Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went for a bit today on the Harris Chain. Trying different spots for my tournament next Saturday ( week from tomorrow )

I start the day by hooking up with the mother of all soft-shell turtles. She was a HOSS ! I was debating on getting the camera from under the seat, trying to free my hook, or just cut the line. Ummm, call me a chicken, after I seen the size of her head and mouth, I opted to just cut the line and say the heck with the camera. :idea:

I hit a finger off of a canal and work it all the way around and just before I was to hit the main canal again, I pitched a weighted Alluring Salty Stick and BAM !!! I get one a little over 4 pounds.

Everywhere else I tried was just to windy for me to be in.

Suppose to go in the morning with a friend and will TRY to go back at least 1 more time next week. ( not comfortable with the fish I have found )

·
Premium Member
13,633 Posts
Nice looking bass there Rodney! :clap:

I wanted to see the turtle!! bawk bawk!! :tongue2: :rofl1: :rofl1:

·
Premium Member
17,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, call me chicken little ( the sky is falling lol )

I was gonna take a picture of this gator that was in a person's yard, but before I could get my camera the gator came off of probably a 3 -4 foot embankment back into the water. ( thats how high it came out of the water to get in their yard to start with... from what I could tell )
I probably seen 6 gators today.

T

·
0 Posts
Nice looking fish and good luck tomorrow if you go fishing.

:fishing01: :fishing02:

·
Premium Member
17,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yesterday's fishing trip wasnt worth a dime ! We launched from Buzzard Beach and went into Haines Creek to the locks. Had to wait till 7 I believe for them to open for business.
We get to Lake Griffin and was greated by massive fog. We find this one canal Al was wanting to fish. Looks like the county or someone had went in there and sprayed all the pads. He had 1 fish blow up on a fluke.

We go back to Haines Creek as he didnt want to run to the Oklawaha River in Fog. We mess around there for awhile waiting on the fog to lift.

Fog lifted pretty good, so we go went back to Griffen and to the Oklawaha River. Ran it a pretty good ways when Al says his boat is useing to much gas. So fished a few areas there and NADDA.

Make our way back into Lake Eustis and fish a few spots and NADDA.

Highlight of the day, a double decker house boat ( a lake cruise ) came by us close and made some good wakes and Al went off the front of his boat. lol

·
Premium Member
17,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also forgot to mention, as we was flying down the Oklawaha River we hit a nice little speed bump in the water ( a gator ) went back to see if had surface , but he didnt.

K

·
0 Posts
Sorry about the fishing. Glad you and your buddy didn't get hurt by the big wake or the Gator. Falling off the boat is pretty funny :rofl1:

·
Registered
641 Posts
Rodney, did you check that canal down in little Harris I told you about last year? Don't forget that canal in Eustis on the North side 2/3's the way to the East that starts in around behind that little point where my buddy caught that 9 pounder a month and half ago. Good luck man!!

·
Premium Member
17,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Shannon, I got that 4+ pounder ( in the picture ) in the first canal on Little Lake Harris... I think the guy I was with last year is going to the second canal.( where I got that 7.43 pounder )

My Aunt lives on the 3rd canal ( finaly found her place ) so I plan on trying there as well. ( have got a few out from that area )

With that 50hp I have, I dont think it would be wise on my part to run to Lake Eustis , with us launching out of Hickory Point.

Keith, it was funny seeing him fall in.

·
Premium Member
17,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
TCB, I will let you know all I can come Saturday late afternoon. ( whoever does good I will ask where and how they got them )

Because of low water conditions, we are now launching from the ramp on HWY 27. A few people have hit something launching at Hickory Point. One guy took a 1/4 inch chunk out of his prop.

·
Premium Member
17,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Its pretty darn low. Going across Little Lake Harris, I never went over 6 feet of water on the path I took. I know it is deeper in sections, but not where I was.

I was in a canal today with my wife ( she wanted to go today with me ) 1 1/2 foot of water in it. Clear as a bell with quite a bit of hydrilla in it.

I landed 2 and missed 1 out of there. I could see PILES of small bass in there BUT couldnt get them to bite !! I seen a few that would go close to 3 pounds as well.
I seen this one close to 12 inches and he would chase little minnows about 3 feet and quit. I tried a fluke , senko, small crank, hula grub,.

Also seen this one fish, ( couldnt get a close look at it,) but it was solid WHITE. Not PALE color, but WHITE ! Judging from its image, id say he was pushing the 3 pound mark.

·
Banned
539 Posts
Anyway to get at em with topwater or floating plastic? I bet that drove ya crazy to be able to see them and have them swim by kinda thumbing their fins at you.

·
Premium Member
17,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I tried that as well ( seen some bluegil in there so I tried that color for top water ). And yes it did drive me bonkers big time.

I had one pick a weightless fluke up move it about 2 feet and drop it. Of course my wife says, pretty smart fish huh lol. ( we could see all the action going on )

One that I did catch on the fluke I seen him when he hit it and ran with it about 10 feet before I set the hook ( and still didnt think he had it in his mouth )

·
Premium Member
17,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not sure if this will show the water, but this is from today ( water ranged from 1 1/2 -- 2 1/2 feet ... boats that are there in their lifts cant get out because of low or no water by them )

·
Banned
539 Posts
Yep, that last one clearly gives a good perspective on H20 depth. Nice little stump knockers, ya get anything bigger, the last one look like it may measure.

Thanks for the report

·
Premium Member
17,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, im to tired to give a good account of today. ( will do it later )

TCB, A few in our club went to Lake Eustis and did well. ( winning weight was 15+ ) I didnt find out where exactly, just Lake Eustis. Sorry, I couldnt help you out anymore then that.

I went back to Little Lake Harris in the canals ( wind was whipping big time today ) I got SOAKED crossing Big Lake Harris . Only managed 1 keeper ( 3.31# ) Had a couple smaller ones ( Junebug Alluring Salty Stick ' senko type bait ) and the smaller ones was on a weightless watermellon / red fluke.

You can see how wet I am in this pic lol

1 - 20 of 22 Posts