angler and the boater catches a small gar. Then he takes a pair of long needle nose pliers, clamps down on both the upper and lower jaws breaking them, throwing the fish back into the lake and say, THERE YOU WON'T HIT MY BAIT EVER AGAIN. Goes against the entire concept of catch and release. I do not believe catch and release was meant only for bass.

grtwtbuf1

Wow I've never heard of any club or organization condoning this type of behavior. I'd make sure he knew how offended I was :cussin: :cussin: :cussin:

As for the keeping everything part we call them the white bucket brigade here and we report them when we can OOS Fish, to small, etc......... It's sad to watch great fisheries die :sad2:

#12 ·
I am all for people keeping some fish to eat, but they need to be reasonable. Ponds and small lakes can have some of the best fishing there is. I have had days when the bass or crappie would hit anything and caught 100 plus fish in a day. I have also seen good ponds go to crap overnight because someone had a great day and took dozens of quality fish home to eat. They need to leave the good sized fish in the lake and take a few pan sized fish to eat.

#13 ·
My family's property is along a large stretch of river. When I was a kid you could catch fish all day. There were nice panfish, a good SM bass in the pools. A healthy population of trout. Around 10 years ago the trout stocking truck showed up. Now the river banks are wore out. The bass are same as gone. The panfish are now just the right size for bait. When a good panfish is caught its usually killed when people try to take the hook out. We posted the land. The damage is done its going to take years to get back if it ever does. Evey one kept or killed every thing hooked. :sad2:

#14 ·
basskid4657 said:
have u ever been at a pond that u always fish and see some people that dont even know wat their doing cahtch a 5 plus bass and take it home and eat it
well i have and it makes me pretty mad

tell me wat u guys think of that
I think it stinks, if its a small lake that person just took out a breeder which could very well be the only one of that size in there, those genes are gone now :sad2:

#16 ·
Man, I hate to see big fish go. How ever I think we need to teach the importance of SLECTIVE harvest. Not just small or large fish, no matter what the species. I think small bodies of water are the most susceptible. esp. when you take too many big fish and not enough small fish. I think we as anglers need to work a lot more on this.

#17 ·
they make me mad when they go out fish in private ponds and they leave trash and rut up the place cause there to lazy to walk 50 yard to the pond and cut trees down cause they cant cast there with out hitting the trees when the hole pond is open and they also keep all there fish they catch to that really makes me mad i was taught to keep it cleaner then when you got there and i respect that and others property

#18 ·
i too keep fish to take home and eat, but i will release the big breeders in favor of keeping fish in the 14-18 in range,its better for your health as younger fish will have lower levels of toxins and heavy metals than larger ones, also i like to catch the same big bass over and over again, in fact some i know are the only ones of that size in the body of water i keep tabs on over the years, and i also hate seeing people leave their trash, and god help you if your in my boat doing this, i will make you swim after it no joke. i think the over harvest is from people who dont know that lakes rivers and ponds arent just holes in the ground that open to different demintion that hold endless supplies of fish, i see this same thought process with many people fishing in the ocean, yes its not as noticeable but when you take more than your share it makes a dent., it all boils down to ignorance and lack of respect for our world, when you start separating our home into outdoors and the real world your in trouble. i have to stop now or i wont lol

#20 ·
I have no problem with people taking fish home to eat. I do it quite often myself but there are limitations... why would anybody take a large mouth bass home to eat... they dont even taste good.. and small bluegills? I like to fish for perch walleye and catfish to eat thats about it. mostly catfish and walleye now used to go for perch when i fished in lake erie allot

#21 ·
Bass out of the right body of water can taste good IMO, but then again I grew up eating bass out of a very clean and clear deep lake where they didn't taste much different from a sunfish. I don't have a problem with people keeping bass under 14 inches or lots of little panfish.

In my world I am kind of lucky because when I am fishing with the crowds from shore in the Spring at the Grumpy Old Man Hole and the bass are schooled there, the bass are out of season and the CO stops by enough that someone would have to be crazy to think about keeping them; Not to mention us regulars wouldn't stand for someone keeping a fish out of season.

#22 ·
I agree with almost all the posts, I personally have kept most species to eat. How ever you must take into consideration that you must let the breeders go. I've found that most of the larger fish don't taste as good and I hate to see anything go to waste, so I've configured a list of what I'd keep.

Panfish 8" or larger
SM 2-3 lbs
pike 4-6 lbs
walleye 2-6 lbs depending on where I'm fishing
catfish and chain pickeral same as walleye
perch 12" or longer

That's about all I keep except for stripers but they're already in a slot limit ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.